follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry but the wrog wheels are chattering there.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Sorry but the wrog wheels are chattering there.
ahahah yeah i cant wait till i switch to a rwd platform

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
Celicadude

Drives: Celica gts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
As a current owner of an 03 6 speed celica gts I can honestly say it has been the greatest car I've owned (granted my first car was an auto celica gt ). Its been great on gas for the performance, and I never really had any problems except for screeching belts every 20k miles or so and the passenger door actuator going bad. The old girl is getting old though and I honestly cant wait for the FRS/BRZ. I have to see it in person before I buy, but it seems to be a really good replacement for the celica. I know it's not part of the celica lineage and is more related to the AE86, but the toyota sports car heritage is definitely there. Also I do see some similarities to the 7th gen celica in the layout of the interior like the layout of the tach/speedo (reversed in celica though), and button locations around the shifter (celica window switches/FRS TCS button).

On a side note though, the 180 listed hp was based on the old sae power ratings, so the power difference between the celica and FRS will most likely be more. Does anyone know of a way of converting the old horsepower ratings to the new ratings?
Celicadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #18
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celicadude View Post
As a current owner of an 03 6 speed celica gts I can honestly say it has been the greatest car I've owned (granted my first car was an auto celica gt ). Its been great on gas for the performance, and I never really had any problems except for screeching belts every 20k miles or so and the passenger door actuator going bad. The old girl is getting old though and I honestly cant wait for the FRS/BRZ. I have to see it in person before I buy, but it seems to be a really good replacement for the celica. I know it's not part of the celica lineage and is more related to the AE86, but the toyota sports car heritage is definitely there. Also I do see some similarities to the 7th gen celica in the layout of the interior like the layout of the tach/speedo (reversed in celica though), and button locations around the shifter (celica window switches/FRS TCS button).

On a side note though, the 180 listed hp was based on the old sae power ratings, so the power difference between the celica and FRS will most likely be more. Does anyone know of a way of converting the old horsepower ratings to the new ratings?
i got 161 whp on my first dyno so its 10whp off the 86's 171 whp

i saw 151-165whp depending on dyno, engine, age, and a few other factors, im running at 18x whp atm , 19x with hydra stand alone

my celica is getting old too made in 1999 lol she runs strong i hit that fuel cut off every day, been doing it for a while now too

i just hope the FA20 is as reliable as my 2zz-ge is

things ive replaced on my celica
fuel filter (clogged)
spark plugs (maintenance, not because the part failed)
vacuum lines (maintenance, not because the part failed)
collant lines (maintenance, not because the part failed)

things that need to be replaced
shocks (i treat my tires like they deserve to die, inherently the suspension takes a toll)

things ive added
cold air
ported trial headers
resonator delete
trd exhaust
high flow cat
trd jdm clutch
hydra ems

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #19
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
FWD torque (~120?) oversteer doesnt exist.
Say what you want but I owned the car before and after it had LSD and it was able to turn in noticeably more holding a tighter line after LSD.
Quote:
The mules are subaru, the parts are subaru, the builders are subaru... yet it couldnt have happened without toyota, but its not because of their engineers.
^Restating the obvious and agrees with what I originally said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez
This is where Toyota heritage counts as the foundation beneath Subaru engineering... chassis balance comes before power/hi-tech features.
Edit: You missed my point then I think I missed your point but I see what you're trying to debate now. Yes the chassis and balance had to be engineered primarily by Subaru but chassis and balance has always been a key theme in Toyota RWD sports car developments (the first and perhaps only FR boxer car was the Toyota 800, NOT a Subaru) whereas power/hi-tech has been Subaru's forte. This is how heritage (who's heritage?) could have paved the way for this car to exist.

Also, engineering is grunt work that can [generally] be outsourced provided the people in charge provide clear design objectives and the grunts are competent. My livelihood has been adversely affected by outsourcing but I'm still at it working with colleague engineers overseas. In this case, Toyota outsourced to Subaru.

Last edited by switchlanez; 03-14-2012 at 04:34 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #20
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelReign View Post
Why'd you get rid of your Celica GT-S? and your MR-S?
I kept my Celica for almost a year after I got my MR-S. I realized it was unwise to have 2 depreciating assets that were too similar so I sold the higher mileage Celica (getting laid-off influenced that) and wanted to keep the 2-seater since I was single with no need for cargo space.

Then went through a couple MkII MR2s while owning the MR-S. Found myself in the same depreciating asset/similar cars predicament so I chose the car with more exotic styling, fixed roof, more weight (for safety), and frunk+trunk and sold the MR-S. Those were all the Toyotas I've owned. Then wanted to try something different (G35). The low-end torque was alright but within a year I realized I missed wringing out those small 4-banger agile Toyotas.

My dad has had Supras (Mk II, III, and IV), a '90s Toyota Pickup, Tacoma, 4Runner, mom drives a Prius, brother an SC400. Toyota runs deep in my family.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #21
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
I kept my Celica for almost a year after I got my MR-S. I realized it was unwise to have 2 depreciating assets that were too similar so I sold the higher mileage Celica (getting laid-off influenced that) and wanted to keep the 2-seater since I was single with no need for cargo space.

Then went through a couple MkII MR2s while owning the MR-S. Found myself in the same depreciating asset/similar cars predicament so I chose the car with more exotic styling, fixed roof, more weight (for safety), and frunk+trunk and sold the MR-S. Those were all the Toyotas I've owned. Then wanted to try something different (G35). The low-end torque was alright but within a year I realized I missed wringing out those small 4-banger agile Toyotas.

My dad has had Supras (Mk II, III, and IV), a '90s Toyota Pickup, Tacoma, 4Runner, mom drives a Prius, brother an SC400. Toyota runs deep in my family.
theres something about it that i love aswell, and i dont fully understand why i love it either but i do and will stay true

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #22
EvoFanatic

Drives: Evo X
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Also, engineering is grunt work that can [generally] be outsourced provided the people in charge provide clear design objectives and the grunts are competent. My livelihood has been adversely affected by outsourcing but I'm still at it working with colleague engineers overseas. In this case, Toyota outsourced to Subaru.
This made me lol. If you really think engineering is grunt work then you clearly know nothing about real engineering. Great engineers are the foundation of almost every company and you can always tell when a company chooses to outsource engineering work. They will have a crap product that is highly over priced. Also, Toyota did not outsource to Subaru, it was a co-op and as such I'm sure each individual company had equal inputs on how the car will be made. If you are curious as to what a real engineer does during his day I invite you to come to my work place and see my colleague and I work, as we are clearly the backbone of our companies productivity and quality.
EvoFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #23
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

^You're right, I was an exaggerating. In what areas of engineering do you work? Not all engineering is grunt work but some lower level stuff can be outsourced or executed by a 3rd party at least in areas I've worked (software development and testing) assuming there's competence. Any higher level engineering, usually in-house, is key. I was imagining something similar in engineering a car but if anyone has firsthand experience, please enlighten us!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
^You're right, I was an exaggerating. In what areas of engineering do you work? Not all engineering is grunt work but some lower level stuff can be outsourced or executed by a 3rd party at least in areas I've worked (software development and testing) assuming there's competence. Any higher level engineering, usually in-house, is key. I was imagining something similar in engineering a car but if anyone has firsthand experience, please enlighten us!
they guy above you is right is was a co-op to make the car cheap for us, there is no way in hell this car with all the research and devotion would spit out a car in the us for under 25k for what we get

things subaru had that toyota needed

the engine layout
manufacturing plant - since the 86 has a shortened platform of the impreza, subaru already had a plant that could make the car with a few minor changes to the assembly line and wouldn't have to spend millions on a new assembly line and plant

things subaru needed that toyota had
MONEY

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x