follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: How many 86 owners are planning on getting the Supra?
I'm definitely getting one 32 12.17%
I might get one if they offer a MT 100 38.02%
No, not me. 131 49.81%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #1261
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
iirc, the Supra chassis is bigger than the 86. the hood is also longer as well.
Supra has a shorter wheelbase, 97" vs. 101" for the FT86.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #1262
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
iirc, the Supra chassis is bigger than the 86. the hood is also longer as well.
Correct, Supra is longer and wider than 86.

Overall length
Supra - 172.5"
86 - 168.8"

Overall Width
Supra - 73"
86 - 69.9"
Old 06-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #1263
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Correct, Supra is longer and wider than 86.

Overall length
Supra - 172.5"
86 - 168.8"

Overall Width
Supra - 73"
86 - 69.9"
4" of hood, rear hatch, and wheel width do not negate the fucked upedness that is German engineering and definitions of 'accessibility'

Seriously, the engine is much longer than the FA20 so 4" of length is not 'more space' than the 86 has and we're going from 7" wide wheels to 9"/10" so that's 6" of wheel width added in the back, 4" in the front.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:58 PM   #1264
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
gymratter (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:25 PM   #1265
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
NITRO YELLOW FTW!!!!!
gymratter (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #1266
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
NITRO YELLOW FTW!!!!!
Yellow was pretty. Downshift Blue was surprisingly good in person too. But still my fav is Phantom Grey.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:28 PM   #1267
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Have a look at the Supra's bare chassis and drivetrain

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/hav...ivetrain.1849/

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfs2RKwBK7Q[/ame]
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-07-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 12:17 AM   #1268
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
It could be the best value 2 door, 2 seater BMW in Australia.......

The Zupra GT is $94k and the GTS is $104k.

I wonder in Nissan drop something on us? There was something in the wind a while ago IRT a boosted Z.

That would give the BMW some serious competition.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #1269
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
So much wrong here. If weight doesn't matter then how does a 175hp/100tq motorcycle get to 190mph? Power/weight isn't all that matters either or a motorcycle would just as easily get over 200mph as an equally power/weight car, but they can't because they lack the torque to cut through the air resistance. Big torque without horsepower doesn't help without gearing or diesel trucks would be hitting 200mph too.
Motorcycles have an entirely different frontal area! And how motorcycles came into the discussion? My god ..

Quote:
The 2.0T in the Cayman is hitting roughly 300hp/280tq. The 2.5T is hitting 350hp/310tq. How is that far from the competition? Are you familiar with the Golf R or Civic Type R?
The 2.0T Cayman's power has been underrated from the factory in a similar fashion like the Supra appearing in the Car&Driver's dyno video. Same about the 2.5T. Anyway if you want believe it , if you don't want fine for me. Fact is that people that had a chance to really drive it were impressed by the engine power. Golf R is back on power levels. About Honda I said that it is close, but it looks that you just want to argue for the argue ...

Quote:
Subaru is building a WRX with 300/300 because they have the STI for that power level, and they managed to get there for far cheaper than Porsche, and the fact that it doesn't exist doesn't mean they can't. Good god man
WRX STI cannot be sold anymore here because of the regulations. They cannot deal with regulations, not that they can't do it in general.

Anyway, the importance of the topic here is that when comparing Supra, M2, Cayman is to keep in mind that Cayman is a 4 cylinder engine. For some this might be worse (more cylinders better right?), for others that are worrying also about consumption in ordinary driving situations it might be good. That's all!
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:45 AM   #1270
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Surprised nobody has commented on the general consensus so far that Toyota has tuned their suspension above and beyond the Bimmers (M2 or Z4).
The suspension of the Supra is softer comparing to the one of the Z4. This is a bit weird. Someone would expect the suspension of the convertible to be more comfortable and the suspension of the coupe to be more hardcore and to the limit. This is certainly something that will be addressed by the tuners! They are already working on it.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:25 AM   #1271
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Motorcycles have an entirely different frontal area! And how motorcycles came into the discussion? My god ..

The 2.0T Cayman's power has been underrated from the factory in a similar fashion like the Supra appearing in the Car&Driver's dyno video. Same about the 2.5T. Anyway if you want believe it , if you don't want fine for me. Fact is that people that had a chance to really drive it were impressed by the engine power. Golf R is back on power levels. About Honda I said that it is close, but it looks that you just want to argue for the argue ...
Sorry man. Sometimes it is hard to perceive the intellectual faculties of a person online. If you are struggling to understand analogies or examples then I can try to use smaller words.

I'm quoting you:

Quote:
I mentioned top speed which is related mainly with engine's power.
This statement is entirely incorrect. Oh sorry, I forgot--small words. Those words put next to each other is a big boo boo silly head. Many different things with engines and tires with less horsepower can have a faster top speed. We see these things when we look at examples at the extremes, which is just a big bad big word (I know sorry again) for things that have really big stufff and really small stuff like big trucks with big torque and small bikes with small horsepower.

------

Again, have you seen the dynos from any other performance cars out there with a 2.0T or 2.5T, or is the Cayman your only example? If you haven't then check out the Focus RS, Golf R, Civic Type R, STI, Evos, Lexus, Jaguar, anything. Have you seen how much power can be had from a tune or basic bolt ons and upping the boost? I'm with @abraxis, any motor can be underrated from the factory and get the boost turned up. Here is a 2015 WRX [$25k car (not the STI)] with a FA20DIT making 344wtq and 313whp with a tune and a few bolt ons:

https://www.cobbtuning.com/2015_wrx_tuning_results/

Here is a 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR FQ-360, which came from the factory with 366hp and 363tq from a 2.0T in, again, 2007, from again, Mitsubishi. I like this line: "By comparison, the Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, which costs almost twice as much, takes 0.9 seconds longer to reach 60mph from rest."

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/mitsub...0-ar18927.html

Can you actually give any evidence for this statement?

Quote:
Porsche is currently WAY FAR from competition in this area.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:52 AM   #1272
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
The suspension of the Supra is softer comparing to the one of the Z4. This is a bit weird. Someone would expect the suspension of the convertible to be more comfortable and the suspension of the coupe to be more hardcore and to the limit. This is certainly something that will be addressed by the tuners! They are already working on it.
A Supra chassis that is stiffer than the Lexus LFA with a stiff suspension would not only be miserable to live with, but would probably perform poorly except on perfectly flat pavement or a track, and even that is questionable. This goes the same for the Z4, even being pretty stiff for a convertible; putting soft suspension on a chassis that is already has flex because it is a convertible is not ideal if performance is at all being considered.

Take an example from another type of motorsports--Motogp (I know. Motorcycles again, but try to follow because the same principles apply). They learned that they couldn't just keep making the chassis stiffer because in a lean, where the vertical suspension was negated, it was necessary to have chassis flex. Similarly, if the Supra had stiff suspension and a stiff chassis then the car would be bouncing down the road, so something had to give. In their case, a stiffer chassis with softer, adjustable suspension is the better setup than the Z4's softer chassis and stiffer suspension, yet the Z4's hands were tied in this situation.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/10/1...g-races#page-2
gymratter (06-18-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 05:56 AM   #1273
nikitopo

Quote:
Again, have you seen the dynos from any other performance cars out there with a 2.0T or 2.5T, or is the Cayman your only example? If you haven't then check out the Focus RS, Golf R, Civic Type R, STI, Evos, Lexus, Jaguar, anything. Have you seen how much power can be had from a tune or basic bolt ons and upping the boost? I'm with @abraxis, any motor can be underrated from the factory and get the boost turned up. Here is a 2015 WRX [$25k car (not the STI)] with a FA20DIT making 344wtq and 313whp with a tune and a few bolt ons:
Can you actually give any evidence for this statement?
We were talking on a specific context which is comparing Supra, M2, Cayman. Not about motorcycles, not about non factory spec cars, not about what tuners can do, not about cars dating back to 2007 with different regulations and so on. It is useless trying to take single propositions out of the general context and misquote people. If you want to play, then play a fair game within the rules!
Lol. It is that simple. If you can mention some other interesting modern 2.0lt 4 cylinder factory spec engine apart from Honda (we said this one is nice) please do! Maybe I am missing some interesting engine . And all this discussion is within the topic. BMW & Toyota were saying they were targeting to make a competitor of the Porsche Boxster/Cayman.

Quote:
A Supra chassis that is stiffer than the Lexus LFA with a stiff suspension would not only be miserable to live with, but would probably perform poorly except on perfectly flat pavement or a track, and even that is questionable. This goes the same for the Z4, even being pretty stiff for a convertible; putting soft suspension on a chassis that is already has flex because it is a convertible is not ideal if performance is at all being considered.
Maybe you didn't understand my statement. The Z4 has an overall stiffer setup (chassis+suspension). This is what journalists were saying, unless they were wrong. Supra has an overall softer setup which is better for road. However, again it is weird. Someone would expect the coupe car with the more aggressive lines and design to be more focused for the track and not the other way around. So, I would expect Z4 to have the softer setup (more road oriented) and Supra the stiffer setup (more track oriented). Anyway, this is my personal perception. It doesn't mean that everyone should think like me and it looks that factories (BMW & Toyota) had other priorities. There were complains that the previous Z4 was too soft and maybe they changed it now.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #1274
Irace86.2.0

Let's recap:

Quote:
The new Cayman is an amazing car and pretty much unbelievable to be in same performance category with Supra and M2 which are 6 cylinder engines with turbo. There were some tests recently here in autobahn and it could easily top 275 km/h (170 mph). It could accelerate even more, but not so easy with the traffic. Just incredible result from such a small 2,0 liter engine.
Quote:
^cuz it weights less, not much too it lol
Quote:
Lol. No, you don't get it. Weight helps only in acceleration and especially in low gears. I mentioned top speed which is related mainly with engine's power. None of these cars has a terrible Cd value, so top speed is mainly because of power. I didn't say that Supra doesn't have a powerful engine, but comparing a 4 cylinder with a 6 cylinder engine is a night to day difference. Do you know how much power the 2.0 lt engine in Z4 makes? Porsche is currently WAY FAR from competition in this area.

And by the way... Subaru would be dreaming to have Porsche's engine. They designed the FA20DIT engine some years ago, but they couldn't achieve this result. Only with the EJ20 engines they make it, but they are an outdated design and cannot be sold outside domestic market. Probably Honda is close in engine technology, but not with a boxer design.
Then I mention how all of that was false. The Porsche hits a faster top speed because of gearing and weight because weight matters. It may be hard to understand how weight could matter with just a few hundred pounds difference, so we could look at motorbikes or lighter cars like a Lotus to better illustrate the effects of power to weight ratio.

And it isn't a night and day difference when those cars compete in relative price markets, and then you compare a Porsche to an engine in a $25k car...??? Just because they don't make it doesn't mean they can't. They probably don't because it might cost more than $25k.

Quote:
We were talking on a specific context which is comparing Supra, M2, Cayman. Not about motorcycles, not about non factory spec cars, not about what tuners can do, not about cars dating back to 2007 with different regulations and so on. It is useless trying to take single propositions out of the general context and misquote people. If you want to play, then play a fair game within the rules!
Lol. It is that simple. If you can mention some other interesting modern 2.0lt 4 cylinder factory spec engine apart from Honda (we said this one is nice) please do! Maybe I am missing some interesting engine . And all this discussion is within the topic. BMW & Toyota were saying they were targeting to make a competitor of the Porsche Boxster/Cayman.
I still haven't heard why the Porsche 2.0T or 2.5T is interesting. Maybe if you define a few metrics of what you believe is interesting about the Porsche motor then I will find some examples that satisfy those same metrics.

Quote:
Maybe you didn't understand my statement. The Z4 has an overall stiffer setup (chassis+suspension). This is what journalists were saying, unless they were wrong. Supra has an overall softer setup which is better for road. However, again it is weird. Someone would expect the coupe car with the more aggressive lines and design to be more focused for the track and not the other way around. So, I would expect Z4 to have the softer setup (more road oriented) and Supra the stiffer setup (more track oriented). Anyway, this is my personal perception. It doesn't mean that everyone should think like me and it looks that factories (BMW & Toyota) had other priorities. There were complains that the previous Z4 was too soft and maybe they changed it now.
They improved the torsional stiffness of the Z4 a lot as you said because of complaints, claiming that it is now actually stiffer than any open top roadster ever, and even stiffer than the M2 or M3 coupe or something. Maybe they went with the old formula of stiffer suspension with a soft chassis, but forgot the car was stiffer (unlikely), or they were just chasing Nurburgring times knowing their car was competing with and co-developed with the Supra (Z4 was faster than the M2 Competition).

Regardless, I believe the Supra has a stiffer chassis than the Z4, so it can afford a softer suspension (who knows if the adaptive suspension was modified in all these reviews to its softest or stiffest setting), which can give a false feeling that the total package is softer (chassis + suspension, like you said); maybe it absorbs bumps better than the Z4 and that was the difference, but overall still has a stiffer package (chassis + suspension). It is hard to know empirically from reviews.
gymratter (06-18-2019)