follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
davisk6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonFYIA View Post
So after reading for a bit I get the impression that everyone here is a pro driver and this is just one more car in their long line of badass cars. I however am a novice and this is my first car even capable of driving aggressively.

I feel like a turd asking but can anyone give me some tips for breaking the back end loose in a controllable fashion? I've managed to turn off the VCS and Trac and spin around wildly in a parking lot but nothing even close to controllable.

Should I leave it in normal drive? Manual mode? trac all the way off? VCS Sports mode? Normal Sports mode?

Sorry for asking so many questions. (For the record once I can get the time and money I do intend to attend a HPDE but that is a ways off and I'd like to have some fun before then.)
Your profile says PA, so you may want to check out Club Loose in Englishtown NJ. They run "clinic" events at Englishtown Raceway Park on Wednesday nights. Check out their "Night Moves" schedule. These guys are awesome and you will learn a lot, if drifting is your thing.

http://www.clubloose.com/clubloose/i...p/the-schedule
davisk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonFYIA View Post
So after reading for a bit I get the impression that everyone here is a pro driver and this is just one more car in their long line of badass cars. I however am a novice and this is my first car even capable of driving aggressively.

I feel like a turd asking but can anyone give me some tips for breaking the back end loose in a controllable fashion? I've managed to turn off the VCS and Trac and spin around wildly in a parking lot but nothing even close to controllable.

Should I leave it in normal drive? Manual mode? trac all the way off? VCS Sports mode? Normal Sports mode?

Sorry for asking so many questions. (For the record once I can get the time and money I do intend to attend a HPDE but that is a ways off and I'd like to have some fun before then.)
I havent ever tried it in an auto, but this would be my best guess: Manual mode & sport mode on for trans. VSC and TRAC off for vehicle.

1st gear, go WOT and then cut the wheel hard at WOT, then get completely out of the gas rapidly, yank the e-brake, and nail the throttle again. That should initiate a slide.

On a side note, you can just get it started in a donut and learn to control it from that - you can initiate a drift out of a donut once you get the hang of it. You couls also put out 2 cones and learn to drift figure 8s around them at low speeds.

Be sure you have budget for tires first though - you will go through them more rapidly than you would think.
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
BrandonFYIA

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisk6 View Post
Your profile says PA, so you may want to check out Club Loose in Englishtown NJ. They run "clinic" events at Englishtown Raceway Park on Wednesday nights. Check out their "Night Moves" schedule. These guys are awesome and you will learn a lot, if drifting is your thing.

http://www.clubloose.com/clubloose/i...p/the-schedule
This sounds awesome but Im on the west side of PA and thats about an 8 hour trip for me. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
I havent ever tried it in an auto, but this would be my best guess: Manual mode & sport mode on for trans. VSC and TRAC off for vehicle.

1st gear, go WOT and then cut the wheel hard at WOT, then get completely out of the gas rapidly, yank the e-brake, and nail the throttle again. That should initiate a slide.

On a side note, you can just get it started in a donut and learn to control it from that - you can initiate a drift out of a donut once you get the hang of it. You couls also put out 2 cones and learn to drift figure 8s around them at low speeds.

Be sure you have budget for tires first though - you will go through them more rapidly than you would think.
This is the info I was looking for. Thank you! I was able to do my first perfect doughnut yesterday. It was magical.
BrandonFYIA is offline   Reply With Quote