follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2018, 05:13 AM   #1
azonic

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Center console - headunit connected USB

I set about upgrading my head unit recently to one with Apple Car play (Kenwood DDX917WS), which requires a USB connection. I prefer to keep my phone in the center console charging, but it's not possible to do this and connect to the USB without a long USB cable up to the front of the vehicle. I'm a neat freak in the car, so wanted a better solution.

I knew what I wanted - a replacement for the 12v accessory port in the center console with USB leads and thanks to a single comment in a buried thread in here, managed to find what I needed, RERII USB mounts:

These are available on Amazon in a few different versions. I bought this one with two USB ports:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Flush-Mou...keywords=rerii

But under the link you'll see other versions with one USB and a 3.5mm jack or HDMI etc. They also come in 1m or 2m versions - the 1m version is perfect.

It cost me about $20 landed from New York to South Australia in about a week - easy!

Whilst searching I also found the following on the site "newfrog". I googled the site a little bit and the reviews were not positive and after paying (via paypal) I got no further info, but for $8 shipped I figured it would be worth a shot.. and it turned up just fine after a couple of weeks.

https://www.newfrog.com/product/2-po...CABEgI6LPD_BwE

The key difference between these two was that the first had two usbs, each with the own lead and both able to carry data. If you have a headunit that has two USB leads and want them both in the center console, you want the first link. The second link is one USB lead to two ports - one port carries data and power, and the second power only - meaning you can use the USB up front, plus run a second data USB in the center console and a third charging only port. I'm running the first one linked in my car simply because that arrived and was installed first

To install these it's fairly easy, and both come with mounting hardware you don't need. First you need to remove the 12v accessory port. Gain access to under the center console just by removing the gear surround - just grip it on the side through the leather and pull up:

I've also removed a side panel up the front (just pull on it) to help feed in the USB leads to the head unit

Wriggle your hand in through the gear surround and to under the center console. You'll feel the 12v accessory port, which looks like this (ignore the green circles, not my photo)

The red arrows are pointing at two tabs. squeeze these in as best you can and push the port out into the center console, might require a bit of wiggling. Once you have it out you can just unplug the cable and push it back in.

Now you can feed in your USB replacement, cables first. The thread on the console port end make it a quite tight fit and a little bit of a push will be needed to get it in, but this means you don't need to use any of the locking nuts behind it

Feed your USB leads up to the head unit via the side, and with the head unit out and the glovebox open you'll be able to get the leads and plug them into your head unit. Apart from removing the head unit, this whole thing should be tool-less for you. And it's all reversible.

Last edited by azonic; 03-15-2018 at 05:28 AM.
azonic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azonic For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-15-2018), Busybee (03-31-2018), CygnusX1 (09-21-2018), Mazikowski (03-15-2018), Nails (12-28-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
Mazikowski

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I love how clean and simple this is!
Mazikowski is offline   Reply With Quote