follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #57
Bimble Bamble

Drives: 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
13 FRS - Getting these installed on Monday with whiteline LCAs. Will be using for auto x and on the street. The streets where I live are glass so I dont mind stiff or lower than factory. Also dont want to change settings all the time. What height and damping settings should I use with?

1)Both TRD sways installed
2)RE-71 tires (245/40/17)
no other suspension mods

Finally, @CSG David recommended that I put the stock bar up front and leave the TRD in back. Your thoughts @CSG Mike ?????

Thanks!

Love you @CSG Mike thanks for making these!

Thanks to @Apex No.525300887039 for providing the autox settings you used, wondering how my sway setup would differ

Last edited by Bimble Bamble; 06-01-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: My 86th Post!
Bimble Bamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:20 AM   #58
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble Bamble View Post
13 FRS - Getting these installed on Monday with whiteline LCAs. Will be using for auto x and on the street. The streets where I live are glass so I dont mind stiff or lower than factory. Also dont want to change settings all the time. What height and damping settings should I use with?

no other suspension mods

Finally, @CSG David recommended that I put the stock bar up front and leave the TRD in back. Your thoughts @CSG Mike ?????

Thanks!

Thanks to @Apex No.525300887039 for providing the autox settings you used, wondering how my sway setup would differ
I'd agree with rear bar only.

Are you sure you want a performance setting for the street?

Try 3 or 4 clicks front and 4 or 5 clicks rear.

8 front 11 rear is the recommended street and casual spirited driving setting.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Bimble Bamble (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 03:59 AM   #59
Apex No.525300887039

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

no other suspension mods

Thanks!

Forgot to update, I have since installed SPL arms, changed rear camber to -2.5, and evened out the ride height.

During my first hot and dry event, I added one more click of rear rebound to address understeer I was encountering at the SX2's dry limit.

It was a fairly high speed AX course, which seemed to load the dampers so much that the damping felt noticeably softer than usual going over some train tracks after the event.

The damping felt normal again the next morning, so it may have been the dampers heating up from heavy use, or just my imagination after a long day of driving (:
Apex No.525300887039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #60
TurtReynolds

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Logs View Post
I just did some testing with a 20mm front bar and a 16mm rear bar with my Whiteline coilovers. The sways came out a day later and I went back to the stock 18mm/15mm bars. The balance was funky with the bigger sway bars. I too run square spring rates (5kg F/R) and I think you'll like the Flex-As way more on stock sways.
I get the feeling that will be 100% true. It's such a weird behavior too. It feels damn near required for autocross, especially with violent and rapid transitions through things like slaloms, but on track it's a total hindrance; especially on tighter courses with late apexes or decreasing radius turns; or high speed turns. It just drags the car outwards and punishes the front tires.

I finally got a setting on the dampers that seemed to mitigate it at 6F 7F, but the issue was still there. Couldn't really get any rotation and the car drives somewhat like a FWD platform with the bar in. I just can't use the full range of grip the tires provide me.

Looking forward to seeing how a corner balance and OEM sways will change the car in a few weeks when I get back from vacation overseas.
TurtReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:51 AM   #61
CSG Mike

Quote:
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I do plan to put the oem front bar on. We're those suggested settings with both TRD bars?

Never owned coilovers or such a stiff setyp so I'm not sure if I will want to keep those settings on the street but I'll give it a try.

I plan to practice my autox turns on this new setup on the street tho is why.
Either sway. It'll only really significantly affect balance.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #62
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I just finished installing my CSG FLA and got a fresh alignment last night. Any recommendations on what damper settings to start with for the track? I'll be adjusting throughout the day, but wanted a good starting point.

-3F / -2.4R
0° toe F / .10° toe R
6.2° caster

GT Radial SX2 245/40/17. All other suspension components are stock.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #63
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
I just finished installing my CSG FLA and got a fresh alignment last night. Any recommendations on what damper settings to start with for the track? I'll be adjusting throughout the day, but wanted a good starting point.

-3F / -2.4R
0° toe F / .10° toe R
6.2° caster

GT Radial SX2 245/40/17. All other suspension components are stock.
try starting at 5 clicks back from max damping, both front and rear. Add and subtract as needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (06-13-2018), mistople (06-12-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #64
ldam

Drives:
I just had min install, 1inch lower than stock height, have not had the car align yet. I have EDFC active pro so I can change the settings as I drive, on the softest it not that soft about the same as stock maybe stiffer. Bump feel the same, can’t tell the different with Bhs. I have Hotchkis front and rear sway bar both on 2nd hole don’t know if that make it more stiff than usual. I had to cut the first hole on Hotchkis font sway bar for clearance. It was fine with stock suspension. Is this how this coilover is or am I suppose to feel a significant difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ldam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #65
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
interesting, I'd never considered that the autox setup I use with a big front bar might not be good on track.
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #66
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldam View Post
I just had min install, 1inch lower than stock height, have not had the car align yet. I have EDFC active pro so I can change the settings as I drive, on the softest it not that soft about the same as stock maybe stiffer. Bump feel the same, can’t tell the different with Bhs. I have Hotchkis front and rear sway bar both on 2nd hole don’t know if that make it more stiff than usual. I had to cut the first hole on Hotchkis font sway bar for clearance. It was fine with stock suspension. Is this how this coilover is or am I suppose to feel a significant difference

Dampers control an oscillating motion. Less damping =/= softer ride; you're just making the car "bounce" up and down more.

Set the EDFC to emulate the recommended damper setting in your manual, and you'll have a much smoother ride.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #67
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldam View Post

The holes you cut off are the “soft setting” on probably the stiffest sway bar set out there. Sway bars essentially increase spring rate so they make be overworking the dampers at the lower damping settings.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-27-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #68
chimera118

Drives: DGM BRZ Prem AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@CSGMike any idea when the next batch will be shipping?
chimera118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #69
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimera118 View Post
@CSGMike any idea when the next batch will be shipping?
Tein pushed the ETA back to late July.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
chimera118 (07-06-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #70
TurtReynolds

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Got to play a bit at Grid Life time attack with the dampers a bit (I stress "a bit", as Time Attack does not give you a lot of time to fiddle and mess with settings and feel them out if you're inexperienced; it's ready and go or nothing).

Started with 4F/6R to see how the car would react because I had never taken it that stiff before. Almost spun out because the track temps were so high the tires just greased right away and I may have dropped a tire off the track slightly. Recovered in a messy fashion though and I think this was thanks to the coils. The front did not like being this stiff, perhaps?

Dialed back to 5F/7R and went slower. Heat exhaustion was setting in hard by this time too. Took two seconds out of my time as a result. I just didn't have it in me and I didn't get a clean lap on this session. It happens.

Third session took us to full course and boy was I feeling it! Pounding headache, but dialed the dampers to 5F and 8R (A last minute pit decision on my part). They seemed to like this setting quite a bit more and I had a lot more control over the car. I got exactly ONE clean lap during this session and it was still 6 seconds off my best when the car was stock on 225/45 RE71R. :\

Driver and track conditions matter; I guess. Still had fun and still got to experience a pretty cool event. Video of my first session is below for Autobahn North course, which had me posted a 1:21:9xx-something. Full course video is encoding and upload and will follow.

TurtReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote