follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
eMCee

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Being shot at (sort of)

Hi guys,.

Last weekend some individual, with a lot of free time, decided to shot with a bb gun a few cars round my street. 2-3 days earlier i notice unusually a lot of borken glass on the srteet (where was my spider sense :P) Unfortunately mine got one hit at the body.
I've noticed that when was going to the car on a monday morning :/
Judging by the angle, parked behind a capmer van, and lack of nearby buildings I assumed the trigger-happy man aimed at the window which would be ok for me (they are insured and i got a scratch from the auto wash).
Insurance did not covered that since it was a teilkasko (german option when choosing insurance, covering all the rest like all glass, hail, animal damage, fire, avalanche, volcano, etc.)

This week I will be asking few Toyota dealers around here how much i will be back in $. Place Your bets
I will let You know how it went with the repairs and will post a few shots "after".

eMCee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eMCee For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Welcome to the forum .....

Looks like a job for a PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) person plus some touch up paint.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Welcome to the forum .....

Looks like a job for a PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) person plus some touch up paint.

humfrz
damage requiring paint repair doesn't seem like a paintless dent repair
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
wparsons (12-20-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Paint behind it like hydraulic fluid is streaking out of it.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's gonna need sanding, bondo filler and a spot repaint.

I'd just put a sticker over it until you can get it to a body shop to fix.

radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
by the sparkles, it looks like you have the whiteout paint? A good shop can paint match, be sure to look at it from all angles and in different lighting conditions before you are satisfied, because that'll be noticeable if not done right.
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #7
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I don't know if it helps you any to find the jerk who did it any but, that was a pellet gun and not a bb gun. Also if it was a kid which is the likely scenario, they will most likely not think enough to not shoot in the same place twice. I'd watch the area and look for kids that bored look and of the age for such shenanigans. Maybe you can get lucky and post a few fliers up around the neighborhood saying their is camera/witness that got a good nut not great description of the culprit. Say you just want the damage taken care of and the kid's parents see it and make him confess out of doing the right thing or fear their kid will get in more trouble. I know pretty much all the kids within 10-15 houses both ways on my street and I know I'd have it narrowed down real quick. If somebody is walking around with a gun, real or fake and out in the open, they most likely aren't going far from their own yard so look at the direction it came from (diagonal on right rear of car and not too far away judging by the amount of lead left by the damage). They weren't that close though or they would have hit the window easier.

Always ask around no matter how dire it seems: I was doing an estimate in my van and going through a very nice neighborhood when my window was suddenly shot out. I immediately stopped and there was nobody around....ghost town. I pulled into the house I was going to and told them what happened. He immediately knew who it was. He said he would talk to the kids father and he did. The kids parents called me back shortly after to the house to see what he did and they profusely apologized and said they would pay for the window.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:49 AM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
damage requiring paint repair doesn't seem like a paintless dent repair
Welp, the PDR just flattens out the dent ....... THEN ya gotta paint it .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I don't know if it helps you any to find the jerk who did it any but, that was a pellet gun and not a bb gun. Also if it was a kid which is the likely scenario, they will most likely not think enough to not shoot in the same place twice. I'd watch the area and look for kids that bored look and of the age for such shenanigans. Maybe you can get lucky and post a few fliers up around the neighborhood saying their is camera/witness that got a good nut not great description of the culprit. Say you just want the damage taken care of and the kid's parents see it and make him confess out of doing the right thing or fear their kid will get in more trouble. I know pretty much all the kids within 10-15 houses both ways on my street and I know I'd have it narrowed down real quick. If somebody is walking around with a gun, real or fake and out in the open, they most likely aren't going far from their own yard so look at the direction it came from (diagonal on right rear of car and not too far away judging by the amount of lead left by the damage). They weren't that close though or they would have hit the window easier.

Always ask around no matter how dire it seems: I was doing an estimate in my van and going through a very nice neighborhood when my window was suddenly shot out. I immediately stopped and there was nobody around....ghost town. I pulled into the house I was going to and told them what happened. He immediately knew who it was. He said he would talk to the kids father and he did. The kids parents called me back shortly after to the house to see what he did and they profusely apologized and said they would pay for the window.

No wish to stereotype but the dude is in Poland. He is lucky it was a pellet gun!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
get a real gun and shoot everything in the neighborhood

FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
8RZ (12-20-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
get a real gun and shoot everything in the neighborhood
Bad idea!
The reaction would be more severe I am sure.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #12
eMCee

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys again,

Many thanks for your free (and some of them quite funny) opinoins.
I read all of them and got into contemplation what should i do.
decision was made to take it out to authorized toyota dealer for pricing quote.
FYI both in poland and germany cost of the repair was around 500eur (~518usd).

I said screw it, and bet for the german handwerk und profi arbeit
I've scheduled the service approx one month ago, and last week went for it.
I left the car on tuesday and even got a service car (Vitz) as a short time replacement.
Time of the repair was estimated to around 3days.
Yestarday i got a call that car is ready for pick-up.
Good news are coming in this post.

I've picked up the car in a great sunny weather, and a bit sceptic that most probably i will have to wrapi after that paint correction.
But it came no. Guys there did a tremendous job, and nothing is visible.
Few people and few lightning condition checki it later, no one could see where was it ^_^
Try to spot anything for yourself:

Happy me.
P.S. inside was smelling like a pain booth and i'm pretty sure the painters was listening to my mp3, since when i turn the ACC mode radio was crazy loud
eMCee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eMCee For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-20-2016), humfrz (12-18-2016), Timmy_Jones (12-19-2016), Ultramaroon (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #13
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
It looks perfect. Well done.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #14
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post

White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White64Goat For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-18-2016)