follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2016, 11:32 PM   #1
tylerdone86

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
TRD exhaust resonator delete

I was checking out some cheap exhaust mods and I came across a resonator delete video on YouTube of the TRD cat-back exhaust which is what I have(NOT the quad tips version found on the special TRD edition). I kinda like the more raspy sound rather than the bassy sound the resonated TRD exhaust gives you. Does anyone have a TRD exhaust setup with a resonator delete? Or perhaps has any ideas on if removing the resonator would affect the performance or create a lot of exhaust drone.

Btw, the resonator is the little cylinder after the catalytic converter but behind the muffler.

Here is the video, tell me what u guys think:

tylerdone86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:56 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdone86 View Post
I was checking out some cheap exhaust mods and I came across a resonator delete video on YouTube of the TRD cat-back exhaust which is what I have(NOT the quad tips version found on the special TRD edition). I kinda like the more raspy sound rather than the bassy sound the resonated TRD exhaust gives you. Does anyone have a TRD exhaust setup with a resonator delete? Or perhaps has any ideas on if removing the resonator would affect the performance or create a lot of exhaust drone.

Btw, the resonator is the little cylinder after the catalytic converter but behind the muffler.

Here is the video, tell me what u guys think:

How about in front of ... or before the muffler ..........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Why would somebody take one of the most expensive exhausts on the market and chop it up for rasp? Take it off, sell it and buy two or 3 cheap ass raspy ones and still have beer money leftover.
everythingsablur (09-01-2016), MasonL1997 (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
tylerdone86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Why would somebody take one of the most expensive exhausts on the market and chop it up for rasp? Take it off, sell it and buy two or 3 cheap ass raspy ones and still have beer money leftover.
True maybe I should get a decatted front pipe or UEL headers instead
The Following User Says Thank You to tylerdone86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Tcoat

Quote:
True maybe I should get a decatted front pipe or UEL headers instead
That would work as well! Keep a nicer tone but still pull some rasp out at revs.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
tylerdone86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That would work as well! Keep a nicer tone but still pull some rasp out at revs.
Ok so here is what I might do, my friend has a WRX and he recently got a muffler delete, and it sounds AMAZING. The 2016 wrx and the FRS has the same engine core and they sound similar enough, so what I'm thinking of doing is getting a custom muffler delete exhaust. I can go to a muffler shop and get a custom bolt on Y pipe from my mid pipe to the back of my car. If I don't like it, I can always just bolt on back the TRD muffler. Removing the muffler is simple, you just have to unbolt it from the mid pipe, no cutting and welding is required. Tell me what you think of the idea. I've checked out vids on YouTube and tbh it actually sounds pretty good.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Ok so here is what I might do, my friend has a WRX and he recently got a muffler delete, and it sounds AMAZING. The 2016 wrx and the FRS has the same engine core and they sound similar enough, so what I'm thinking of doing is getting a custom muffler delete exhaust. I can go to a muffler shop and get a custom bolt on Y pipe from my mid pipe to the back of my car. If I don't like it, I can always just bolt on back the TRD muffler. Removing the muffler is simple, you just have to unbolt it from the mid pipe, no cutting and welding is required. Tell me what you think of the idea. I've checked out vids on YouTube and tbh it actually sounds pretty good.
Not a sound that is to my taste and loud as fuck but if you like the sound go for it. Like you said it is reasonably cheap and completely reversible. Just be prepared for a hassle from your neighbours.
tylerdone86 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #8
tofurun

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
the resonator is going to try and prevent the drone... i had a straight pipe replace a resonator in my car in highschool. It makes it a touch louder but i dont think its worth it at all. just saved the 100-140$ you would be paying a welding shop and save up for a catless header. Then u have kept the resonator and are running catless. alot more classy IMO