follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #113
LostSalad

Drives: Toyota 86 - Charcoal Grey
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
@FT_86_SM_GP - nice videos, and great lap times - I'm impressed.
Your car also sounds great, both on your video and from the pit wall.
Agreed. It's always harder to tell from a video compared to your bum, but your driving looks smooth. Get those brakes and give the semis hell
LostSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #114
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
@LostSalad - Well done today!! you can be proud of 1m22 - that's cool.

The comments I made above apply to you too. Also sorry I couldn't take you for a spin either, but it wouldn't have been exciting anyway...

Regarding the pass by the Z4M - in the Zwartkops context, Schultz would have klapped his ears that his nuts were ringing... but in a Midvaal context it would be fine.

It was probably Jacques Stiglet because he was mentoring that guy, and you need to remember that he has a panoramic view of you through his windsceen, 15 years of much closer and tighter racing experience than that little manuevre, and you have poor visiblilty in your mirrors of him doing something that looked radical to you. Of course you must grow within Zwartkop's rules, but it does go far beyond that...

How's this for up close and personal racing - LOL. Taken off my dashcam at Midvaal.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fish Eagle; 08-16-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Fish Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #115
Alang

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0 Std.
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSalad;2359059 [MENTION=77169
FT_86_SM_GP[/MENTION], nice to meet you man, and thanks for coming out despite your initial reservations . @Fish Eagle, it was good seeing you all the way up here on our side of the world, do come again.

I'm terrible at recording, and always get caught at the start of a session without having set up my camera. So unfortunately I didn't get my fastest lap (~1.22) on camera

A big shoutout to the driver's ed organised by Zwartkops. After my passenger buddy went home, I asked for some help, and following the example and guidance of Mr Etienne (my memory is terrible - it had to be Etienne lol), I managed to shave my time down by about 2.5 seconds! I reviewed some of my own video footage over lunchtime and found that I was steadily improving (from high 20's down to about 1:24). The fastest lap that I did with Etienne was a 1:22 and I slacked off on my last lap before the finish line because I saw the checkered flag *sigh*.

Tires are dead. Brakes are dead. I drove at the limit of my capability today.

Here are a couple of videos that I assembled throughout the day. The 1:22 lap is not mine - that was Etienne. And seeing as we were discussing passing etiquette, what do you make of that Z4's attempt @Fish Eagle / @Alang?

Oh, and cheers to @FT_86_SM_GP for the heads up about the tire special at Errol's Tires. I've already ordered some and can't wait till they get delivered
Looks like you and @FT_86_SM_GP had a good day out, fantastic driving from both of you! Also nice to see lots of footage, well done guys!
Sorry I missed out, will be there in two weeks time though, just have to be patient
The Z4 was a bit of a chop to cut through especially in rookie class. It's asking for trouble when you don't know what the guys in front are going to do. Like @Fish Eagle said, that should have been picked up. Turn 3 is a great overtaking spot though, because it's not really a turn so it's the only place at supertraxx where you can "legally" play race driver.
FT_86_SM_GP (08-17-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #116
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alang View Post
Turn 3 is a great overtaking spot though, because it's not really a turn so it's the only place at supertraxx where you can "legally" play race driver.
Yep, they view it as a straight
Old 08-17-2015, 03:14 AM   #117
ShaunWRX

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP View Post
This is a clear(no traffic) lap in the second session, but lacked confidence on turn 1 and ended on sticking to the left (not on the driving line)

Also braking early ...damn cannot wait to get some powerbake goodies

1m22s
Car sounds wicked man!
FT_86_SM_GP (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 04:22 AM   #118
Dammod

Drives: .
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Well done to everyone that went out and to @FT_86_SM_GP for what in my opinion looks like GREAT driving for a "novice"...and you car pull like a BEAST! Someone I know who was there asked me if your car was supercharged
FT_86_SM_GP (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 05:21 AM   #119
FT_86_SM_GP

Drives: Lawn moweR
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammod View Post
Well done to everyone that went out and to @FT_86_SM_GP for what in my opinion looks like GREAT driving for a "novice"...and you car pull like a BEAST! Someone I know who was there asked me if your car was supercharged
Lol thanks, really enjoying the cars performance , flat foot shifting and exhaust pops gives me smiles for days!

Not as fast on the top at the FI guys,

Here's a video of me having fun with a 335i

(note this is the 'novice' group so ...don't think I would have passed, if an intermediate driver was in the 335i seat)

[ame]http://youtu.be/yquO-HrWOrI[/ame]

Last edited by FT_86_SM_GP; 08-17-2015 at 05:36 AM.
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:22 AM   #120
CWP68

Drives: Toyota 86 Supercharged
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
This was the ending of session 2, so managed to pass traffic as they were on their cool down lap
1m21s
1.21 in a N/A car is a great time, well done!
CWP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #121
CWP68

Quote:

Also braking early ...damn cannot wait to get some powerbake goodies

1m22s
Not necessarily a bad thing. You are carrying the speed through the corners really well, as the times show.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #122
CWP68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
You did very well. Now you just need to slowly hone your skills. You're at the stage now that you've had some good quick success, but be careful especially at the Z that your confidence and euphoria doesn't get ahead of your skills growth because then you're getting into the risk area. For sure, you are going plenty fast enough to be exposed to risk.
I'm in that zone myself at the minute. Had an abrupt reminder in my last session yesterday. Overtook somebody by the start line and found myself on an inside line into Turn 1 but going way too fast. Horrible moment of understeer and just about kept it off the gravel.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #123
CWP68

Quote:
seeing FishEagle and @CWP68 take on a v8 m3 duo was epic!
Thanks, it was fun! Also spent a lot of time up the tailpipe of an RS3 and a Scooby. I think we did OK flying the flag!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up with you @FT_86_SM_GP or @LostSalad will try and be a bit more sociable next time
The Following User Says Thank You to CWP68 For This Useful Post:
FT_86_SM_GP (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #124
FT_86_SM_GP

Drives: Lawn moweR
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
I managed to use the GoPro app (limited functionality) to put together some highlights on my sessions,

I was a little bored...so I added Gangster HipHop music in the background lol (Caution)

Hope this video illustrates how fun Track days are and encourage more people to come out to SuperTrax events

[ame]http://youtu.be/iuGquRKTPLY[/ame]
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FT_86_SM_GP For This Useful Post:
Alang (08-17-2015), Dammod (08-18-2015), Fish Eagle (08-18-2015), ShaunWRX (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 02:14 AM   #125
Die$eL

Drives: Toyota MR2 Spyder Turbo
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Haahahaa. Awesome vid

I like your g-force meter hanging from the rear view mirror
Old 08-18-2015, 02:17 AM   #126
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Garage
Very nice. You're driving smoothly, your lines are good and your overtaking is confident and safe. Well done.

For what it's worth, here's a few observations:

- I think you're sitting a bit far away from the wheel for best control. I often see your hands shuffling on the wheel especially in the tighter right-handers which shouldn't be necessary. If you have a bad oversteer moment that needs strong correction (eg exiting turn 2) you'll be at a disadvantage if you've shuffled your left hand. I'd be interested to hear @Alang comment on this.

- At 0m50 you passed the white BMW up the inside of T7. Sure, he let you through, and it certainly wasn't a dangerous move, but if Schultz had seen that he'd have asked you to please explain in his office. However, I often chat to the marshal up at Tabletop, and it's usually the same guy and he's quite laid back. He'll only report you if you do something really stupid and dangerous, so we can get away with a lot on the Tabletop if he's there.

- At 1m12 that white Merc did exactly what I've been advising you guys to never do - it's a good example of terrible driving. He went off the racing line to let you through, and he did that move in T9 (heroes' corner) which IMO is the riskiest place on the track for such a dumb move. Pulling to the inside like that is inviting a hook spin into the wall (watch Rikus's crash video from 25/05/14 - that's what he did trying to move out of the way of Johan's Lotus). But that's the Merc's stupidity. My advice for you in such a situation is be very alert and watch him like a hawk - his stupidity could take you both out... Be ready to take avoiding action and if necessary take to the grass.

- At 1m57, nice to see you entering T4 confidently from the wrong side of the track after passing a car. Well done. Also good to see that you didn't try to pull left before the corner. So many people do that, and it's poor technique. It's a good skill to practice and you'll find that you can enter a corner from the wrong side at very close to normal racing speed. I'll sometime do a lap and enter all the corners wrong-footed like that just for practice.

I think I can safely guess that the bug has now bitten - Enjoy, and I'll see you in rehab!!