follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pet Peeve: Poorly Designed Side Mirrors

I've noticed that newer cars are being designed with side mirrors that cannot be adjusted properly because they do not rotate to the right angle. Why is this? Because 99% of Americans don't know how to adjust their mirrors properly.

I don't have any blind spots. I can see entirely around any car I drive without a shoulder check because my mirrors capture everything. Blind spots are the result of mirrors being too narrow.

The general public sets their mirrors to where they can see their own car in their side mirror, giving them the exact same view of the rear view mirror.

(I actually don't entirely agree with this - the "too wide" would still be fine because it would give you the view of everything around you. The small 2-3 foot gap isn't even enough to miss a bike, especially if you lean your head as you look since it gives you a "sweep" )

On my mom's Yaris I was annoyed that when I tried adjusting the mirrors out further the physically would not move any further. Manufacturers in an attempt to make cars look more "sleek" are having mirrors folded inwards more, but this is not correct.

See the below links if your mirrors are not set up right.

This is how I set up mine (lean head until it touches window)
http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...ors/index.html

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/ (shows how most people have their mirror redundantly set up)

An interesting advantage is that by looking forward but glancing at the side mirror, I can lean to the right/left to make a sweeping view of everything from the mirrors view up to the side of my car.

I have never cut off anyone accidentally. I will periodically do shoulder checks but it only confirms what my mirrors told me.

I hope the FT-86/FR-S will have side mirrors that can be adjusted properly. Or I'll be pissed. Probably may not buy the car if it's not correct (serious). My visibility is pretty important to me, being a motorcycle rider as well.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
ryun84

Drives: 04 PSM WRX Wagon
Hmmm. Yes, I agree. I set up my mirrors so that the edges of my rear-view is where the side mirrors begin. It's funny how EVERYONE'S car I've driven sets up their side mirrors so that they can see the side of their car. That's probably why so many people nearly crash when changing lanes on the freeway. For them, they HAVE to turn to check blind spots and if they get lazy... And that's a pretty dangerous design flaw if they angle the side mirrors in the way you describe. Manufacturers should keep the mirrors at close to 90 degrees to the car's body. Then if you want aerodynamics, add some plastic up front at sharp angles to decrease wind-resistance.

Edit: To make this more on-topic, let's discuss the size/bulk/angles of the side mirrors on the camouflaged test car.
ryun84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Should it be moved to off topic. It has nothing to do with the car. I mean, this topic is too general.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryun84 View Post
Hmmm. Yes, I agree. I set up my mirrors so that the edges of my rear-view is where the side mirrors begin. It's funny how EVERYONE'S car I've driven sets up their side mirrors so that they can see the side of their car. That's probably why so many people nearly crash when changing lanes on the freeway. For them, they HAVE to turn to check blind spots and if they get lazy... And that's a pretty dangerous design flaw if they angle the side mirrors in the way you describe. Manufacturers should keep the mirrors at close to 90 degrees to the car's body. Then if you want aerodynamics, add some plastic up front at sharp angles to decrease wind-resistance.

Edit: To make this more on-topic, let's discuss the size/bulk/angles of the side mirrors on the camouflaged test car.
I agree. If you watch how other people drive, you may notice most people are terrified to change lanes, or they avoid it a lot. I'm sure this is why. Who wouldn't be scared to do something when they can't see around them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Should it be moved to off topic. It has nothing to do with the car. I mean, this topic is too general.
Sort of. I was trying to target it towards the development of this car.

I also noticed from the latest spy photo that the mirrors seem folded in too far.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
Dark
Elite Padawan

Ahh. I think we can adjust the mirror even the base is a bit off.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:07 AM   #6
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Well even on my Celica my mirror itself sticks out funny compared to the housing. If I try to tilt the mirror a bit further I hit the limit...
Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 AM   #7
Dark
Elite Padawan

It happens to my IS too, but somehow, I have no problem with visibility or blind spot.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Eh, its not a big issue unless you're driving a vert.

I drive my brothers FC Vert and freekin' hate it because of the ginormous blind spot with the top up. One of the very reasons I can't stand ragtops.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
Dark
Elite Padawan

I have problem driving my friend S2000 when it tops up too. It's damn annoying.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #10
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Hah. Convertibles definitely have more visibility with the tops down...
Old 05-19-2011, 02:48 AM   #11
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think the visibility will be too bad; the panel next to the side windows looks big enough for a soldier check and the back window appears to be sufficient as well. I know almost every Nissan has bad blind spots, but drivers get used to it very quickly with a little adjustment. I personally have my side mirrors set up so I can barely see the paint of my car, but mostly the parallel lanes on either side.
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:53 AM   #12
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yup.. I have a few nasty blind spots on my car even with my mirrors adjusted correctly. I have to bend my whole body to check over the shoulder... And to reverse.. yea. Foot always on clutch and always on breaks. Slowwwwwwwww backin' out.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 AM   #13
xantonin
Mr. Detail

I'm glad most of you have your mirrors set up right.

I've been trying to make more people aware.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:04 AM   #14
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Wait I thought you're supposed to look over your shoulder anyways? I do...I've mastered being able to turn really fast without having sunglasses fly off if I'm wearing them, lol.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote