follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
JermMX5

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fuel Gauge Nightmare

So this story starts out with my new 2017 86 starting to act up whenever I would go to the pump. The first time it happened I filled up with about 10 gallons, and then when I got back in the car it read 3/4 tank, and my ODB read 9.2 gallons. That was odd I thought, and did some reading and saw that it would fix itself next time...

So then after multiple more fill ups and resetting the ECU, I found that this was in fact not going away on its own so I brought it to Toyota.

So I go in for the first appointment and the shop foreman is the only one who can work on the car apparently, so he spends the entire day with it, and then tells me the sender plug was loose and that he fixed it by snugging it down, instantly knew that was B.S. but if it was reading full now then that would be fine.

Nope it read 11.2 instead of the 12.5 and he said, well it must be a separate issue, I called him out on how it would have thrown a code if the sender was unplugged and he convinced me to drive it empty and fill it up again to verify.

Ofcourse it was still broken, so I brought it back in, this time with about 4 gallons at their request so that he could pull the pumps out if need be. He noted that he took both senders out, set the floats to max, and that it sent the 12.5 value to the car. Okay awesome so the senders are good, so must be another problem. Nope he claims its not broken and that it's all set.

I go to pick the car up, and open the door and BAM, the smell of gasoline was horrible. I go in and grab my service advisor and ask him if he would be able to drive this home. He says no way and that recon will fix the issue overnight. Apparently he spilt some gas on top of the tank but then never aired out the car.

So I pick it up this morning and they tell me it smells great and that the gauge is all set. It did smell great I'll give them that. But I went across the street to fill up with 93, and I put in over 10 gallons and it clicked off and guess what, still broken.

So I go back and ask to talk with the service manager who is aware of the situation and he thinks that there's no way the sensors are bad at that it must be the evap system making the fuel hose shut off early. I explain to him the math and how that's not possible but he insists on filling it up with their pump (even though my tank is full).

So he starts filling it up normally and it clicks off at .4 gallons, then again at .5. But he knows it must be an evap problem so he holds it reaalllyyy slowly so it will keep going and guess what happened...

Gas spills all over the side of my car and onto the tire and he says they'll clean it right up, and fix the obvious fuel gauge issue today no matter what.

So just thought I would vent and explain what has happened so far in case anyone else has this issue!
Exrald (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Shitty situation to be in, I would hate to be in your position, but I hope they can get it fixed, but it would seem they either do not know how to work on the car, or do not want to work on the car (since its all warrantied, they probably are not making much money, if anything). Keep at it until you get it fixed, you should be able to enjoy your new car, not suffer because of it.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
JermMX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Shitty situation to be in, I would hate to be in your position, but I hope they can get it fixed, but it would seem they either do not know how to work on the car, or do not want to work on the car (since its all warrantied, they probably are not making much money, if anything). Keep at it until you get it fixed, you should be able to enjoy your new car, not suffer because of it.
Ya exactly, and I think it's more they don't know how to work on it, apparently they had techs "down from toyota" yesterday. I think he meant corporate techs? Don't know, but the service manager was super nice and gave me the pick of what rental I wanted, it's a stupid corolla, but at least it reads it's own fuel level
Old 08-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
cburz

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am having the exact same issue with my 2015 BRZ, took it to the dealer under warranty.

They held it for a day and said removing the battery fixed it. Picked it up, filled it with gas, and took it right back. Took them two more days to tell me it was a loose connection and they fixed it. Again it still wasn't working. Tried to get another service appointment and they told me I had to wait a week because of problems in their service department.

So I took it to another dealer and told them the whole story. They have had it for almost a week now. Hopefully this is resolved soon, I don't understand why this issue is so hard to fix.
cburz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
JermMX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburz View Post
I am having the exact same issue with my 2015 BRZ, took it to the dealer under warranty.

They held it for a day and said removing the battery fixed it. Picked it up, filled it with gas, and took it right back. Took them two more days to tell me it was a loose connection and they fixed it. Again it still wasn't working. Tried to get another service appointment and they told me I had to wait a week because of problems in their service department.

So I took it to another dealer and told them the whole story. They have had it for almost a week now. Hopefully this is resolved soon, I don't understand why this issue is so hard to fix.
Because they don't want to fork over the money to replace the pump. The tech moved the floats manually to the top and the bottom to verify it was then sending the right resistance to the computer. So that tells me that all the electronics are working, and that there is something wrong with the floats.

They just called me to tell me they thought it might be my after market radio, so I went down, asked for a 10mm, went out back removed it in about 45 seconds, turned the key and said, oh hey look, it's almost like they're two completely different systems.

I told them what they needed to do and they just said they'd work on it. They need to measure the resistance of the reading on both pumps with them still in the tank to see which sender isn't thinking it's full and then just replace the damn thing.
Icecreamtruk (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
angadam

Drives: 14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a similar issue with my 2014. It took 3 trips to the dealer and me running it out of gas a 1/4 tank for them to admit there was a problem. First I was told not to have the key in the vehicle, then to not have the key with me when I fill it.
angadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermMX5 View Post
Gas spills all over the side of my car and onto the tire
If the evap system wasn't fucked before, it is now
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (08-02-2017), Guff (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
JermMX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
I just did some reading and now I'm terrified. Would this have destroyed the charcoal filter? Should I ask them to replace it? I know they'll say no, so who can I get involved in this? Is there a corporate Toyota number I can open up a case with now?

This is horrible and now I'm terrified.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I just did some reading and now I'm terrified. Would this have destroyed the charcoal filter? Should I ask them to replace it? I know they'll say no, so who can I get involved in this? Is there a corporate Toyota number I can open up a case with now?

This is horrible and now I'm terrified.
Don't panic. Guy loves to jump to the worst possible scenario and skip all the simple things it could be. If you read through enough you will see there are several basic things it could be and they are by far the more common issues. Because one or two people had big issues doesn't bean you will as well. They will get you sorted out.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
JermMX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Don't panic. Guy loves to jump to the worst possible scenario and skip all the simple things it could be. If you read through enough you will see there are several basic things it could be and they are by far the more common issues. Because one or two people had big issues doesn't bean you will as well. They will get you sorted out.
Lol thanks Tcoat, I'm really hoping they do, they don't really seem to know too much about the car though based on them saying my aftermarket radio was the issue...
Tcoat (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Lol thanks Tcoat, I'm really hoping they do, they don't really seem to know too much about the car though based on them saying my aftermarket radio was the issue...
Ya that is concerning but if they get real stuck they will call in a corporate tech. It could be something big but that is rare enough to that one t is a bit early in the process to be panicking. The
Old 08-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Yeah this is really bad for the evap system/charcoal canister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
Sideways
BRZZZZZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Whiteout
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Yeah this is really bad for the evap system/charcoal canister.
Doing it once or twice shouldn't do much harm. Its bad when you do it everytime you fill gas.

Everytime I see someone trying to get that extra drop into this tank...clicking three four time, I get this mad urge to stop them
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sideways For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (08-02-2017), Tcoat (08-02-2017), tCsonfrs (08-04-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #14
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I do tend to go straight for the worst possible scenario. Mostly because it can happen. Hopefully yours wil be OK
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-02-2017)