follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southeast

Southeast AR, AL, GA, FL, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #435
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I didn't pay that much Jordan, and I plan on doing the e85 tune, and plan on having the end user software in about two months. Also got it custom tune for my intake and will get it retune again for free when my exhaust gets here along with autoblip and launch control. But yeah for the initial tune I was not a happy guy getting ~10 hp but love that the car doesnt fall on its face cause the tq curve is no longer noticeable.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #436
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Got the shifter bushing coming to, wonder if it will make as big a difference as it did in the Evo?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #437
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
ECUtek makes it pretty clear, unless you pay the $3,500 dealer license fee, you won't be looking at/modifying your tune. The cable will allow you only to log and flash a supplied tune.

Another thing to consider with this being your dd, e85 tune will net you 35whp, BUT at the cost of significant mpg loss. Johns test car on the tune went from 28mpg to 18mpg average. That is definitely not worth the power gain.

And yes, the results for the Perrin bushing have been very positive. Most people say it gives the shifter a more notchy/aggressive feel and reduced their mis-shifts in conjunction with a weighted knob (which I believe you already have).
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #438
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post
ECUtek makes it pretty clear, unless you pay the $3,500 dealer license fee, you won't be looking at/modifying your tune. The cable will allow you only to log and flash a supplied tune.

Another thing to consider with this being your dd, e85 tune will net you 35whp, BUT at the cost of significant mpg loss. Johns test car on the tune went from 28mpg to 18mpg average. That is definitely not worth the power gain.
Clearly you don't know what's going on or what the future plans are....

Anyways not worth the power gain? You on drugs ? Of course it is. Your just saying stuff to say it. Pickup 30+whp and try going back to pumpgas - ha good luck - you'll hate life

I was also beating the living shit out of the car. It was a tank of WOT. So 17-18mpg really isn't bad

John
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #439
NotSoJDM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Clearly you don't know what's going on or what the future plans are....

Anyways not worth the power gain? You on drugs ? Of course it is. Your just saying stuff to say it. Pickup 30+whp and try going back to pumpgas - ha good luck - you'll hate life

I was also beating the living shit out of the car. It was a tank of WOT. So 17-18mpg really isn't bad

John
Then by all means please enlighten me on these future plans. There's no need get all defensive over something by making generalized statements about my lack of "in the know info" without providing any basis for it. If a mail order flash is already $850, you can't expect me to believe there is going to be end user software that is affordable. An AEM series 2 is right around the corner already at this price point.

And yes, 10mpg loss for 30whp is not worth it to me. Even at 30whp gain, you are still sub 200whp with the fuel economy of another car making 300whp+. Craig's plan for this car was to be a DD with his evo being a track car which is why fuel economy is important in this discussion. This is all without even considering the lack of e85 stations in NC. So on top of the mpg hit, you now have to plan every trip you make in your DD to make sure you don't run out of gas without an e85 station in site? Doesn't make much sense to me.

John, I am glad you are doing what you are for this community, don't get me wrong. But, you're going to have people (like myself) who will have different opinions on your products and what they have to offer us because every end user is different. Keeping that in mind, it would be beneficial to know the situation at hand before coming in and making personal attacks on people when they make suggestions to others that don't favor your product.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #440
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
Then by all means please enlighten me on these future plans. There's no need get all defensive over something by making generalized statements about my lack of "in the know info" without providing any basis for it. If a mail order flash is already $850, you can't expect me to believe there is going to be end user software that is affordable. An AEM series 2 is right around the corner already at this price point.

And yes, 10mpg loss for 30whp is not worth it to me. Even at 30whp gain, you are still sub 200whp with the fuel economy of another car making 300whp+. Craig's plan for this car was to be a DD with his evo being a track car which is why fuel economy is important in this discussion. This is all without even considering the lack of e85 stations in NC. So on top of the mpg hit, you now have to plan every trip you make in your DD to make sure you don't run out of gas without an e85 station in site? Doesn't make much sense to me.

John, I am glad you are doing what you are for this community, don't get me wrong. But, you're going to have people (like myself) who will have different opinions on your products and what they have to offer us because every end user is different. Keeping that in mind, it would be beneficial to know the situation at hand before coming in and making personal attacks on people when they make suggestions to others that don't favor your product.
Not attacking anyone.

It easy for me to say look at one of my thread but unless you follow it everyday you wouldnt know exactly what's going on.

But at the same time if your familiar with the ecutek dealer pricing you should also know end-user software is in the pipeline.

Anyways my STG1 pumpgas tune picks up 5-10mpg depending on how you drive the car. In my tests I got 25-28mpg on pumpgas - very very aggressive driving , basically WOT everywhere. Same test on e85 netted me 17-18MPG. The difference between the two during aggressive driving is about 10MPG. Like i said before my tune picks up 5-10mpg over stock so if you this is your DD your most likely not going to drive like a maniac - Gas milage will be about what it is now stock but with 30whp more.

AEM Series 2 isn't going to be $850.. Who would want that on their daily anyways? I would only use that on a full blown Racecar - that's only if I had to

John
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #441
NotSoJDM

Garage
Quote:
Not attacking anyone.

It easy for me to say look at one of my thread but unless you follow it everyday you wouldnt know exactly what's going on.

But at the same time if your familiar with the ecutek dealer pricing you should also know end-user software is in the pipeline.

Anyways my STG1 pumpgas tune picks up 5-10mpg depending on how you drive the car. In my tests I got 25-28mpg on pumpgas - very very aggressive driving , basically WOT everywhere. Same test on e85 netted me 17-18MPG. The difference between the two during aggressive driving is about 10MPG. Like i said before my tune picks up 5-10mpg over stock so if you this is your DD your most likely not going to drive like a maniac - Gas milage will be about what it is now stock but with 30whp more.

John
I do follow your threads daily, although I'm sure I do miss some posts. I'm very eager to see what you have in store for this platform as you continue to develop your tunes. Yes I have read in your threads about end user software, but I have seen nothing on it aside from its in the works. As I said, I'm more concerned with price point on it based on how expensive current tuning solutions are. Do you have any input there that you can publicly share?

I understand what you are saying about the mpg with the tune, but I'd like to wait until you have some more conclusive mpg numbers from real world users before I make judgement.

That would be awesome to see mpg unaffected over stock going to e85, so hopefully those are the results you do find. Unfortunately for those in my area e85 is still not readily available and station growth is projected to decrease this year.

Also, I sent you a PM a while back about continuing education for tuning essentially, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a couple minutes to read/reply. I'd imagine you'd be a good resource for the info im looking for.

Edit saw the AEM thing you added. My point was that I can buy one for 1200 (350 over your flash) and then my only limit is my own ability in regards to tuning. Im not saying its practical in this instance purely just using it as cost comparison between two extremes of no tune control to full tune control.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #442
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
I do follow your threads daily, although I'm sure I do miss some posts. I'm very eager to see what you have in store for this platform as you continue to develop your tunes. Yes I have read in your threads about end user software, but I have seen nothing on it aside from its in the works. As I said, I'm more concerned with price point on it based on how expensive current tuning solutions are. Do you have any input there that you can publicly share?

I understand what you are saying about the mpg with the tune, but I'd like to wait until you have some more conclusive mpg numbers from real world users before I make judgement.

That would be awesome to see mpg unaffected over stock going to e85, so hopefully those are the results you do find. Unfortunately for those in my area e85 is still not readily available and station growth is projected to decrease this year.

Also, I sent you a PM a while back about continuing education for tuning essentially, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a couple minutes to read/reply. I'd imagine you'd be a good resource for the info im looking for.

Edit saw the AEM thing you added. My point was that I can buy one for 1200 (350 over your flash) and then my only limit is my own ability in regards to tuning. Im not saying its practical in this instance purely just using it as cost comparison between two extremes of no tune control to full tune control.
Can't say much more than I already have.

End user stuff won't be the same cost as my STG1 tune. That's silly and I would never support such a thing.

John
Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #443
NotSoJDM

Garage
Quote:
Can't say much more than I already have.

End user stuff won't be the same cost as my STG1 tune. That's silly and I would never support such a thing.

John
I would think they aren't comparable as with one product your buying a service (your tunes) while the other product you are buying hardware/software to allow the end user to tune (no service provided). Unless you plan to provide some additional support to those with end user liscenses?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #444
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
I would think they aren't comparable as with one product your buying a service (your tunes) while the other product you are buying hardware/software to allow the end user to tune (no service provided). Unless you plan to provide some additional support to those with end user liscenses?
What I mean is - I wouldnt tell ecutek "hey that's a good idea lets charge them a lot "
Old 09-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #445
NotSoJDM

Garage
Quote:
What I mean is - I wouldnt tell ecutek "hey that's a good idea lets charge them a lot "
lol well greatly appreciated!

I am after all just a middle income citizen just lookin to have fun with his brz!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #446
MattR
Running in the 90s

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
See you tomorrow. I'll be out bright and early.
Sorry I didn't make it. Got on the road from Wilmington way too late and got into town at like 1pm. Maybe next time!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #447
NotSoJDM

Garage
Sounds good. See you there
Old 09-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #448
NotSoJDM

Garage
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346708069.373282.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  257.9 KB
This was before Our second white one showed.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346708093.524541.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  143.4 KB
Tried to get one of the both of them at the same time. lol.