follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
Gir

Drives: 86 GT Manual - Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
If you pulled off the moister barrier you should cover the whole door. The Dynamat will then act as a replacement barrier.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir View Post
If you pulled off the moister barrier you should cover the whole door. The Dynamat will then act as a replacement barrier.
Yeah photo doesn't show I finished product.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir View Post
Dynaliner would be better to replace the barrier. Leave the CLD on the outer skin.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Here is the near-finished product on the passenger side. I sealed the open holes with pieces of a "For Rent" sign and some duct tape and then some additional application of CLD (FTMAT).

I really like the way the 6.5" speaker sounds now with the holes sealed. I also really like the sound of how the door shuts. With the driver side undone and the passenger as it is right now, I can really tell and hear the difference.

I think I should probably try to put a layer of Dynaliner (CCF) in between the inner skin and the door card. For those of you guys that have done it, does CCF make that much of a difference? Not sure if I'm going to do MLD though as recommended at http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #19
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
Here is the near-finished product on the passenger side. I sealed the open holes with pieces of a "For Rent" sign and some duct tape and then some additional application of CLD (FTMAT).

I really like the way the 6.5" speaker sounds now with the holes sealed. I also really like the sound of how the door shuts. With the driver side undone and the passenger as it is right now, I can really tell and hear the difference.

I think I should probably try to put a layer of Dynaliner (CCF) in between the inner skin and the door card. For those of you guys that have done it, does CCF make that much of a difference? Not sure if I'm going to do MLD though as recommended at http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/.
ccf didnt make much if any of a difference for me. Personally I dont think all cars need cld,ccf, and mld. most are fine with just cld.
I did the dynaliner because I had it already, but I really dont think it was needed.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cruzinbill For This Useful Post:
mit_peid (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #20
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Since I didn't answer the OP's question: yes, it's fine to leave the black glue. However, it is ultra super duper easy to take that black glue off if you still have your moisture barrier sheets - the "glue" tends to stay stuck to the plastic moisture barrier so you can just dab it on to the "glue" that is still stuck to your door and pull it away. The "glue" will stick to itself and if you pull it off quickly enough, you'll have no black stuff on the door.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #21
Nothing

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
I am attempting to install Dynamat for the first time in my doors, and I removed the plastic moisture barrier per the instructions, but the adhesive left on the door is so soft and sticky that it's a pain in the ass to try and remove. The more I try to scrub it off (after using some adhesive remover) the more it seems that I'm just spreading it around. Is it OK to just put the Dynamat over the adhesive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
I'm installing GTMAT right now on my FRS. 25ft^2 of GTMAT Ultra (80mil) cost me $60 shipped & no tax from Amazon.link The kit also comes with a little roller than really helps with installation (you need to buy it separate with Dynamat - another $15).

The 25ft^2 should be enough to make a difference.... installed in the two doors, the trunk lid, and some light use under the spare tire... it really all depends on how much weight you want to add to a light sports car. For the doors, I have about 30% coverage on the outer skin, and 30% coverage on the inner skin (focused around the 6.5" woofer). Websites on this stuff says the important thing (besides eliminating rattles) is to separate the air from the front of the woofer from the air behind the speaker. That's why I bought some "For Rent" signs and duct-taped the few holes that exist on the inner skin. I'm still looking for something similar to Dynaliner for between the inner skin and the door card. Be careful not to overdo the trunk liner or else the auto trunk release may not open the trunk cause its too heavy. Make sure you also take care of the rear license plate/frame cause that is a very common source of rattles.

Here's a "work-in-progress" photo from Saturday.... I can post some more of the finished product later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
ccf didnt make much if any of a difference for me. Personally I dont think all cars need cld,ccf, and mld. most are fine with just cld.
I did the dynaliner because I had it already, but I really dont think it was needed.

For most of you I'm guessing that you're dynamating for the improved audio and that's a great advantage but what about the outside road noise and improved cabin quietness even over things like road noise or a loud exhaust?
Old 05-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #22
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Necro-thread - anyone have a DIY on this for taking the doors apart? I know, remove it all, wrap it up, put it back together. Right, got it.

I'm wondering if there are any tricks to getting the door panels off/on without breaking clips or fasteners.
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollosHermanos View Post
Necro-thread - anyone have a DIY on this for taking the doors apart? I know, remove it all, wrap it up, put it back together. Right, got it.

I'm wondering if there are any tricks to getting the door panels off/on without breaking clips or fasteners.
Screwdriver with tape on the end. Wiggle it under the silver inlay of the door handle... from the bottom or from the side at the bottom. Lever that tab out, and swing the inlay upward. Slip it out of the upper slot.

Undo the 2 bolts and using a panel popper or gently pulling every 6" around the side, bottom and other side. Lift the assembly upward. Find the electrical clips and unclip them. Find the door lock cables and fiddle with them until the balls come loose (hu hu hurr).

No major issues with this door, just be slow and gentle until you get comfortable with the layout.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #24
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollosHermanos View Post

Search is your friend: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...highlight=door
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
PollosHermanos (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #25
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
TIL I suck at searching.

Thanks.
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #26
SuperKazRacing

Drives: 2013 RED FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen View Post
I just did this on my BRZ and the doors are now rock solid. Next up is that rattling rear
I HAVE 75FT OF DYNAMAT ,AND STILL TOOK OUT MY 3RD BRAKE LIGHT .......................
SuperKazRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #27
AzFranz
Az to Nm to Az

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I am still in the process of gutting my interior. Trunk is done to include the entire rear deck...and the SOB is still rattling! That 3rd brake light is a crappy piece of engineering. I think separating the assembly and Gorilla gluing it is my final answer before shooting it in the face.

Roof, floor, firewall, and tunnel are the next two days of work.