follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #43
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had mine finally replaced under warrenty. The thing didn't even to unlock the doors after sitting in the cold for 3 days. Not to mention all the times I boosted that POS battery.

Started without a hitch this morning at -23c, new battery sure does spin that engine better.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #44
mountainside
// how hard can it be?

Drives: 10 series frs : 6MT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
My '13 FRS was dead battery every Monday morning through November/December as well as some days after wrk (parked outside.) I thought it might have been a battery drain issue due to subwoofer but it was installed in summer and did not have issues previous to the cold weather. Guelph Toyota exchanged the battery for me under warranty.
mountainside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #45
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I only had 1 case where it wouldn't start and there was no good reason for it. Temp was -16 and it's started on colder days, even -28 which was the coldest day it's been this winter in my area. Anyway, I got in and cranked it and lights and radio came on fine but turn the key the rest of the way and got nothing at all. I suspected I needed a boost so I got out of the car and went inside to get one of my coworkers. While he was on his way over, I got back in my car and tried cranking it again and it started like normal. No idea what happened here.

Mine definitely has rough starts any time the temperature drops below -10c but it does start. Coldest day I've had to start it was -27 and it was especially rough but still started.

There was one other time it didn't start but it was my own dumb fault. I left the dome light on the night before by accident. Whoops.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #46
Wilso
"Patience young Padawan"

Drives: 2017 Crystal White BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
On one like -25C night mine had a bit of trouble, but so far so good. Mind you I live in the GTA so.. I got nothing to complain about compared to those out west/ east
Wilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #47
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,638 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Last fall I left my car in the garage for over a week while I was in bed with pneumonia. The car wouldn't crank and was completely dead. Normally when the car sat for any duration as it does during winter storage I keep a battery tender connected. Ended up jump starting and driving to the dealer, careful not to stall. The battery didn't pass a charge test and they installed a Toyota 540 CCA battery under warranty. If I had to buy a new battery I'd probably go for a similar unit. My guess is they used a low amp battery from the factory to keep weight and cost down. With the synthetic 0W-20 oil and manual transmission the stock unit never seemed to be underpowered while starting. Perhaps I just got a defective unit. The dealer and I couldn't think of or see where there could have been parasitic power drain.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote