follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
PolishFrs13
building life

Drives: Raven Black, 6MT
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Traction control

So, my traction controls turns off for about 30 seconds & than it turns on again.. And I can't turn it off again after that. Has this happened to anyone? Any help?

Sent from somewhere
PolishFrs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:53 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,822 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I suggest you read pages 175 and 176 (at least that's the way it is in my 2013 FRS manual) where it talks about the TRAC system. That may shed some light on what's going on .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Step 1. Remove ABS fuse.

Step 2. Throw it in the trash.

Step 3. Never give a f*ck again

Step 4. Drive
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (12-29-2014), sybrite (12-31-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishFrs13 View Post
So, my traction controls turns off for about 30 seconds & than it turns on again.. And I can't turn it off again after that. Has this happened to anyone? Any help?

Sent from somewhere

Let's start with a little clarification for us reading this. Are you just pressing the trac button? If so, this will light up the lights, but after 30sec, or you start moving, the light will turn off and traction control will never be disengaged.

Page 175-176 of the Manual basically says to press that button, hold it, love it, and watch the light turn on after 5-6 seconds letting you know trac is off. Then it will stay off.

If this solves your problem, awesome. Please remember this mode (Trac off) is designed for drivers on a racetrack more than for drivers on the street and it is considered a safety feature of the vehicle so please be safe. No one on this forum wants to see a twin wrapped around some tree.

**Important note** If this is not the solution to your problem, I have some other things to try before you pull fuses. I, personally, never did like the idea of getting rid of my ABS fuse, though it seems to be a popualr thing on this forum.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Step 1. Remove ABS fuse.

Step 2. Throw it in the trash.

Step 3. Never give a f*ck again

Step 4. Drive

WINNER!!! #1 worst advice on a forum I have ever seen.
Clearly you are not a lawyer.

Do you also give advice on how to make Butane Hash Oil in the comfort of your own home?
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
WINNER!!! #1 worst advice on a forum I have ever seen.
Clearly you are not a lawyer.

Do you also give advice on how to make Butane Hash Oil in the comfort of your own home?

WINNER!!! #1 example of somebody who can't sense sarcasm in a post.
Clearly you are not a comedian.

Do you also give advice on how to catch a unicorn using only a condom and a paper clip?
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Apoc (12-29-2014), continuecrushing (12-29-2014), FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-30-2014), stugray (12-29-2014), Ultramaroon (12-30-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
PolishFrs13
building life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
Let's start with a little clarification for us reading this. Are you just pressing the trac button? If so, this will light up the lights, but after 30sec, or you start moving, the light will turn off and traction control will never be disengaged.

Page 175-176 of the Manual basically says to press that button, hold it, love it, and watch the light turn on after 5-6 seconds letting you know trac is off. Then it will stay off.

If this solves your problem, awesome. Please remember this mode (Trac off) is designed for drivers on a racetrack more than for drivers on the street and it is considered a safety feature of the vehicle so please be safe. No one on this forum wants to see a twin wrapped around some tree.

**Important note** If this is not the solution to your problem, I have some other things to try before you pull fuses. I, personally, never did like the idea of getting rid of my ABS fuse, though it seems to be a popualr thing on this forum.

I push the button in, hold it light stays on.. I start driving & after like less than a minute and the light turns back off & I can't dis engage it again unless I restart the car

Sent from somewhere
Old 12-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Celadrielas

Quote:
I push the button in, hold it light stays on.. I start driving & after like less than a minute and the light turns back off & I can't dis engage it again unless I restart the car

Sent from somewhere

Ok, two options. A) unplug the battery and leave it for 10 mins. This will reset ECU due to lack of power. Car will have to relearn your driving and you'll need to reset all stereo and clock settings. B) If the vehicle is at full operating temp -- Like it would be in a track setting -- you can do the pedal dance. This would be done as follows and must be done within the first 30 seconds of the vehicle being turned on:

Starting with the vehicle at full temp, but off...

1) Turn on the vehicle, making sure there is no pedals pressed or e-brake engaged.

2) pull up the e-brake 3 times fully, button pressed in so it doesn't lock, and hold it in the up position, button pressed in on the 3rd pull.

3) with E-brake held up, pump the brake pedal 3 times, holding the pedal firmly on the 3rd press.

4) repeat step 2

5) pump the brake pedal twice.

At this point, the lights on your dash should light up as if you've turned traction control off. This is what has been called the "pedal dance" if you need to see a video, and it will make the car drive like an analog vehicle. That is, it drives like a 1995 vehicle. Only ABS will be turned on.

*** THIS CAN MAKE THE VEHICLE WANT TO STEP OUT UNDER LOAD OR WEIGHT TRANSFER -- Myself, this forum, subaru, toyota, scion of america, and everyone else cannot be held responsible if you fail to maintain control of the vehicle. ***

please, please, please be careful if you don't have experience driving a vehicle that can step out, or find a safe place where you have permission to let the vehicle be this way. I want you safe and having fun, not wrapped around a pole.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ok, two options. A) unplug the battery and leave it for 10 mins. This will reset ECU due to lack of power. Car will have to relearn your driving and you'll need to reset all stereo and clock settings. B) If the vehicle is at full operating temp -- Like it would be in a track setting -- you can do the pedal dance. This would be done as follows and must be done within the first 30 seconds of the vehicle being turned on:

Starting with the vehicle at full temp, but off...

1) Turn on the vehicle, making sure there is no pedals pressed or e-brake engaged.

2) pull up the e-brake 3 times fully, button pressed in so it doesn't lock, and hold it in the up position, button pressed in on the 3rd pull.

3) with E-brake held up, pump the brake pedal 3 times, holding the pedal firmly on the 3rd press.

4) repeat step 2

5) pump the brake pedal twice.

At this point, the lights on your dash should light up as if you've turned traction control off. This is what has been called the "pedal dance" if you need to see a video, and it will make the car drive like an analog vehicle. That is, it drives like a 1995 vehicle. Only ABS will be turned on.

*** THIS CAN MAKE THE VEHICLE WANT TO STEP OUT UNDER LOAD OR WEIGHT TRANSFER -- Myself, this forum, subaru, toyota, scion of america, and everyone else cannot be held responsible if you fail to maintain control of the vehicle. ***

please, please, please be careful if you don't have experience driving a vehicle that can step out, or find a safe place where you have permission to let the vehicle be this way. I want you safe and having fun, not wrapped around a pole.
Slight but a question I've asked before, does anyone know whether the ECU logs the pedal dance "diagnostic" mode. I feel like maybe somehow if someone was seriously aggravated at Toyota?Scion/Subaru could find this flagged in the ECU somewhere and blame an issue on that.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
I want you safe and having fun, not wrapped around a pole.
in 4 part-out
Old 12-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
Celadrielas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Slight but a question I've asked before, does anyone know whether the ECU logs the pedal dance "diagnostic" mode. I feel like maybe somehow if someone was seriously aggravated at Toyota?Scion/Subaru could find this flagged in the ECU somewhere and blame an issue on that.
I never thought about this. I usually drive in sport mode but have never hit my rev limiter in any mode. Maybe I'll just have to help my dealer "Forget" I ever did it.

I'm just kidding. I would actually like to know this too.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
PolishFrs13
building life

Garage
Sadly my traction still only turns on for about 30 seconds.

Sent from somewhere
Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sadly my traction still only turns on for about 30 seconds.

Sent from somewhere
even with the pedal dance?
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
PolishFrs13
building life

Garage
Yes even with the pedal dance

Sent from somewhere