follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I just ran into an acquaintance of mine who drag races DSM's; he picked up a 2013 Civic Si and was showing it to me... I felt like saying "why didn't you get an FR-S or a WRX?"

The general consensus of Scion FR-S vs. Civic HFP was that the FR-S was better, so there's no way a regular Si would be a better choice, either.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
ipothas

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMenrique View Post
Still being a Civic owner and hopefully buying an FR-S this month, I agree that the new Civic looks like shit. I think thats the general consensus amongst other Honda owners as well.

The new Si's are quick, just as the FR-S'. Each has their own benefits. But what is keeping me from buying a new Si and going with the FR-S is that the Civic just feels like a kids car. Its almost like a phase that has just past.
I agree with this entirely.
ipothas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Seeing as my previous vehicle was a Cobalt SS turbocharged... all I can say is that front wheel drive and sports car do not belong in the same sentence. Maybe it was the fact that my car did not have LSD, regardless, torque steer showed it's ugly head when I got the GMS1 upgrade (260HP/260TQ->280HP/320TQ). I have lots count on how many times when I was trying to pass someone or go around them, when I punched it, I had to struggle to keep the wheel steady and not steer off the road.

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
frsinpa

Drives: fr-s!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
New SI looks like shit.
Agreed - so ugly.

I see grandmas driving around in the Honda Civic coupes all the time too. Definitely not something I would consider.

Nothing against Honda - they make amazing products, but in terms of styling (especially as of late) it's always a little underwhelming. I just couldn't spend money on a sports car that I didn't like from an exterior perspective.
frsinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsinpa View Post
Agreed - so ugly.

I see grandmas driving around in the Honda Civic coupes all the time too. Definitely not something I would consider.

Nothing against Honda - they make amazing products, but in terms of styling (especially as of late) it's always a little underwhelming. I just couldn't spend money on a sports car that I didn't like from an exterior perspective.
I wouldn't exactly call the Si a "sports car". I had a 2008 Si, and it was "zippy", but definitely not a sports car. It felt like an econobox with an upgraded motor.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #20
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed View Post
Having come from a FWD car that's in the Si's class (Speed 3), I refuse to own a FWD sports/sporty car again. Even at their best, they're still clumsy and not particularly sporty - all it did was make me regret getting rid of my RX8, which is actually the entire reason I bought my BRZ. If you're just looking for a slight bump in power over all the practicality and economy of a regular compact sedan, a car like the Si will probably be just fine, but if fun is your focus I'd recommend sticking with RWD and AWD vehicles that were designed from the ground up with performance in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasianman View Post
Seeing as my previous vehicle was a Cobalt SS turbocharged... all I can say is that front wheel drive and sports car do not belong in the same sentence. Maybe it was the fact that my car did not have LSD, regardless, torque steer showed it's ugly head when I got the GMS1 upgrade (260HP/260TQ->280HP/320TQ). I have lots count on how many times when I was trying to pass someone or go around them, when I punched it, I had to struggle to keep the wheel steady and not steer off the road.
You guy's cant compare your cars to a civic Si. The civic is far superior to both in terms of handling and potential to handle better.

The SI can be set up to over-steer with very little money in modification. It's is just about the closest FF platform in terms of attaining RWD like characteristics.
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
Tt3Sheppard

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Yea I used to own a 2007 SI coupe that after some modifications had very little body roll, little to no understeer and could actually be oversteered easily if needed. With a little bit of money you can make these things a track beast.
Tt3Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tt3Sheppard For This Useful Post:
dnieves (11-06-2013), rice_classic (10-03-2012), TouchMyHonda (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Quote:
I hear you there. My super sentra puts down 400+WTQ on high boost and it is a handful when traction is actually available. The Helical diff keeps you on your toes. It is a lot of fun though on the track or in a twisty canyon. The car handles well, only understeers under power, and on only 10psi is more car than I bargained for in the twisties. Straight line speed is awesome.

The BRZ is my replacement to the Super Sentra though. Something I can have fun with, without breaking every speed limit in 3 seconds. I feel like overpowered FWD are very fun, but like any car, it loses it's fun when you feel you must hold it back too much.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
Eurasianman
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMyHonda View Post
You guy's cant compare your cars to a civic Si. The civic is far superior to both in terms of handling and potential to handle better.

The SI can be set up to over-steer with very little money in modification. It's is just about the closest FF platform in terms of attaining RWD like characteristics.
I test drove a Civic Si and compared to my old Cobalt SS, I would say the handling was about the same, except the Cobalt SS had a hell of a lot more power and was in the same price range as the Civic Si. There was also a Cobalt SS turbocharged sedan for.... one year Talk about a sleeper when de-badged.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinions, right? :happy0180:

Old 10-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
Eurasianman
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coheed View Post
I feel like overpowered FWD are very fun, but like any car, it loses it's fun when you feel you must hold it back too much.
It was fun... until I realized that the reason LSD was optional was because from the factory, the torque steer wasn't as bad. Once I got the power upgraded, the car was fun... until I was trying to pass people and had to struggle to stop the car from pulling to both sides of the road. There were a few times where I almost got in a wreck because of torque steer I've tried to feather the gas when passing people, but regardless, I could never get the same method and results to work every time under the same conditions.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #25
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I test drove a Civic Si and compared to my old Cobalt SS, I would say the handling was about the same, except the Cobalt SS had a hell of a lot more power and was in the same price range as the Civic Si. There was also a Cobalt SS turbocharged sedan for.... one year Talk about a sleeper when de-badged.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinions, right? :happy0180:
They are sleepers anyway. One I raced on the highway for a few pulls was dead even with me. We were dead even 60-140 every time, and it looked totally stock. I was probably a flat 13's car on street tires at the time, YEARS ago. All I could do was LOL at the results and give him a big thumbs up and a wave. He however looks upset and displeased.
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #26
Allankh
Akaytch

Drives: TSX, tC2(sold), FRS(waiting)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The 9th SI (or whatever the current generation is) is:
1.Ugly
2.Stale
3.TALL

Now I haven't driven the 9th SI, but the 8th SI was remarkable on the track. The abundance of parts for the SI is unbelievable. The 8th SI (4dr) was very balanced on the track, and I personally loved the exhaust note.

Although, the 9th SI boasts superior numbers, you really need to drive the car to understand how effective it is at using it's power. There's a reason why the 8th SI was so hot selling where as the 9th SI.... not so much...

Test drive both cars for as long as you can, I test drove the FRS for more than 1 hr (a few sessions, AT and MT) and really learned to love the car.
Allankh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allankh For This Useful Post:
SupraLove (11-13-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #27
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Was not a support of Hondas for the longest time as everyone in my family had one (all autos) and I hated driving them felt soo bland to me that was until I actually picked one up myself as a temp car (EK hatch 96) while I waited for the twins to be made (4 years ago) little by little that car won me over. I ended up going crazy on mods with it, coilovers, camber kits, brace and better tires that little car handle very very well and the weight was nothing (2200) I swapped motors and man I see why the 90's version of Honda was praised soo much however would I get one now? No

Stock they aren't great cars really especially now given that Honda sells basicly thru rep and not because the product has been improved. I think the 9th gen looks terrible. Stock for stock the FRS is better IMO (just on feel alone) and modded I rather deal with Lots of power to the driving wheels and leaving the front wheels for steering as oppose to having the front wheels deal with both.

For the price I don't think the new Si is worth it at all given the new breed of cars around these days

also Honda has lots of great cars they just never send any over to NA anymore.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #28
ERZperformance

Drives: Nissan GTR 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
New SI looks like shit.
"New SI looks like shit".. that's hella funny but I have to agree with you on that. They do look like shit. I liked the previous generation in the sedan SI.
ERZperformance is offline   Reply With Quote