follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #85
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njjawn View Post
I have 2 10" subwoofers in my trunk capable of plenty of bass. While I plan on replacing the door speakers, is there any way I can remove some bass from the door speakers to prevent them from getting distorted? I listen to mostly rap/hiphop/electronic music.
Door speakers are only woofers. If your subs handle the same freq, then you can probably just get rid of them for now. Just test it and see how it sounds?

Aside from that, there's really no way to change the cutoff for the doors since that's all built into the factory amp, or so I understand...
Old 09-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #86
Choco
Embarrassed Doge

Drives: Shibaru BRZ
Thanked 1,674 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you! I will try your settings when I get the chance!
Choco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Choco For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-02-2015)
Old 09-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #87
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
Door speakers are only woofers. If your subs handle the same freq, then you can probably just get rid of them for now. Just test it and see how it sounds?

Aside from that, there's really no way to change the cutoff for the doors since that's all built into the factory amp, or so I understand...
You can always throw some bassblockers on while you're deciding on the final setup.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:53 AM   #88
Lokenzi

Drives: 2015 Blue.Series.BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ty guys! Most helpful
Lokenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #89
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I don't think those bass blocking capacitors work.

I also have a 12" sub in the trunk and my door speakers sound terrible. I disconnected the power plug to the factory amp in the trunk that powers the door speakers and I can now put the volume up to 100% and its nice and clear. I eventually will replace the door speakers and get an aftermarket amplifier for them along with a new headunit that will allow me to crossover the frequencies correctly.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #90
redfred

Drives: Red BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for posting the EQ settings. I also turned off the EQ settings on my i-Pod too, and am finally pleased with the way the stereo sounds now. Thanks again.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #91
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
I don't think those bass blocking capacitors work.
If they didn't then no multi-driver speaker in the world would work.

'Bass blockers' are simply capacitors put inline on the + side of the speaker lead. They provide a 6 dB/octave slope starting at the frequency you select - an octave lower than the crossover frequency will deliver a factor of 4 less power to the drivers, 2 octaves you will be down a factor of 16. The door units really aren't that bad but most music today is mixed so bass-heavy they get overwhelmed. I would pick a cap that starts filtering at 80 Hz (you can find what farad cap here: http://ccs.exl.info/calc_cr.html - from that page an 80 Hz high pass for a 2 ohm load is ~990 uF. Go to partexpress.com for caps). That will leave you punch for the bass without overdriving the units with the really low stuff.

Even if you have a sub I would not disconnect the door speakers, a 10" sub is not going to be able to accurately produce high enough frequencies to reach up to the crossover point of the 4" dash speakers. They are crossed over very high for 4" drivers.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #92
Aarthar

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited WRB
I'm using the settings described previously and they sound much better than flat. However, when I set the audio position to R2 or R4 and I turn the car off, the "audio position" setting turns off and I have to go back into the position menu and turn it back on (it remembers it was on R2 or R4, I just have to open the menu to re-enable it). Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution? Is it possibly a firmware update on the HU? It's a 2015 and I got it in November.

Sorry to revive a somewhat old thread, but I didn't want to start another and this seems like a good place to ask this question.

Last edited by Aarthar; 02-19-2015 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
Aarthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #93
8ighty6

Drives: WRB BRZ
I drove home EXTREMELY disappointed with the sound system/headunit after picking up my BRZ. It was worse than my old camry. SO glad I found this thread. It now sounds acceptable at the very least.
8ighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #94
dgcam55

Drives: 2013 Limited
avholic, I tried your settings. They are a big improvement.
I've had my BRZ 2 weeks and have been trying to get a good sound of the system and struggled. Your settings removed the bass buzz from the door, balanced out the top & low end to mid, as well as front to back balance...giving me the feeling of being more immersed in the music. Love it. Thank you!
dgcam55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #95
Djratrap

Drives: BRZ CSB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
ASL is for Speed Control. The faster you go, the louder the volume gets to compensate for road noise.

SVC controls your Device Input Volume. If your iPod or something sounds too low then you can raise this setting towards +. The only issue I have with doing this is that I've noticed I'm not able to completely silence my music unless the SVC setting is on 0. If I have it set to even +1 then when I turn my volume all the way down I will still slightly hear audio.

I've tried the EQ settings in this thread and wasn't very pleased. It might just depend on the type of music you listen to. I found a different thread that gave me much better results. I'll post a link if I come across it.

EDIT: Found the EQ settings that I've been using.
I've changed my settings from the OP to yours and WOW! My oem kicker sub-woofer sounds perfect now (minus a few rattles here and there). These settings have a much fuller sound, the OP settings made some instrumentals inaudible. I couldn't here the intros to a lot of songs (smashing pumpkins - cherub rock), in some cases it completely silenced certain songs (modjo - lady). Now they sound great.

Last edited by Djratrap; 04-17-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Djratrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Djratrap For This Useful Post:
ericmpena (04-16-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:58 AM   #96
BRZErskine

Drives: 2016 WRB BRZ Limited
Great thread! Anyone messed with this on a 2016 and got a good result? I tried to match the OPs settings as closely as I could, but the frequencies appear slightly different on my HU. Either way my current settings are much better than flat, so thank you. FYI...I pretty much only listen to Rap.

Below is what I have adjusted to by ear. Currently I have the speakers centered, as I found the rear bias to make the sound very quiet. I'm only getting slight distortion in the door speakers when turned up higher than 33.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by BRZErskine; 07-25-2016 at 10:17 AM.
BRZErskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #97
Kollan

Drives: BMW E3
I'm searching for the main thing = more bass with a clear sound. My remedy for that will be to get my subwoofer installed and buy new speakers because it doesn't seem like it will be possible without those...at least not for the amount of clarity I'd like. I can take a picture of my EQ next time I'm in there. I am not a "stereo nerd" at all, I just play around with the settings til it sounds good to me. I just got our BRZ https://wheelstips.com/best-car-audio-equalize last night and haven't messed with the audio much myself to see what the stock (no sub yet) system is capable of. I also found that using the preset EQ 5 with the two lowest settings raised to about 75%, along with the fader set to about 25% more towards the rear and the ASL on high produces a much better sound than factory settings.

Last edited by Kollan; 10-15-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Kollan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:51 AM   #98
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollan View Post
I'm searching for the main thing = more bass with a clear sound. My remedy for that will be to get my subwoofer installed and buy new speakers because it doesn't seem like it will be possible without those...at least not for the amount of clarity I'd like. I can take a picture of my EQ next time I'm in there. I am not a "stereo nerd" at all, I just play around with the settings til it sounds good to me. I just got our BRZ last night and haven't messed with the audio much myself to see what the stock (no sub yet) system is capable of. I also found that using the preset EQ 5 with the two lowest settings raised to about 75%, along with the fader set to about 25% more towards the rear and the ASL on high produces a much better sound than factory settings.
Don't bother with new speakers, buy a head unit and a sub. The head unit itself will be better sound quality in every way. Or you can buy a unit that boosts the signal and makes it sound better if you want to keep the stock head unit. That is the real problem here, it just puts out awful sound.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote