follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #15
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
keep in mind one of the biggest hurdles is to find the connectors at reasonable prices. when i spoke to rudy he explained that's really why he had to sell the harness for how much he listed it for. cause he had to buy a ton of connectors at bulk prices. at least that's what he said.
They can all be purchased individually. The 7 pin ones, which have the part number starting with IL were really hard to track down, and those may be the ones he had to buy in bulk (they only sell them in 500 units from alibaba). However, I found them from www.digikey.com for less than a buck each, and they appear to sell individually. Also they have the corresponding pins as well. Some of the toyota number connector have knockoffs that can be purchased from Japan. Either, was you are probably looking at 50-60 bucks for the connectors. Also you need to buy all the appropriate pins, and wire. So, 100 bucks would be a reasonable supply cost.
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #16
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaetagnath View Post
They can all be purchased individually. The 7 pin ones, which have the part number starting with IL were really hard to track down, and those may be the ones he had to buy in bulk (they only sell them in 500 units from alibaba). However, I found them from www.digikey.com for less than a buck each, and they appear to sell individually. Also they have the corresponding pins as well. Some of the toyota number connector have knockoffs that can be purchased from Japan. Either, was you are probably looking at 50-60 bucks for the connectors. Also you need to buy all the appropriate pins, and wire. So, 100 bucks would be a reasonable supply cost.
yeah. that doesn't seem too bad. now it's just a matter of finding someone to either front the money and/or to make the thing itself. should/could be pretty easy to make once all the parts are gathered thanks to your thorough diagrams. i'm surprised no other vendor is trying to make/sell these. i think if the harness cost 250-400 then it would have been a lot more palatable for people than what rudy had priced it at.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #17
tiz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven) MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can't believe there aren't more electrical guys on here that can make this harness...Maybe I should start asking around my work
tiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tiz22 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (07-30-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 01:47 AM   #18
ir1064

Drives: 6MT, C7P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
found his profile from Linkedin, but don't know how to get in touch with him, really interested in simple single zone conversion, our ride is too small for dual zone control to be useful.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/rudy-compart/7/b3a/b20
ir1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:03 AM   #19
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I'll buy a harness if someone will make it. These wiring diagrams make my head hurt...
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #20
supercharged2

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Glad to see more and more people trying to figure this out. I have had my harness built since late last year, but i really don't want to remove the factory manual hvac box.

Looking at the pictures and comparing them to my auto hvac box, one thing is apparent. You can only add the driver side servo to the manual HVAC box. The passenger side is missing 2 mounting posts, and the gear is different. So if you want the true Dual Zone CC, you need to swap boxes.

As far as building you own harness, I can help with sourcing some of the plugs. I started out with a Limited dash harness. You can completely separate the HVAC wiring from the harness. One important thing to note is that the rear window defroster is controlled by the CAN system in Auto HVAC cars. There are also power/ground and illumination wires that you can find in the junction plugs in the stock harness to save you a little more headache (im going for as close to factory as possible and minimizing cuts in the car).

Two of the servo plugs can be found in 01-03 Honda Civic's HVAC wiring. It will come with 3 green 7 pin plugs. One you will use for the driver side temp servo. The other for the Fresh/Recirc servo. You can use the one in the car, but you will need to cut and splice in two wires from the Auto HVAC harness.

The 5 pin face/feet servo plug I found on a Lexus auto light sensor harness, but if you find the 01-03 Civic, im sure you can find one in there. It seems to be a pretty common plug in both toyotas and hondas.

The blower resistor plug I found on a Honda Odyssey, but you can also find it on a 98-02 Accord(not sure about this one, but the blower resistor looks the same).

The driver side evaporator temp sensor plug can be cut from the manual harness and spliced into the auto harness.

The cabin sensor has a small harness attached to the tube, so I would cut and solder to that. If you have the dash harness, this plug is included.

I hope this will help some of those who want to try and build their own harness.
supercharged2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to supercharged2 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (01-16-2016)
Old 08-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #21
tiz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged2 View Post
Glad to see more and more people trying to figure this out. I have had my harness built since late last year, but i really don't want to remove the factory manual hvac box.

Looking at the pictures and comparing them to my auto hvac box, one thing is apparent. You can only add the driver side servo to the manual HVAC box. The passenger side is missing 2 mounting posts, and the gear is different. So if you want the true Dual Zone CC, you need to swap boxes.

As far as building you own harness, I can help with sourcing some of the plugs. I started out with a Limited dash harness. You can completely separate the HVAC wiring from the harness. One important thing to note is that the rear window defroster is controlled by the CAN system in Auto HVAC cars. There are also power/ground and illumination wires that you can find in the junction plugs in the stock harness to save you a little more headache (im going for as close to factory as possible and minimizing cuts in the car).

Two of the servo plugs can be found in 01-03 Honda Civic's HVAC wiring. It will come with 3 green 7 pin plugs. One you will use for the driver side temp servo. The other for the Fresh/Recirc servo. You can use the one in the car, but you will need to cut and splice in two wires from the Auto HVAC harness.

The 5 pin face/feet servo plug I found on a Lexus auto light sensor harness, but if you find the 01-03 Civic, im sure you can find one in there. It seems to be a pretty common plug in both toyotas and hondas.

That was quite the first post! Thanks for the info.

Would you be willing to sell me your harness since it sounds like you won't be doing the install? I could give it to my electrical engineering buddy so he can reverse-engineer
Old 08-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #22
DIM

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz22 View Post

Would you be willing to sell me your harness since it sounds like you won't be doing the install? I could give it to my electrical engineering buddy so he can reverse-engineer
That'd be awesome if your buddy could make more.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #23
tiz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIM View Post
That'd be awesome if your buddy could make more.
Yeah I'm an engineer for Toyota so positive one of my coworkers will be able to do it...I just need a harness for them to see

Here's to hoping someone is willing to part with theirs for the greater cause!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #24
supercharged2

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks! Yeah I've been a lurker for a while. I'm still using the harness, I'm just going to modify it a little for the single control.

You'll want Chaetagnath's harness because it uses plugs that mine doesn't. The 8 pin plug for the manual harness (plug 2 on his diagram), and plug 3 for the D29 option connector behind the radio. Plus the conversion plugs for the blower resistor. These plugs make it way more plug and play then mine. Those will be the harder plugs to find but the junkyard is a magical place...
supercharged2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #25
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I am feeling hopeful that this is going someplace....
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #26
tiz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged2 View Post
Thanks! Yeah I've been a lurker for a while. I'm still using the harness, I'm just going to modify it a little for the single control.

You'll want Chaetagnath's harness because it uses plugs that mine doesn't. The 8 pin plug for the manual harness (plug 2 on his diagram), and plug 3 for the D29 option connector behind the radio. Plus the conversion plugs for the blower resistor. These plugs make it way more plug and play then mine. Those will be the harder plugs to find but the junkyard is a magical place...

Ah my bad thought you had the same one that he has - thx anyway
Old 08-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #27
tiz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
I am feeling hopeful that this is going someplace....

My main concern is that we have a lot of support for it now until it's time to pony up the $$... I remember accelerated talking to me about his harness saying he wasn't getting the orders he needed (I think he was trying to get 10 firmed up?) to buy stuff in bulk and make it cost effective

Doesn't mean I still won't try!
Old 08-06-2015, 04:25 AM   #28
DIM

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
My main concern is that we have a lot of support for it now until it's time to pony up the $$... I remember accelerated talking to me about his harness saying he wasn't getting the orders he needed (I think he was trying to get 10 firmed up?) to buy stuff in bulk and make it cost effective

Doesn't mean I still won't try!
From what I remember the harness alone costed around $1000, plus the other components for the single/dual temp to work.