follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valvewynn83 View Post
The PCV is used to collect unused gas vapors that did not get burned in combustion. The vapors collect in the crank casing and do nothing so the PCV valve pulls a vacuum to remove the vapors to send it back into the combustion chamber to be burned. So if you just connect the catch can to the PCV's and not the to the intake then you will have no vacuum to pull the vapors out and the can is pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
This car has one PCV valve.

It's primary function is recirculate or otherwise relieve the pressure buildup that can occur in the crankcase. Suspended oil particulate as well as fuel and water vapor can be extracted from the blow-by using a catch can. Normally blow-by is piped back to the intake to be burned off but the catch can with a proper baffle should be able to extract much of this material from the air so the intake has minimal oil exposure and maintains a cleaner condition.

How's that?

Thanks! Yeah I understood the basic concept of it's function, but thanks for both of your input

20valvewynn83 (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
20valvewynn83

Drives: 2013 FRS/01 Tacoma
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
So what I was getting at is as long as you have one end on the PCV and one end on the intake side (to pull vacuum) their is no wrong way to install this part.
20valvewynn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 20valvewynn83 For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I wonder how many noobs bought the Cusco for the looks and then either connected it wrong and collected nothing, or just left it to gather dust. The product looks nice but poorly packaged, that's all I can say.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Garage
Quote:
I wonder how many noobs bought the Cusco for the looks and then either connected it wrong and collected nothing, or just left it to gather dust. The product looks nice but poorly packaged, that's all I can say.

Unfortunately, probably many based on the pics I have seen. And in all fairness to NOOBS, you probably can't blame them if you look at all the different configurations people have used to install the Cusco catch can.

Then there's the individual that will occasionaly pop into these types of threads and say that the Cusco catch can is absolutely useless in it's design. The troubling part is, they really seem to know what their talking about and seem to have an expert opinion on the matter.

Needless to say, it's frustrating...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
20valvewynn83

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPxM0Dz View Post
Unfortunately, probably many based on the pics I have seen. And in all fairness to NOOBS, you probably can't blame them if you look at all the different configurations people have used to install the Cusco catch can.

Then there's the individual that will occasionaly pop into these types of threads and say that the Cusco catch can is absolutely useless in it's design. The troubling part is, they really seem to know what their talking about and seem to have an expert opinion on the matter.

Yeah I'm sure many noobs have it set up wrong. But truthfully this can has some function but it doesn't work as well as a separator that Crawford has, to separate the oil, gas and water (moisture). For the price of the Cusco can its worth it for more people then the Crawford separator.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Garage
Quote:
Yeah I'm sure many noobs have it set up wrong. But truthfully this can has some function but it doesn't work as well as a separator that Crawford has, to separate the oil, gas and water (moisture). For the price of the Cusco can its worth it for more people then the Crawford separator.

Yeah for the everyday driver the Cusco is probably fine. If you track your car, then Crawford is more than likely a better solution

I've even heard some say that the catch can is pointless altogether, unless you track your car
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
Ninjin

Drives: SWP BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

I'll be that guy this time. I bought and installed a Cusco catch can about 6 weeks ago. I made sure it was installed correctly, between the actual pcv valve and the intake. The documents with the can actually show it installed incorrectly, that probably should have tipped me off. After over a month of hard driving, the catch can was bone dry, but the clear tubing used with the can was filthy with oil vapor. I think that the lack of baffling combined with a mounting point in the hottest part of the engine bay right above the engine prevents any real accumulation of oil in the can. This past weekend I switched to the more expensive, but better designed, Radium can. It's already starting to show signs of oil accumulation after three days.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Ninjin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ninjin For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (01-22-2013), JPxM0Dz (01-22-2013), Metabrz (01-23-2013), PoorMansRacing (01-02-2014)
Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #22
20valvewynn83

Garage
Quote:
Yeah for the everyday driver the Cusco is probably fine. If you track your car, then Crawford is more than likely a better solution

I've even heard some say that the catch can is pointless altogether, unless you track your car
Yeah I've seen the post but truly you don't even need a separator unless your pushing out some high HP on the track. I know ill get bashed for this but who cares, I'm sure I drive just as fast and hard as others who track their cars and I do this on EMPTY freeways and on canyons at LATE hours of the night (1:00-2:00am) and I'm sure the Cusco can would work fine. Really all I would want is the oil to stop entering the throttle. Now if I had a turbo or supercharger then I would most definitely run a separator.
The Following User Says Thank You to 20valvewynn83 For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
The PCV is used to collect unused gas vapors that did not get burned in combustion. The vapors collect in the crank casing and do nothing so the PCV valve pulls a vacuum to remove the vapors to send it back into the combustion chamber to be burned. So if you just connect the catch can to the PCV's and not the to the intake then you will have no vacuum to pull the vapors out and the can is pointless.
I guess mine is pointless then, but I sure as hell can smell the vapors collecting in the can and coming out of the filter on top. I have the D3PE type 2 unit, and I have my hoses connected to the front and the rear with no vacuum in anticipation of my turbo install. Thanks for correcting me on the errors of my ways.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I guess mine is pointless then, but I sure as hell can smell the vapors collecting in the can and coming out of the filter on top. I have the D3PE type 2 unit, and I have my hoses connected to the front and the rear with no vacuum in anticipation of my turbo install. Thanks for correcting me on the errors of my ways.
I think your application would be "for off road use" if the fumes are emitted. Not useless. For a DD (which probablywill prove the can useless) I just put a home made baffle inside the can and in the spring when I drive it I will make a point of revving the engine freely whenever possible but I am doubtful there will be much there. It would be cool to have something like the Radium or Crawford which actually does have proven results but that doesn't mean this vehicle will have that much blow-by gas ever if running N/A. Turbo of course is different.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Garage
@wbradley Just for clarification looking at your diagram. What is the function of the 16mm to 9mm adaptor for the hose on the passenger side and what was your procedure on steel wool homemade baffle ?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #26
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
@wbradley Just for clarification looking at your diagram. What is the function of the 16mm to 9mm adaptor for the hose on the passenger side and what was your procedure on steel wool homemade baffle ?

Thanks
The hose supplied by Cusco is 16mm but the diameter of the PCV valve outlet is only 9MM. I improvised a part for this purpose.

I removed the inlet barbs and stuffed in some fluffed up stainless steel wool. Used a screw driver to stuff it in, and hopefully it fills but doesn't overfill the bottle.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (01-22-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #27
jdm-az-fuk

Drives: 2013 Fr-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Catch cans are meant to release crankcase pressure. They are usually installed on high compression motors(like ours) for motor under high levels of pressure(boosted motors).

High crank pressure can cause engine damage. You don't see or feel any difference in installing one of these. It only benefits the exhaling function of your motor.
jdm-az-fuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #28
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Excuse the dumb question, but where did you get the 16 - 9mm adapter? Did yours come with it or did you get it at a store? Thanks

Quote:
I know this looks like the writings of a mad man but a member asked for clarification on hookups.

ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote