follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #71
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
That is a return line from the head. Mine had a little packing in the same place. I'm not entirely sure how much impact that would have on overall flow though.
Any reduction in volume and flow has an impact of some sort no matter where it is in the stream.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #72
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,537 Times in 18,935 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Nice pic of an blocked gallery.
Will this not interfere with circulation?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=65661&page=5 post #67

Still on my quest for more pics of the loose stuff blocking parts of the system.
All the FIPS is on the return side. Chunks can end up in the pan and may get sucked up but, like ermax said, they get captured by the filter. The filter would have to be extremely clogged before the bypass valve opened far enough to let that stuff through.

I just don't see it happening.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #73
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
All the FIPS is on the return side. Chunks can end up in the pan and may get sucked up but, like ermax said, they get captured by the filter. The filter would have to be extremely clogged before the bypass valve opened far enough to let that stuff through.

I just don't see it happening.
That is plugged by about 60%. It is OK to reduce flow through any part of the system by 60%?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #74
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
That is plugged by about 60%. It is OK to reduce flow through any part of the system by 60%?
That side is fine. It is one of the many places the oil drains back to the pan. Perfectly ok.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #75
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Any reduction in volume and flow has an impact of some sort no matter where it is in the stream.
I agree but but there are large returns like this on all 4 corners of both heads. They are 3/4in in diameter. I just find it hard to believe this blockage on a return would have a significant impact. I totally agree that it would have some impact and I've been crossing my fingers that's all it was. This packing comes from the upper pan. When I resealed my pan it went into that return the same way. I waited until it was cured and then cut it out before moving forward with the project. I was crazy anal about following the packing instructions to the T and it still ended up there. So unless they are cutting this out at the factory before moving on then I suspect it would still be there, although insignificant.

Edit: and I see Ultramaroon beat me to it.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #76
Tcoat

Quote:
That side is fine. It is one of the many places the oil drains back to the pan. Perfectly ok.
What goes in has gotta go out and if it doesn't go out properly it does not go back in properly.
Ultramaroon (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #77
Tcoat

Quote:
I agree but but there are large returns like this on all 4 corners of both heads. They are 3/4in in diameter. I just find it hard to believe this blockage on a return would have a significant impact. I totally agree that it would have some impact and I've been crossing my fingers that's all it was. This packing comes from the upper pan. When I resealed my pan it went into that return the same way. I waited until it was cured and then cut it out before moving forward with the project. I was crazy anal about following the packing instructions to the T and it still ended up there. So unless they are cutting this out at the factory before moving on then I suspect it would still be there, although insignificant.

Edit: and I see Ultramaroon beat me to it.
Ultra likes it when he beats people....I mean when he posts first.

We can continue this circular argument for ages but neither will change our minds without more proof from one side or the other. If one gallery was plugged that bad what did the rest of the engine look like? I was not saying that that single plugged gallery was the cause but it wouldn't take to many other such plugs to screw up flow. The sad part is that it could show perfectly fine pressure but still be starving the engine in critical areas.
If somebody can show something that changes my mind I am open to it but I will not waver from my stand until something more probable is put out there.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #78
ermax

Quote:
Ultra likes it when he beats people....I mean when he posts first.

We can continue this circular argument for ages but neither will change our minds without more proof from one side or the other. If one gallery was plugged that bad what did the rest of the engine look like? I was not saying that that single plugged gallery was the cause but it wouldn't take to many other such plugs to screw up flow. The sad part is that it could show perfectly fine pressure but still be starving the engine in critical areas.
If somebody can show something that changes my mind I am open to it but I will not waver from my stand until something more probable is put out there.
In my case there was about a 40% blockage in the same spot you are referring to. But that was it and I was on a mission to find other blockage. There just wasn't any. I agree that if it can't get back to the pan it can't get reused but again there are many returns. I just don't feel that was the cause.

Here is mine:
Old 07-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #79
ermax

Anyone have any clue how they apply the packing at the factory? Is it done by humans or a robot? I think I'd trust the robot more. Hahaha
Old 07-17-2018, 02:44 AM   #80
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,852 Times in 16,436 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
WOW! What a read.

Two things I have taken away from this recent conversation and references, is that, number one, I would never attempt to take this engine apart and put it back together. The second thing is that I would never trust this engine that anyone else has taken apart and put back together.

When and if the internal parts of the engine in my FR-S fail, someone else is going to have them a car, screwed up engine and all.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #81
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
WOW! What a read.

Two things I have taken away from this recent conversation and references, is that, number one, I would never attempt to take this engine apart and put it back together. The second thing is that I would never trust this engine that anyone else has taken apart and put back together.

When and if the internal parts of the engine in my FR-S fail, someone else is going to have them a car, screwed up engine and all.

humfrz
This thing is a serious pain in the ass to rebuild due to all the packing. Not so much putting the packing on but cleaning it off. I literally spent more time cleaning packing than I did removing the engine and disassembling. I've removed packing on other engines but this Threebond 1217H seems more difficult to remove than most. The other pain in the ass is the valve lash. The manual says to seal up the cam assemblies and then check the lash. If the lash isn't right then you have to pull it back apart, clean all the packing off, get the right shims, put it all back together with new packing (again) and then recheck the lash and cross your fingers that it's right. When I indexed all my pivots, rockers and shims I somehow labeled them 180deg off. When I reinstalled I basically had everything from the intake side on the exhaust side. So the lash was all off but consistently off so I quickly figured out I simply had to rotate everything 180. So I had to strip all this packing back off (real fun) but when I threw it all back on a did it without packing, checked the lash, it was good. Pulled it back apart and then packed it. checked the lash.. still good. The packing will change the lash though so in the end you really do have to pack it before checking it. A dry fit only tells you if you're in the ballpark. I used the dry fit method on the other bank just to be sure I didn't get all those flipped too (they were not).

I have about 310 miles on mine and so far so good. After reading that thread Tcoat linked to I'm not convinced I'm out of the clear yet. I've gotten under the car to look all around to make sure I'm not leaking oil anywhere and everything is spotless so far. It will be nice not having that leak near the bottom right of the timing cover for a while.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-17-2018), Ultramaroon (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #82
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
It will be nice not having that leak near the bottom right of the timing cover for a while.
I bet you will have no trouble. I get a strong sense of attention to detail in your work. The trick to this sealant is all in the prep. Any contamination, even a fingerprint, will compromise the joint. I built up a couple leaky engines in my teen years.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #83
humfrz

Quote:
I bet you will have no trouble. I get a strong sense of attention to detail in your work. The trick to this sealant is all in the prep. Any contamination, even a fingerprint, will compromise the joint. I built up a couple leaky engines in my teen years.
Yes, whatever happened to gaskets

Buy a gasket set, take the engine apart, put on new gaskets and put it back together. No leaks, no pieces floating around inside the engine

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #84
humfrz

Quote:
Anyone have any clue how they apply the packing at the factory? Is it done by humans or a robot? I think I'd trust the robot more. Hahaha
I have a strong suspicion it's a robot -

humfrz