follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #15
zac8

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS black and 2007 impreza
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I haven't looked recently, but when it first came out, it was a lot of money for a kit that got very little power. It was designed to be the only CARB compliant kit, and so it has compromises that other kits don't have.

If I were going to do a street turbo, those cheap SBD kits are just fine. If I wanted to pay a lot for a kit, the Ptuning stuff looks the best designed.

Then again I've had the car for 5+ years now and I haven't added a turbo or supercharger. With a header and tune, the car makes enough power to have fun while not so much that you cannot wring it out. We have other cars for acceleration.
Didn't realize the SBD kits were much lower in price... seems like a bit too much power for me. I guess I am leaning towards the works kit is the conservative tune, non-invasive installation and saw a few posts commenting on the quality of the parts and stuff. Hoping the non carb tune will remove some of the compromises that i'm sure were made with the carb kit. I was considering just doing what you have done with the header and tune but wanted to go towards the FI route instead.
zac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #16
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac8 View Post
I am definitely going to get the black tips =] will look cool since car is black. does the exhaust ever make any pops for you?

Every once in a while! Only way to make it pop all the time is with a tune I believe. Black tips will definitely fit your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HachiRokuX For This Useful Post:
zac8 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 02:02 AM   #17
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Didn't realize the SBD kits were much lower in price... seems like a bit too much power for me. I guess I am leaning towards the works kit is the conservative tune, non-invasive installation and saw a few posts commenting on the quality of the parts and stuff. Hoping the non carb tune will remove some of the compromises that i'm sure were made with the carb kit. I was considering just doing what you have done with the header and tune but wanted to go towards the FI route instead.
The problem isn't the tune. It's the routing. To make the turbo CARB legal, they leave the cats in, which means really odd routing of all the exhaust gasses. Also, there is no such thing as too much power if you're going turbo. It's not that Works kits are conservative. It's that they're compromised designs. If I wanted to stay CARB legal, I'd get a JRSC. If I wanted to go turbo, even the SBD kit, the cheapest out there, is a better option than the Works.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:01 AM   #18
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Love my Corsa! Especially the black tips.

It does pop from time to time on the overrun. I wouldn't do a header since it makes the exhaust brutally loud, adds rasp, and defeats the no-drone RSC technology.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_kiPX58GU[/ame]

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
zac8 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 05:13 AM   #19
zac8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The problem isn't the tune. It's the routing. To make the turbo CARB legal, they leave the cats in, which means really odd routing of all the exhaust gasses. Also, there is no such thing as too much power if you're going turbo. It's not that Works kits are conservative. It's that they're compromised designs. If I wanted to stay CARB legal, I'd get a JRSC. If I wanted to go turbo, even the SBD kit, the cheapest out there, is a better option than the Works.
Its not that i need to stay carb legal, just need to be able to pass emissions when my time comes next year in RI. With the works kit im able to keep all the factory O2 sensors and cats in place. From what i've been seeing higher power numbers can result in less reliability... blowing rods for one.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:17 AM   #20
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Its not that i need to stay carb legal, just need to be able to pass emissions when my time comes next year in RI. With the works kit im able to keep all the factory O2 sensors and cats in place. From what i've been seeing higher power numbers can result in less reliability... blowing rods for one.
You can blow rods at any power level. Its not 100% directly related to PSI or power.

You need to do research, man. In to your states emissions, in to what people are saying. In your specific case with your concerns a supercharger kit sounds like a MUCH better option for what you're trying to do.

Maintain all factory emissions and 02 placement, make reliable power, have a decent powerband. It all adds up.

Look at @CounterSpace Garage and their greddy equipped car. Just another example. Tap in to the resources around you and take off the blinders, lol. If it's what you really want and it meets your needs, great!! It just sounds like you're rushing in to a decision without due diligence.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (02-16-2019), Tcoat (02-15-2019), zac8 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #21
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tuning is far more important than low numbers for a turbo kit. The WORKS kit is a big compromise to retain CARB certified capable packaging. Do you want a turbo kit that is a compromise right out of the gate?

JDL meets your needs better. WORKS is for people who need to retain the factory header for classing restrictions, or need CARB compliance. https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...urbo-kit-v2-1/
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #22
zac8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Tuning is far more important than low numbers for a turbo kit. The WORKS kit is a big compromise to retain CARB certified capable packaging. Do you want a turbo kit that is a compromise right out of the gate?

JDL meets your needs better. WORKS is for people who need to retain the factory header for classing restrictions, or need CARB compliance. https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...urbo-kit-v2-1/
will look into JDL. I am new at this, so I do not know how the kit is compromised. In what ways is it 'inferior'?
Old 02-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #23
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I just did a JRSC C30 Kit on my tS. I have flex fuel as well, but flex fuel is totally unnecessary for what you are looking for. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. Plenty of streetable and trackable power. The car revs high, and wants to be revved high, so sure, there is more power there, but it still has plenty of grunt down low.

The JRSC is proven reliable, simple, light, and won’t interfere with your emissions at all! I understand your brother has installed turbo kits, but this will be a simpler install that the Works Turbo Kit, so he shouldn’t have an trouble with it.

With that said, and I’m biased towards PTuning because they do all my work and are down the road from me, but their turbo kit is easier the best out there. There’s a used 1 on sale on the forums right now, for about $3800. Granted it’ll make more power, but it’s definitely the most comprehensive set up turbo-wise.

I ran through all of this to find the best kit for my tS and settled on the JRSC, and powder coated the piping red to match. I highly recommend!
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
zac8 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #24
zac8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
I just did a JRSC C30 Kit on my tS. I have flex fuel as well, but flex fuel is totally unnecessary for what you are looking for. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. Plenty of streetable and trackable power. The car revs high, and wants to be revved high, so sure, there is more power there, but it still has plenty of grunt down low.

The JRSC is proven reliable, simple, light, and won’t interfere with your emissions at all! I understand your brother has installed turbo kits, but this will be a simpler install that the Works Turbo Kit, so he shouldn’t have an trouble with it.

With that said, and I’m biased towards PTuning because they do all my work and are down the road from me, but their turbo kit is easier the best out there. There’s a used 1 on sale on the forums right now, for about $3800. Granted it’ll make more power, but it’s definitely the most comprehensive set up turbo-wise.

I ran through all of this to find the best kit for my tS and settled on the JRSC, and powder coated the piping red to match. I highly recommend!
Appreciate the feedback! Mind if I ask what your SC kit cost you? Seems like thats becoming more of a possibility as time goes on... oh, and how does it sound?
Old 02-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #25
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Appreciate the feedback! Mind if I ask what your SC kit cost you? Seems like thats becoming more of a possibility as time goes on... oh, and how does it sound?
The JRSC C30 Kit was just about $4,000. I also chose to purchase the JR Track Oiler (the SC version), as I do lightly track the car and wanted to keep temps down. Not required, especially because it looks like you are up in Rhode Island, it's not terribly hot all the time. If you want the kit was a CARB Tune, that'll run you an extra $1,000, but it includes am Ecutek Programming Kit (Cable/Dongle), Ecutek License, and the tune. Since you'll be running, at least it sounds like, the stock header and front pipe w/ original cats, the CARB tune should work just fine for you and will definitely simplify the process for you, and I've heard their tune runs really well -- actually may have been done by Delicious Tuning (someone please confirm that!)

Sounds awesome, you definitely get a lot of intake noise, even at idle, and a pretty cool sound out of the rotrek as it revs out. I also chose to upgrade the BPV with a Forge BPV (the stock one works, but has had a history of failing - not a huge deal and the Forge was pretty cheap), so it has a cool "whoosh" sound when coming off the throttle similar to the BOV.

With the JR kit w/o e85 or the high boost pulley, you'll be fine on the stock injectors, fuel pump, and clutch as well.

Others have mentioned the Edelbrock Kit, and I was very close to that kit as well, but the warranty wouldn't have applied to me since I already did a full exhaust and couldn't run their tune. The one big perk of the Edelbrock Kit is that it comes with a 3 year/36K mile powertrain warranty ONLY IF you use their stock CARB tune that also requires you to maintain the stock header/front pipe/and cats. Downside, I heard the stock tune doesn't run so great - so there is that, and its most expensive. Just wanted to put it all out on the table for you! Glad to see another Black tS getting boosted!!
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
zac8 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #26
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,113 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
If you really like the corsa sound, I'd suggest a SC kit to retain the factory exhaust. I would be interested to hear a corsa on a turbo car, as it would most definitely sound different. Corsa doesn't use conventional methods when tuning sound in the exhaust, as such it relies on the factory header/front pipe to cancel drone, and keep noise levels in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuang View Post
Love my Corsa! Especially the black tips.

It does pop from time to time on the overrun. I wouldn't do a header since it makes the exhaust brutally loud, adds rasp, and defeats the no-drone RSC technology.

I love the black tips, But couldn't justify the extra cost for me in canada. It was already $1500CAD for the regular version :O
It pops all of the time on overrun In -20c temps. I have the back seats down most of the time just to hear it burble and pop.

As far as headers go, the only one I've heard that works is the FT86SF catted UEL, without ruining all of corsa's R&D. It has more equal length runners compared to most UEL's on the market, and the cat keeps the noise levels in check.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
zac8 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #27
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
If it is turbo that you want for sure, Greddy T518Z kit is the one I would choose for the power level you mentioned. Otherwise, JRSC was my choice. And I would choose it again after two years and more than 20K miles.

For the turbo though, I would budget header wrap or ceramic coating plus oil cooler. And the tune, yes the tune, the best tune. Don't even think saving money on tune. The beauty of JRSC is that it is a total package including a very good tune from the factory. Just install and drive.

I would wait for the catback. I recommend making sure the FI is done and working reliably first. Then you can check the sound and decide on the catback later.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
J1Avs (02-15-2019), zac8 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #28
zac8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
If it is turbo that you want for sure, Greddy T518Z kit is the one I would choose for the power level you mentioned. Otherwise, JRSC was my choice. And I would choose it again after two years and more than 20K miles.

For the turbo though, I would budget header wrap or ceramic coating plus oil cooler. And the tune, yes the tune, the best tune. Don't even think saving money on tune. The beauty of JRSC is that it is a total package including a very good tune from the factory. Just install and drive.

I would wait for the catback. I recommend making sure the FI is done and working reliably first. Then you can check the sound and decide on the catback later.
starting to lean heavily towards the JRSC c30 kit with their tune. seeing as installing a catback will make the most sense with how the SC works. Need to call them soon. When does the boost start to build on the JRSC c30 kit?