follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Depinning ECM Plugs

I'm in the process of trying to remove the wires that run from the AC1 plug in the engine bay (runs FA20 motor ) to the PCM. I'd like to just de-pin them from the PCM and clip the wires on either side of the firewall.

OK,,, I watched a couple of YouTube videos,,, looked at the plugs Colin sent so I think I understand how to de-pin the PCM plugs. Executing it is another matter. I've totally screwed up two already.

I lift the 'gate' on the top of the plug. It doesn't move much though. Then insert a pick and do a top down kind of motion while pulling on the wire. No good.

What's the trick??? How far in should the pick go??? HELP!

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Usually, a de-pinning tool is a cylinder that fits around the pin snugly and depresses the lock tab.
Then you can pull the pin out the back.
Sort of like a ring compressor to get a set of pistons into a cylinder bore.

Using a pick can mess up the plastic connector if you're not careful.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
gtpvette

I wish it was like those but Toyota has a different way of doing it. There are two holes for each pin. One for the pin, one for the tool. It looks like there's a small plastic barb that locks the pin in place. The tool should depress the barb and release the pin. At least that's what it looks like.

I've try a dental pick,, paper clip that I massaged in the grinder, an 1/8 pop rivit again massaged in the grinder. I'm at a loss. Looks like there are some 'tools' available on ebay,, may need to try those.

These guys make it look easy.....

[ame]http://youtu.be/fg1xHMIDcy4[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/JPGDVfl7wJY[/ame]

Last edited by gtpvette; 02-03-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
gtpvette

Screw it. I chased all of the wires left over from the FA20 yesterday in the engine compartment. Basically the AC1 plug, everything left goes to the PCM (46 wires), Injector driver to the PCM (8 wires) and the park neutral safety switch (2 wires).

The thought is to clip them short and shrink wrap the ends less the 5 ground wires in the AC1 plug as I'll ground these. Hide behind the battery,, call it good.

Any thoughts from you that've done it??

Old 02-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
Merc

Drives: Subaru brz 2013 LS1 swap
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to jump in without much to add but I am also to that point of frustration and about to just start cutting and heat shrink what's left. Seems to be the easiest route.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #6
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Sorry to jump in without much to add but I am also to that point of frustration and about to just start cutting and heat shrink what's left. Seems to be the easiest route.
I pulled that plastic tab up (not too far just enough), and was able to release with a very small jeweler's screwdriver. On some wires that I knew were no longer going to be used, (after getting that tab up) i was able to pull the wires and pins out with needle nose pliers.
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
gtpvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Glad it's not just me,,, dam they made this harder than it needs to be. I guess in the end if it works and looks OK all is well. Just wish I could get rid of what's not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitsnaugle View Post
I pulled that plastic tab up (not too far just enough), and was able to release with a very small jeweler's screwdriver. On some wires that I knew were no longer going to be used, (after getting that tab up) i was able to pull the wires and pins out with needle nose pliers.
Really??? Did you do all of the AC1 wires?? It's funny,,, I too one of the pins in Colin's device and plugged it in the open connector he supplies just to try it there. Hell it's not even in the car and I cant get it out.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post
Just wish I could get rid of what's not needed.

Really??? Did you do all of the AC1 wires?? It's funny,,, I too one of the pins in Colin's device and plugged it in the open connector he supplies just to try it there. Hell it's not even in the car and I cant get it out.
Yes. I cut the entire AC1 plug and removed ALL of the AC1 wires, pulled out of the harness, traced back and depinned and at the ECU.

The only original wires I have running to the LS engine is the alternator/batterr, starter trigger, Reverse trigger too, but none of those were in the AC1 plug.

Stand alone harness from wiringspecialities, PSI, speartech made the install super easy.

Everything in my hand got chopped:
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitsnaugle For This Useful Post:
gtpvette (02-06-2019)