follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 12-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #4761
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
Have you considered looking into some track day fun instead, or to supplement autox? Midwest 86 Cup is starting its second season in 2019, and with the recent announcement of NATA we are hopeful that we can get a fairly diverse schedule for 2019. It offers another place to play with your BRZ, where it can be competitive in every class!

www.midwest86cup.com
www.facebook.com/groups/midwest86cup/

Sorry to derail from CS talk, but wanted to throw this out there as I know a lot of Twin owners haven't been all that thrilled with where the platform has gone in autox classing.
This is a cool option, too. I did one with the Norcal 86cup this past weekend and it was pretty fun, it's a great way to play with the car in lower prep levels.

SoCal rules throw a lightly prepped STX car into unlimited, though.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #4762
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_r View Post
This is a cool option, too. I did one with the Norcal 86cup this past weekend and it was pretty fun, it's a great way to play with the car in lower prep levels.

SoCal rules throw a lightly prepped STX car into unlimited, though.
We use the same points calculator as SoCal, although we are open to adjusting in the future. Yeah, it can be kinda tricky when bringing over an autox or HPDE prepped car. It doesn't quite line up with SCCA TT either, but you could find a nice balance to run multiple events. It's more just a way to add another element of fun for those doing track days and TT/TA events.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #4763
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
We use the same points calculator as SoCal, although we are open to adjusting in the future. Yeah, it can be kinda tricky when bringing over an autox or HPDE prepped car. It doesn't quite line up with SCCA TT either, but you could find a nice balance to run multiple events. It's more just a way to add another element of fun for those doing track days and TT/TA events.
For sure - the system heavily weighs GT Radials (or other 220+ treadwear) so it makes sense.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #4764
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_r View Post
For sure - the system heavily weighs GT Radials (or other 220+ treadwear) so it makes sense.
Yeah. To really simplify the class points structure it essentially goes:

Stock: Camber bolts, pick wheels and tires, oil cooler, and pads & fluid. (you can get more creative in this class, and do a surprising amount if you take advantage of tires. But most people seem to be close to fully stock)
Street: power, grip, aero (Pick 1)
Modified: power, grip, aero (Pick 2)
Unlimited: Go nuts with all three
Old 12-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #4765
Roadphantom

Drives: FR-S - STX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Been there, done that, got denied... perhaps referencing the RX-8 is what kept the TRD and RX-8 in CS. Below is the letter I submitted last spring/summer.
Thanks for the notice. Did they provide any other reason other than "we think the TRD is currently appropriately classed"? What makes the SEB consider a proposal? If I submit a second letter, would it help by showing that there is more support for this move?
Roadphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #4766
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadphantom View Post
Thanks for the notice. Did they provide any other reason other than "we think the TRD is currently appropriately classed"? What makes the SEB consider a proposal? If I submit a second letter, would it help by showing that there is more support for this move?
I think it was the usual "Thank you for your input."

I was always told that it is always good to submit a letter to at least document what people are seeing/thinking/wanting. I'm pretty happy that my letter from over a year ago to move non-turbo E90 BMWs to GS is a real possibility for 2020. I can barely keep track of all the moves/changes in Street which is why I hope to co-drive other cars this season at the big events.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #4767
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
I really don't think that move makes sense for anyone other than people that want to run DS in a twin.

The twins have SSC and STX. It is probably with the RX8 as the cars to have in CS outside of the ND. There seems to be a real push to get diversity in DS and they probably don't want to risk the twins being perceived as the car to have in another class.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #4768
Roadphantom

Drives: FR-S - STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
I really don't think that move makes sense for anyone other than people that want to run DS in a twin.

The twins have SSC and STX. It is probably with the RX8 as the cars to have in CS outside of the ND. There seems to be a real push to get diversity in DS and they probably don't want to risk the twins being perceived as the car to have in another class.
I understand the situation is difficult with SSC and STX, I didn't think the twin would be a car to have in DS if the TRD went in, but I was thinking of giving it a little life so it becomes more like the ND1 vs ND2 in CS, but not the top dog. At this time, there simply is no good place for a street class twin. The diversity could be more interesting that way too, but I don't see an ex CS car being the top car against ex BS cars.
Roadphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:55 PM   #4769
cirros

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Hello, I have a question regarding BRZ with the Brembo calipers.

I got a set of BBS RG-R wheels with 17x7.5", +48mm offset, 56.1mm center bore specs with the hope of running them for CS next year. When I rest it on the front hub, the spokes touch the brake caliper with about 3mm more to go.

I was looking into the market for 7mm wheel spacers for maximum clearance. The problem I see is that the car's wheel hub centric lips are about 7mm as well, making the hub + spacer combination to make a flush hub face for the wheel. I do plan on adding extended wheel studs to help reinforce each corners, but it cannot be an ideal way still.

Has anyone used such a combination before?
Also, are there any aftermarket wheel hub that could have longer hub lips?

Thank you very much in advance for your inputs!
cirros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #4770
steverife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirros View Post
Hello, I have a question regarding BRZ with the Brembo calipers.

I got a set of BBS RG-R wheels with 17x7.5", +48mm offset, 56.1mm center bore specs with the hope of running them for CS next year. When I rest it on the front hub, the spokes touch the brake caliper with about 3mm more to go.

I was looking into the market for 7mm wheel spacers for maximum clearance. The problem I see is that the car's wheel hub centric lips are about 7mm as well, making the hub + spacer combination to make a flush hub face for the wheel. I do plan on adding extended wheel studs to help reinforce each corners, but it cannot be an ideal way still.

Many spacers are hubcentric and have that lip.

Also, while I can't recall ever running a set up without a lip on the hub, I've ran without the hubcentric rings (so the wheel is centered by torqueing your lugs properly) many times without any real kind of vibrations or issues.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #4771
steverife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadphantom View Post
I understand the situation is difficult with SSC and STX, I didn't think the twin would be a car to have in DS if the TRD went in, but I was thinking of giving it a little life so it becomes more like the ND1 vs ND2 in CS, but not the top dog. At this time, there simply is no good place for a street class twin. The diversity could be more interesting that way too, but I don't see an ex CS car being the top car against ex BS cars.
Definitely write a letter, if that is what you want.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #4772
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirros View Post

I've been running spacers without centering features for almost three years now with ARP studs, no issues. Just be sure to snug the wheel up evenly and not to overtorque one lug.

https://949racing.com/Hub_Centering_Ring_FAQ.aspx

Recentish thread here
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128460
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #4773
cirros

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Thank you so much steverife and strat61caster for your insights!
cirros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:43 PM   #4774
conehead

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The hub lip is simply there to hold the wheel in place while you bolt it on. The conical lug nuts center the wheel and provide all of the support for it.
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote