follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Karl07

Drives: 2012 86 GTS - Storm Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quick question about exhaust install

I will be installing my header and catback today.
Just a question regarding the overpipe.
I know it's easiest to remove the heat shields first, but on the reinstallation of it (as I'm not replacing that yet) is it worthwhile to put the shields back on after? Or just leave them off?
Thanks.
Karl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
They are there to protect your engine mounts from the heat of the over pipe. It would be best if they went back on.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-27-2016), Karl07 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl07 View Post
I will be installing my header and catback today.
Just a question regarding the overpipe.
I know it's easiest to remove the heat shields first, but on the reinstallation of it (as I'm not replacing that yet) is it worthwhile to put the shields back on after? Or just leave them off?
Thanks.
you can leave them off but have a fire extinguisher ready

FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
Karl07 (12-27-2016), Toyarzee (12-28-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
loose two bolts on engine mounts then lift your engine 1inch and slide out over-pipe.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:48 AM   #5
Karl07

Garage
Ok...the rest of the install was pretty straight forward.
New gaskets all around.
Header fit perfectly.
Catback is on the hangers and fitted together.
However I have come to a pretty major issue...I'll try and explain it.

Header is attached to the engine. Overpipe is attached to the header. All shields are in place. Muffler is attached the hangers x4. Midpipe is attached the the Muffler and hanger x1.
Went to fit the frontpipe. Loosely bolted the frontpipe to the overpipe to take the weight.
Went to attach the other end to the Midpipe but it is nearly an inch away and cannot reach.
Also the hanger for the front pipe doesn't line up either.
Everything is bolted down and nothing has been missed. I followed the DIY and I have installed exhaust systems before.
I have noticed that the LHS tip of the Muffler is protruding out further from the rear bumper than the RHS. Again, I can't possibly have stuffed this up as its in the factory hangers.

Help?
Old 12-28-2016, 02:25 AM   #6
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ok...the rest of the install was pretty straight forward.
New gaskets all around.
Header fit perfectly.
Catback is on the hangers and fitted together.
However I have come to a pretty major issue...I'll try and explain it.

Header is attached to the engine. Overpipe is attached to the header. All shields are in place. Muffler is attached the hangers x4. Midpipe is attached the the Muffler and hanger x1.
Went to fit the frontpipe. Loosely bolted the frontpipe to the overpipe to take the weight.
Went to attach the other end to the Midpipe but it is nearly an inch away and cannot reach.
Also the hanger for the front pipe doesn't line up either.
Everything is bolted down and nothing has been missed. I followed the DIY and I have installed exhaust systems before.
I have noticed that the LHS tip of the Muffler is protruding out further from the rear bumper than the RHS. Again, I can't possibly have stuffed this up as its in the factory hangers.

Help?
What catback? I know mine was off like this but it has a slip joint that needs to be readjusted still. Got it bolted up with some help pulling but now it makes contact with the trans tunnel.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:41 AM   #7
Karl07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
What catback? I know mine was off like this but it has a slip joint that needs to be readjusted still. Got it bolted up with some help pulling but now it makes contact with the trans tunnel.
Amuse R1 Titan Extra
I can say for sure that the JDL header has the output at exactly the same position as the standard so it's not that.
Unfortunately I have no one to help me and it's on jack stands rather than a lift...might have to drive it to an exhaust shop to get them to pull it in.
I just can't get much more force under the car. And I don't want to force things too much.

Shouldn't be an issue driving it 5km I hope haha...just loud...
Old 12-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Amuse R1 Titan Extra
I can say for sure that the JDL header has the output at exactly the same position as the standard so it's not that.
Unfortunately I have no one to help me and it's on jack stands rather than a lift...might have to drive it to an exhaust shop to get them to pull it in.
I just can't get much more force under the car. And I don't want to force things too much.

Shouldn't be an issue driving it 5km I hope haha...just loud...
Does it work if you remove the middle hanger? It sort-of sounds like it's a design problem though. That's a lot of distance to try to make up.

My exhaust is a little uneven and I've been told that's because I need to rotate the midpipe... haven't tried fixing it. If yours does that when it's not attached to anything, it's probably a different cause.

You could always toss the stock setup on the car to drive to a shop, unless there's a flange difference (likely, now that I think about it). Compare the parts you're having trouble with against stock, at least.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #9
Karl07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Does it work if you remove the middle hanger? It sort-of sounds like it's a design problem though. That's a lot of distance to try to make up.

My exhaust is a little uneven and I've been told that's because I need to rotate the midpipe... haven't tried fixing it. If yours does that when it's not attached to anything, it's probably a different cause.

You could always toss the stock setup on the car to drive to a shop, unless there's a flange difference (likely, now that I think about it). Compare the parts you're having trouble with against stock, at least.
Yeah the Amuse Midpipe is WAY shorter than the stock one.
But the Amuse muffler is longer....not sure if it's that much longer...
It just came off of a car though so it must

I'm just going to get a shop to look. If they have to they can modify the stock front pipe. Just can't touch the Amuse.

I will be pretty time poor this morning so I can't really get the stock back on for now...surely it won't be bad for the car if I done 5km with the exhaust disconnected at the front pipe right?
Old 12-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I will be pretty time poor this morning so I can't really get the stock back on for now...surely it won't be bad for the car if I done 5km with the exhaust disconnected at the front pipe right?
Wear ear plugs and be very attentive to exhaust fumes in the car - especially if you're not constantly moving, it could be bad.

Stay safe. Heck, even if you leave the midpipe connected you'd be better off...

C
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #11
Karl07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Wear ear plugs and be very attentive to exhaust fumes in the car - especially if you're not constantly moving, it could be bad.

Stay safe. Heck, even if you leave the midpipe connected you'd be better off...

C
I left the muffler and midpipe attached on there but they did nothing as they were not connected to anything else.
Just removed the front pipe again so the only things attached was the header and overpipe. No cats. No resonators.
It was loud. But tbh it was a guilty pleasure to hear the raw sound from the UEL.
Especially when I had a beautiful old Mustang idling next to me at the lights and mine was louder hahaha.

All sorted anyway. Annoyingly, as soon as we had it on the left I went to fit it to show the guy what was happening and it fit perfectly. Yet all my strength couldn't align it onow the ground.
I can just assume the drive with the exhaust in two sections vibrated and shocked then back into exactly where they needed to be...
They guys at the shop laughed and let me finish up the final reinstall of all the covers etc you on the lift...and thankfully didn't charge.

Sounds awesome. Far better than any youtube video I have heard.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karl07 For This Useful Post:
cjd (12-29-2016), finch1750 (12-29-2016), zc06_kisstherain (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
gregman

Drives: Boner Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
you can leave them off but have a fire extinguisher ready

damn that car is hot yo.
lol
gregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #13
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
I left the muffler and midpipe attached on there but they did nothing as they were not connected to anything else.
Just removed the front pipe again so the only things attached was the header and overpipe. No cats. No resonators.
It was loud. But tbh it was a guilty pleasure to hear the raw sound from the UEL.
Especially when I had a beautiful old Mustang idling next to me at the lights and mine was louder hahaha.

All sorted anyway. Annoyingly, as soon as we had it on the left I went to fit it to show the guy what was happening and it fit perfectly. Yet all my strength couldn't align it onow the ground.
I can just assume the drive with the exhaust in two sections vibrated and shocked then back into exactly where they needed to be...
They guys at the shop laughed and let me finish up the final reinstall of all the covers etc you on the lift...and thankfully didn't charge.

Sounds awesome. Far better than any youtube video I have heard.
Wonder how much it has to do with a level surface? I always swapped in other driveways cuz mine is kinda wonky so doubt the car was straight. Is yours (or wherever you did the initial install) pretty level?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:15 AM   #14
Karl07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Wonder how much it has to do with a level surface? I always swapped in other driveways cuz mine is kinda wonky so doubt the car was straight. Is yours (or wherever you did the initial install) pretty level?
It is very level....the whole floor is on the same angle haha.
I dropped a socket and next time I looked it was at the other end of the car...so what you say is possible...
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl07 For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (12-30-2016)