follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #29
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Here is a review from a magazine which mentions it almost right:

http://www.autosavant.com/2012/02/11...brz-ra-models/

"... the electronic limited slip diffrential which is replaced with a cheaper and lighter mechanically driven variant ... "
That is the first time I've ever seen anything saying the FR-S/BRZ/GT86 had an electronic diff...
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #30
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
I wish it had manual windows, but that would be a no-go without the frame.
Why? My 1970 Chevelle had crank windows without a frame. Had rear side windows with no frame too. The two windows sealed to one another. If they could do it then, why not now
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twag4 For This Useful Post:
roddy (06-09-2015), rucfj159 (06-09-2015), Tcoat (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #31
rucfj159

Drives: 15frs 89volvo765&780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
i love me a good lsd
rucfj159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #32
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Drives: '13 BRZ, 82 starlet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Why? My 1970 Chevelle had crank windows without a frame. Had rear side windows with no frame too. The two windows sealed to one another. If they could do it then, why not now
as did my both of my AW11's, and my '74 celica...
Sammakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:57 PM   #33
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
That is the first time I've ever seen anything saying the FR-S/BRZ/GT86 had an electronic diff...

It means LSD together with the VDC. There is often a confusion. For example, clutch-type LSD is often referred as mechanical although Torsen is also a mechanical LSD.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #34
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
It means LSD together with the VDC. There is often a confusion. For example, clutch-type LSD is often referred as mechanical although Torsen is also a mechanical LSD.
Does the VDC even interact with the LSD at all? I thought it mostly interacts with braking? Pretty much everything I've ever heard about this car is that there are just 2 models..... Torsen LSD (like on the S2000, S15, etc.... pretty much every other modern sports car with an LSD from the factory) and an Open Differential on the RC stripper model. That's it... Are you saying there is another model?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #35
nikitopo

Quote:
Pretty much everything I've ever heard about this car is that there are just 2 models..... Torsen LSD (like on the S2000, S15, etc.... pretty much every other modern sports car with an LSD from the factory) and an Open Differential on the RC stripper model. That's it... Are you saying there is another model?
That's what I'm trying to clear out. There was never a model with an open differential. The stripped down car offered a simple clutch-type differential. It is the same differential that is used in Lexus IS250 and it is usually referred as Semi-LSD. It is a simple implementation of a clutch type differential based on a spring (blue in picture):

Racing based clutch-type diffs use a more advanced locking mechanism.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #36
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
That's what I'm trying to clear out. There was never a model with an open differential. The stripped down car offered a simple clutch-type differential. It is the same differential that is used in Lexus IS250 and it is usually referred as Semi-LSD. It is a simple implementation of a clutch type differential based on a spring (blue in picture):

Racing based clutch-type diffs use a more advanced locking mechanism.
Interesting. Have never seen that before. I assume it's just a cheaper alternative that sits in between a viscous LSD and a Torsen in terms of effectiveness?
Old 06-13-2015, 12:20 AM   #37
nikitopo

Quote:
Interesting. Have never seen that before. I assume it's just a cheaper alternative that sits in between a viscous LSD and a Torsen in terms of effectiveness?
There are two types of clutch types LSDs. The first is the one I mentioned with the preload mechanism and the other is the pressure ring based. You can see the differences here:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeLm7wHvdxQ"]Understanding Limited Slip Differential - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEdnH7_7_yc"]Working of Limited Slip Differential - YouTube[/ame]

The pressure ring is more advanced because it gives you the option to choose between 1-way, 1.5 way or 2-way lock mechanisms and the locking force is bigger if for example we accelerate.

Overall, I wouldn't say that clutch types LSDs are in between of viscous and Torsen LSDs. Most of the racing teams use clutch type LSDs. I would say that the factory chose the Torsen LSD because of its limited maintenance cycle. Differentials are expensive to maintain and change and you cannot sell a mass production car with the clutch-based differential. An exception was made with the RC/RA models, but these count with less than 5% of the overall sales of the model.

Last edited by nikitopo; 06-13-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:22 AM   #38
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
All fr-s have lsd.

Only ones who dont are in overseas market in Asia.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #39
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
There are two types of clutch types LSDs. The first is the one I mentioned with the preload mechanism and the other is the pressure ring based. You can see the differences here:

The pressure ring is more advanced because it gives you the option to choose between 1-way, 1.5 way or 2-way lock mechanisms and the locking force is bigger if for example we accelerate.

Overall, I wouldn't say that clutch types LSDs are in between of viscous and Torsen LSDs. Most of the racing teams use clutch type LSDs. I would say that the factory chose the Torsen LSD because of its limited maintenance cycle. Differentials are expensive to maintain and change and you cannot sell a mass production car with the clutch-based differential. An exception was made with the RC/RA models, but these count with less than 5% of the overall sales of the model.
I didn't mean all clutch-type LSDs, just those. It seems an odd choice considering they know most people buying the RC/RA models are going to buy a pressure ring based 1.5 or 2 way LSD. I guess they just decided to throw it in as an option instead of forcing a mandatory immediate LSD purchase like if they had included an open diff (although most buyers are going to do it anyway).

Last edited by Sideways&Smiling; 06-13-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #40
acro

Drives: GT-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
All fr-s have lsd.

Only ones who dont are in overseas market in Asia.
Not only Asia but other markets as well. The earlier base automatic models in some areas had no lsd (that I know for sure). Iv heard that base manual versions also didn't have a lsd
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #41
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acro View Post
Not only Asia but other markets as well. The earlier base automatic models in some areas had no lsd (that I know for sure). Iv heard that base manual versions also didn't have a lsd
Too bad if you missed the base manual version. This was the RC/RA model with minimal changes. In all the countries in Europe it was promoted as basic version, but it was the actual racing version. Unfortunately, you can buy it now only used. It was discontinued some months ago.

In general, there were some misconceptions about the base car. One thing was that it had open diff which is wrong. Only truth was that it didn't have a Torsen LSD. Another thing was that it had smaller brakes, but only few were aware that its brakes had bigger pistons. There were also other details like the absence of a floor silencer, of a trunk mat, of a car stereo and even an air-condition was an option. There were a lot of small details and decisions while the factory was trying to reduce the car's weight. You can find more here.

Anyway, too many things and we are getting a bit off topic.

Last edited by nikitopo; 06-15-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #42
nikitopo

Quote:
I didn't mean all clutch-type LSDs, just those. It seems an odd choice considering they know most people buying the RC/RA models are going to buy a pressure ring based 1.5 or 2 way LSD. I guess they just decided to throw it in as an option instead of forcing a mandatory immediate LSD purchase like if they had included an open diff (although most buyers are going to do it anyway).
It seems that you want to underestimate this type of LSD. Pressure ring based LSDs are good at acceleration or deccelation situations, but they don't lock on a constant speed. So, they won't lock until you reach the apex and after this point will start to lock progressively. On the contrary, a pre-loaded type LSD works differently. It will have a much weaker lock, but a stable one in the complete part of the corner. So, I would say that it is more a matter of choice and on driving style. Besides, our cars are not super strong on power. Higher cornerning speed is more important than hard decelerations and accelerations.

Last edited by nikitopo; 06-15-2015 at 12:39 PM.