follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #351
drz400dude

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnthen View Post
If you have access to e85 nearby, I would add the necessary parts and get a custom tune. I believe works recommends injectors, fuel pump with the flex fuel kit. That's the route I took and couldn't be happier. The other option I was toying with was headers with a custom tune, but I found the gains with e85 to be similar with headers and 91. The torque dip is still there in the dyno but I honestly don't feel it. And when I go to get it smogged, its much easier to remove or hide the flex fuel kit than headers. My other car just failed smog on the visual check b/c of headers and it had passed in previous years.
I checked a while back, and the nearest e85 is about an hour away

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
drz400dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #352
Not_so_Breit

Drives: 2015 Subaru Brz Crystal White Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
4 months with the kit as a daily driver. I had 2 minor issues.
I had an oil leak due to a faulty banjo fitting that works promptly fixed at no charge. It was something new they were trying and did tell me to keep an eye on it which I did. The fix was to use a different fitting. I believe all new kits will have the new fitting.

The other issue I had was mostly my fault. I live on a hill and have to be on boost as I come home. I wasn't letting the turbo cool properly so a hose had kinked up and caused oil to enter the exhaust. I had smoke coming out pretty noticeably. Again a short trip up to works and they fixed the kink and put a clamp around the spot it had kinked up. That fix combined with me always letting the turbo cool 2 minutes before I turn off the car and I've been issue free.

I've been running e85 most of the time and I couldn't be happier. Merging onto the fwy is a breeze. Passing cars is no longer an issue. I haven't been to the track yet. I need to put in an oil cooler before I do that. Since my car is an AT, I have limited options. The turbo spools quick and most of the time, I have to let off the throttle b/c I'm going way to fast for public roads.

That was awesome man thank you so much. How much power are you currently running?
Not_so_Breit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #353
jawnthen

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_so_Breit View Post
That was awesome man thank you so much. How much power are you currently running?
On E65, I hit 267 whp / 220 tq with my baseline at 134 whp / 124 tq completely stock.

Check out post #335 for a pic of the dyno.

After enough consistent fuel ups at propel, I've been able to maintain E75-80. Now I keep hitting some kind of limiter in gears 1 and 2 if I floor it. Not sure if its the rev limiter or some safety net in the tune. I had also added a catback a few months after the turbo. It was just so quiet for the power it was making.

To answer your other question, yes you hear the turbo inside the cabin at idle. Once you get on it you can faintly hear it spool but if you want the whoosh, add the BOV.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
jawnthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #354
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The other issue I had was mostly my fault. I live on a hill and have to be on boost as I come home. I wasn't letting the turbo cool properly so a hose had kinked up and caused oil to enter the exhaust. I had smoke coming out pretty noticeably. Again a short trip up to works and they fixed the kink and put a clamp around the spot it had kinked up. That fix combined with me always letting the turbo cool 2 minutes before I turn off the car and I've been issue free.
That is clearly a problem with the kit; it is not your fault. Cooling the turbo for two minutes before turning off is not acceptable.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #355
drz400dude

Garage
I just got my stage 2 kit installed on my 13 frs. Now after about 5 minutes it starts making a horrible knocking noise. Almost like a tractor. Has anyone else had this issue or know what it may be? Here's the link to the original post with video of the sound. Watch the second video so you can hear it transition from normal to the loud knocking.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119360

The Following User Says Thank You to drz400dude For This Useful Post:
Yoda (06-11-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #356
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,455 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz400dude View Post
I just got my stage 2 kit installed on my 13 frs. Now after about 5 minutes it starts making a horrible knocking noise. Almost like a tractor. Has anyone else had this issue or know what it may be? Here's the link to the original post with video of the sound. Watch the second video so you can hear it transition from normal to the loud knocking.

100% normal. My 100% stock BRZ did that and it did it with a header & tune too. It's the DI pump tapping away

When the requested load changes for the DI system it changes the noise coming from the DI pump, I never bothered logging to see if it was more or less DI % that made the noise.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
WORKS (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #357
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz400dude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
100% normal. My 100% stock BRZ did that and it did it with a header & tune too. It's the DI pump tapping away

When the requested load changes for the DI system it changes the noise coming from the DI pump, I never bothered logging to see if it was more or less DI % that made the noise.
Agreed, sounds like the normal operating sounds from the PI/DI system.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #358
drz400dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WORKS View Post
Agreed, sounds like the normal operating sounds from the PI/DI system.
Awesome. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to drz400dude For This Useful Post:
WORKS (06-12-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:50 AM   #359
gt86yasss

Drives: White 86
I'm thinking about boosting my 86 and have some questions about the Stage 2 turbo kit. First, will this kit be CARB legal for the 2017 86? Other than oil cooler, is there any support mod that you would recommend to help on the high temp in SoCAL? I have a Gruppes unequal headers, will it be able use it with the kit? Is there warranty on the kit and do you have a recommended tuner in SoCAL who is familiar with this kit? Any chance you guys are running any sponsorship or July 4th sale for this turbo kit? Thanks.
gt86yasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #360
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt86yasss View Post
I'm thinking about boosting my 86 and have some questions about the Stage 2 turbo kit. First, will this kit be CARB legal for the 2017 86? Other than oil cooler, is there any support mod that you would recommend to help on the high temp in SoCAL? I have a Gruppes unequal headers, will it be able use it with the kit? Is there warranty on the kit and do you have a recommended tuner in SoCAL who is familiar with this kit? Any chance you guys are running any sponsorship or July 4th sale for this turbo kit? Thanks.
@WORKS
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-04-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 04:13 AM   #361
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Been waiting to hear back from them too in regards to testing this kit on my 2017 to get the kit certified. This smog certification is the only thing me and a few other 2017 guys are waiting on. :-(
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #362
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonBomb View Post
Been waiting to hear back from them too in regards to testing this kit on my 2017 to get the kit certified. This smog certification is the only thing me and a few other 2017 guys are waiting on. :-(
Have you called them yet? I've always found them pretty responsive. They may be away racing, exhibiting, or competing somewhere.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #363
sirbobbinhood

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Something to keep in mind, if you put a header on the car and get a tune that's not the official CARB tune it's no longer CARB legal. So if you put the header on the car the CARB part of it isn't very relevant anymore.
sirbobbinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirbobbinhood For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (07-05-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #364
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry about the late response, We have not yet gotten the CARB approval for the 2017's. There are a few reasons that I will not get into. We are looking to bring in a 2017 for some R&D and we will be starting the CARB process then. If any other questions pop up feel free to give us a call.
WORKS is offline   Reply With Quote