follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Lawnik

Drives: Flat grey Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Misfire when cold

Looking for ideas. I have a recurring cylinder specific misfire code P0303, but it really only occurs when cold. I've swapped coils and changed the plug, plus I've searched for intake leaks and nothing has eliminated it yet.

40,000 km
Innovate supercharged with IC
Cusco oil cooler
Dual radium catch cans
2-3k on upgrades before first CEL, oil cooler only 100km prior

Prior to taking it in to the dealer I'd like to eliminate the likely causes. I find it odd that it only occurs, or at least persistently occurs when cold. When its cold I can almost notice the misfire like hesitation when it occurs but once warm it's perfect.

Also the CEL doesn't stay on, only blinks. It doesn't seem to pull any timing, just happens and goes away. Idles and starts great, and no odd noises.

I feel the characteristics eliminate many possibilities. Cylinder pressure, port and direct injector seals, general intake leak, plus I eliminated coil and spark.

Any thought?
Lawnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnik View Post
Looking for ideas. I have a recurring cylinder specific misfire code P0303, but it really only occurs when cold. I've swapped coils and changed the plug, plus I've searched for intake leaks and nothing has eliminated it yet.

40,000 km
Innovate supercharged with IC
Cusco oil cooler
Dual radium catch cans
2-3k on upgrades before first CEL, oil cooler only 100km prior

Prior to taking it in to the dealer I'd like to eliminate the likely causes. I find it odd that it only occurs, or at least persistently occurs when cold. When its cold I can almost notice the misfire like hesitation when it occurs but once warm it's perfect.

Also the CEL doesn't stay on, only blinks. It doesn't seem to pull any timing, just happens and goes away. Idles and starts great, and no odd noises.

I feel the characteristics eliminate many possibilities. Cylinder pressure, port and direct injector seals, general intake leak, plus I eliminated coil and spark.

Any thought?
Do you have access to logging engine parameters ?

if so run log from startup logging normal stuff afr timing fuel trims and cylinder misfire counts ect might turn something up oor at leat isolate problem to a cylinder.

unfortunatly at startup and warmup heaps of offsets are applied untill coolant temp gets up and for cat warmup unless they have bn disabld in your tune so interpreting these logs can be difficult but misfire count per cylinder would be usefull, could be as simple as spark plugs
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnik View Post
Looking for ideas. I have a recurring cylinder specific misfire code P0303, but it really only occurs when cold. .........
Any thought?
Maybe check the tune .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Lawnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Do you have access to logging engine parameters ?

if so run log from startup logging normal stuff afr timing fuel trims and cylinder misfire counts ect might turn something up oor at leat isolate problem to a cylinder.

unfortunatly at startup and warmup heaps of offsets are applied untill coolant temp gets up and for cat warmup unless they have bn disabld in your tune so interpreting these logs can be difficult but misfire count per cylinder would be usefull, could be as simple as spark plugs
Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't even notice I could log misfire count by cylinder. Logged this mornings drive, got 2 misfires one in #2 and the other in #3. No CEL. Both registered while warming up.

The #2 is interesting because I've only ever had P0303 which is specific to #3.

If it persists across multiple cylinders it may be a vacuum leak after all.

Will log more today...
Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Lawnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Maybe check the tune .....

humfrz
It's worth a try, once I've logged the current map ill try out another.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Lawnik For This Useful Post:
lc300 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Any update on this? I'm having the same issue.

What are "normal" misfire counts in a healthy engine/tune? Should I see 0 misfires all the time?
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote