follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
bdohazelnuts

Drives: Asphalt Grey FR-S (soon)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS vs...?

This thread really got me thinking and looking at the FR-S from a cost effectiveness standpoint.

My thoughts on it are this: Essentially, there is no car in the world, that outperforms the FR-S for the money... Period.

I look at it like this... The cost differential between the FR-S, and just about any new car, put into the FR-S, would have the FR-S soundly beating the other car.

Some of the characteristics of the FR-S just aren't matchable, particularly if the FR-S is heavily modified.

You can only get the center of gravity so low in other cars - to match the FR-S, most cars (due to engine layout, weight, etc) would have to be submarines, and sit below the concrete line.

Add that to the engine that the real potential of has only barely been scratched? And you have a car that, for the price, is a world-beater.
bdohazelnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Outperform is entirely depending on your metrics of interest. If we're talking subjective preferences, then it's even less tangible.

The only metric you mention is CoG, which is only one tiny facet of performance.

IMO, there are a few cars in the mid $20's on the market that can fit in the sporty category but each are a different solution. Which you choose depends on your preferences.
*Mazda MX-5 Miata
*Hyundai Genesis Coupe
*MINI Cooper S
*Fiat 500 Abarth
*VW GTI

Want a small simple coupe? Then the FR-S/BRZ is your choice. Want fuel efficient and carefree with a rorty exhaust note? The Abarth is a shoe-in. Looking for "more is better", the Gen Coupe is your ride. Want a telepathic convertible, then the Miata is perfect.

FR-S versus the world? Depends what you want, but I wouldn't say it unilaterally outperforms everything, even in its price category.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
..... that is why the 86/FRS/BRZ is almost second to none in term of pure balance and handling sport car for the look/weight/power/engineering/price class
what else do you want to throw in ?
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdohazelnuts View Post
This thread really got me thinking and looking at the FR-S from a cost effectiveness standpoint.

My thoughts on it are this: Essentially, there is no car in the world, that outperforms the FR-S for the money... Period.

I look at it like this... The cost differential between the FR-S, and just about any new car, put into the FR-S, would have the FR-S soundly beating the other car.

Some of the characteristics of the FR-S just aren't matchable, particularly if the FR-S is heavily modified.

You can only get the center of gravity so low in other cars - to match the FR-S, most cars (due to engine layout, weight, etc) would have to be submarines, and sit below the concrete line.

Add that to the engine that the real potential of has only barely been scratched? And you have a car that, for the price, is a world-beater.
either your math is off or your english is off.

the mazda2 (basically anything cheaper since sports cars are affected by diminishing returns) is a more cost effective option.

stock for stock or mod for mod, the mustang gt is both cheaper and faster. you can buy a brand new miata, supercharger, rollbar, and suspension for cheaper than a brz.

there are also many qualities of other cars that the frs cant match.

cog is a way overrated datapoint on this forum and somehow people always fail to note how far forward it is.

there is nothing world beating about this engine really.

all that being said, i really do think this car is good. it doesnt pretend to be anything that it isnt. they built a really good sports car.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
bdohazelnuts

Drives: Asphalt Grey FR-S (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
either your math is off or your english is off.

the mazda2 (basically anything cheaper since sports cars are affected by diminishing returns) is a more cost effective option.

stock for stock or mod for mod, the mustang gt is both cheaper and faster. you can buy a brand new miata, supercharger, rollbar, and suspension for cheaper than a brz.

there are also many qualities of other cars that the frs cant match.

cog is a way overrated datapoint on this forum and somehow people always fail to note how far forward it is.

there is nothing world beating about this engine really.

all that being said, i really do think this car is good. it doesnt pretend to be anything that it isnt. they built a really good sports car.
You can't buy a new Miata for that these days. The NC Miatas are too heavy and expensive. I drove two Miatas before my FR-S (NA NA, and a turbo NB), and the feel from the FR-S is better than either.

The engine is absolutely amazing. Given proper time to let the tuners and turbo geniuses work with it... The square bore/stroke, 180 degree layout, and heads that will handle over 9k, allow for this car to be ridiculous with the right turbo (3.8k to 9k powerband).

Mustangs? Really? GT is NOT cheaper. And spend the money in the difference between the two, and you have a turbo or supercharged FR-S, and the GT is then NOT faster.

Genesis coupe is a GT car, and too heavy comparatively (but still an awesome car)

Mazda 2 and Abarth both have power going to the wrong set of wheels.
bdohazelnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdohazelnuts View Post
You can't buy a new Miata for that these days. The NC Miatas are too heavy and expensive. I drove two Miatas before my FR-S (NA NA, and a turbo NB), and the feel from the FR-S is better than either.

The engine is absolutely amazing. Given proper time to let the tuners and turbo geniuses work with it... The square bore/stroke, 180 degree layout, and heads that will handle over 9k, allow for this car to be ridiculous with the right turbo (3.8k to 9k powerband).

Mustangs? Really? GT is NOT cheaper. And spend the money in the difference between the two, and you have a turbo or supercharged FR-S, and the GT is then NOT faster.

Genesis coupe is a GT car, and too heavy comparatively (but still an awesome car)

Mazda 2 and Abarth both have power going to the wrong set of wheels.
new miatas can be had at that price. thats why i wrote that. also, miatas may be heavy, but they are lighter than the frs by hundreds of pounds and they are not even the heaviest version of the miata.

the engine feels good but it is still only two liters and it is a pretty high compression engine. i dont think using an untapped and entirely arbitrary potential that we havent seen is a selling point. if things like that worked the lakers would be the best team in the league.

a mustang gt is cheaper at least half of the time. even if it wasnt, dollar for dollar, the mustang gt will run circles around the frs. i have no idea what you are talking about here.

i never mentioned the genesis but great.

wrong wheels or not, the mazda2 is a better perfromance for your dollar. you cant argue that.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Ugh. Here we go again. So many people in this forum are delusional. The BRZ/FRS is a HORRIBLE performance car. A cruddy base V6 mustang will spank the car around a track. Documented by Pobst.

Our cars are great sports cars with fantastic driving dynamics and feel, but they do not perform well.

Last edited by orthojoe; 02-08-2013 at 11:43 AM.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to orthojoe For This Useful Post:
Ryephile (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
performance.... such a subjective subject.

I just like driving it. I don't care how fast I'm actually going.
bdohazelnuts (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Mr. Man

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
If you want the best bang for your buck, build yourself a caterham. Starts at like 30k and you can put whatever powertrain you can cram in there
Mr. Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader View Post
...I just like driving it. I don't care how fast I'm actually going.
Fun, that's what sports cars are all about at their core.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryephile For This Useful Post:
bdohazelnuts (02-08-2013), YourFearlessLeader (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
cuddefred

Drives: Black 86 GT
+1. Sums it up perfectly

Quote:
performance.... such a subjective subject.

I just like driving it. I don't care how fast I'm actually going.
cuddefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
fatoni

performance isnt subjective. its purely objective. the frs is a very good sports car not because it performs well, but because it feels good doing it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
dori. (02-08-2013), orthojoe (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
performance isnt subjective. its purely objective. the frs is a very good sports car not because it performs well, but because it feels good doing it.
some people thinks it performs well, and some don't, thats all.

very difficult to argue that its fun to drive though
fatoni (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
DanoFA20
Shift Down

Drives: Toyota 86, Mazda RX7 RaceCar (FC3S)
Garage
Quote:
some people thinks it performs well, and some don't, thats all.

very difficult to argue that its fun to drive though
maybe its because the operator doesnt know what they are doing LAWL. idk ive driven a lot of different performance cars i find this one to be special and have a lot of soul and it does perform well. i just came out of an E36 M3 and it was heavily modded i find the FRS to be very great for cornering just like the M3 is. but thats just my outlook others are entitled to their opinion.
DanoFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DanoFA20 For This Useful Post:
bdohazelnuts (02-08-2013)