follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
fizzymike

Drives: 2014 Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Greddy Evo GT vs. Tomei Type 80

Hi Guys,

I was thinking about swapping exhausts to the Tomei Type 80. Currently I have the Greddy Evo GT but would like a single exit exhaust now. The deep tones of the 80 seems to be great. Whats your experience with either of these 2 exhausts? On the Greddy Evo GT there is a lip where the mid-pipe connects to the exhaust that hangs lower than I would like so I think I can get better clearance with the Tomei? I heard the Tomei springs rattle when cold also. Which would you prefer and why. Which have you owned.
fizzymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Do you currently have or are you planning on adding a header, over-pipe, and front pipe in the future? If so, the Tomei Type-80 will be very, very, loud - not as loud as a Tomei Type-60R, but still pretty damn loud.

If you're looking for a high-quality single exit exhaust that sounds good with a header, over-pipe, and front pipe and that remains livable, you may want to take a look at the Blitz Nür Spec R stainless steel exhaust. Alex from FR-Sport is active on the forum and was a big help for me when I bought mine - you can reach out to him via PM at @mav1178 and you can see the exhaust on their site here:

http://www.frsport.com/Blitz-MT3290-..._p_142265.html

Last edited by RJasonKlein; 02-13-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Corrected a typographical error.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
mav1178 (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzymike View Post
On the Greddy Evo GT there is a lip where the mid-pipe connects to the exhaust that hangs lower than I would like so I think I can get better clearance with the Tomei? I heard the Tomei springs rattle when cold also. Which would you prefer and why. Which have you owned.
The problem with the Tomei is that you have to twist the piping to get the fitment. Otherwise, I'd say that the Tomei 80R has the worst clearance of all the possible exhausts out there by virtue of the excessively large piping diameter.

The springs do rattle but the problem isn't the springs, it's the inner silencer. With it in, it sounds somewhat acceptable inside the car but stupid outside. And at idle it just sounds like a bad exhaust leak.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_VcwWjFf-4"]Exhaust note comparison - stock vs Tomei Expreme 80R - YouTube[/ame]

In the video you can hear the springs rattle as I let go of the throttle.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #4
thecarfilmer
IG: @nickwiththefrs

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Halo
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
consider the Greddy Revolution RS. a bit 2x cheaper than the type 80, assuming youre buying it new. Still has a 3" piping throughout the whole catback. No bolt hole to install a silencer if you need one though.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:09 AM   #5
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Slip ons like the Tomei 80 are prone to exhaust leaks. Also, like mentioned above the fitment is spotty... which can be another source for exhaust leaks as you try to move things around to fit. If you want a 3'' single exit have you tried looking at the HKS hi power?
tyler_win_photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
If you want to spend the money, you can also get Blitz Nur-Spec F-Ti 1-piece titanium catback.

10.85lbs.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
FWIW I have the HKS Hi-Power and I love it. I really wanted to get the Tomei for the longest time but i just got swayed away after hearing some peoples experiences with it. It doesn't look as good as the Tomei but it sounds amazing. Its fairly loud on my turbo setup (Dual resonated), people will hear you coming, its not obnoxious, its a nice mellow tone. It's also half the price and gives better clearance while also being 3" diameter
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
fizzymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
The problem with the Tomei is that you have to twist the piping to get the fitment. Otherwise, I'd say that the Tomei 80R has the worst clearance of all the possible exhausts out there by virtue of the excessively large piping diameter.

The springs do rattle but the problem isn't the springs, it's the inner silencer. With it in, it sounds somewhat acceptable inside the car but stupid outside. And at idle it just sounds like a bad exhaust leak.

In the video you can hear the springs rattle as I let go of the throttle.
Great advice from everyone. I didnt think about the exhaust leaks either. My greddy exhaust is also pretty loud since I have a catless front pipe.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
fizzymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
Do you currently have or are you planning on adding a header, over-pipe, and front pipe in the future? If so, the Tomei Type-80 will be very, very, loud - not as loud as a Tomei Type-60R, but still pretty damn loud.

If you're looking for a high-quality single exit exhaust that sounds good with a header, over-pipe, and front pipe and that remains livable, you may want to take a look at the Blitz Nür Spec R stainless steel exhaust. Alex from FR-Sport is active on the forum and was a big help for me when I bought mine - you can reach out to him via PM at @mav1178 and you can see the exhaust on their site here:

http://www.frsport.com/Blitz-MT3290-..._p_142265.html
I plan on adding a turbo kit fairly soon and with my catless front pipe I bet it would be crazy loud. From the videos I can hear that it sounds really deep which I like. I doubt it would be too much louder than my current exhaust.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
fizzymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
FWIW I have the HKS Hi-Power and I love it. I really wanted to get the Tomei for the longest time but i just got swayed away after hearing some peoples experiences with it. It doesn't look as good as the Tomei but it sounds amazing. Its fairly loud on my turbo setup (Dual resonated), people will hear you coming, its not obnoxious, its a nice mellow tone. It's also half the price and gives better clearance while also being 3" diameter
I like loud exhausts lol. On the ft86factory page it says its for mature drivers for a more quiet even tone. If I do a cold start now its crazy loud, straight awesome. Really I like the look of the Type 80 because I plan on cutting out the black part of the bumper and replacing it with a drift bar.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #11
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'll be honest, I recently had a tomei 80R with a tomei UEL and JDL 3 inch ultra quiet over front pipe with my supercharger setup. and HOLY SHIT. That thing was so loud... As much as I loved getting all the thumbs up from STi and WRX owners, I couldn't handle it with WOT.

it's funny that this thread exists.. I was contemplating the difference between the HKS hi power vs. the exhaust that OP currently has.

Anyone have any input with that? (tomei 80r vs. HKS Hi-power single exit vs. Greddy evo gt? )
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greddy evo gt, tomei 80 catback exhaust