follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #57
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenarc View Post
Some of you here say that the up charge between the premium and limited is around $1,000. That is horse sh**. I was at Subaru yesterday and the 2019's are going for

Premium : $25, 745
Limited : $29, 899
Series Grey : $31,010
Only one person said that, and it looks like he bought his car in 2014. I also bought my car in 2014, and the difference between Premium and Limited was running about $1500 at that time at my local dealers. I could easily see someone negotiating for a Premium back then and having the salesman say, "We could get you into a Limited for another thousand dollars."

OP asked about Limited trim showing up in the used market, which would mean the pricing in those prior years would be more important than the pricing today. The prices you see on the sales floor today would be irrelevant to that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
A friend of mine bought his 2017 series.yellow, which came with performance pack out the door for 26k. They couldn't get it off their lot, it takes a special person to buy these cars in some states.
A local dealer here got a Series.Yellow and didn't sell it for several months, but that was in part because it was an automatic. They had manual BRZs come in and go out within days, while that one sat on the lot looking pretty. It didn't help matters that they seemed to think it was a collector car and didn't want to deal on the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squelchy451 View Post
More options are desirable, but higher cost is not.

Doesn't anybody here pay for their cars?
Most people who buy new cars finance them. When financing, the tendency (trap) is to only really look at the monthly payment as the measure of whether the buyer can "afford" something.

The incremental difference in the monthly payment for the higher option package is small. Therefore it's easy for a salesman to upsell the higher package. With a car line like a Dodge that has many trim levels over a $30K range of different packages, the salesman's job is to keep bumping you up that ladder as far as he can get you to climb. With our cars it turns into more of a yes/no question. Only another few bucks per month? Then yes, Limited please.

I work in real estate. The new closing disclosure mandated by the idiots at Elizabeth Warren's CFPB rearranged everything so that it's next to impossible to understand what you're actually paying for, but the monthly loan payment is in big block letters right on the cover page. I figured home buyers would hate it, but instead it turns out they love it because they don't give a shit about what they're paying for various closing costs and taxes. All they care about is the big number in bold on the front. The lenders really won out big time with that mess.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #58
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post

Most people who buy new cars finance them. When financing, the tendency (trap) is to only really look at the monthly payment as the measure of whether the buyer can "afford" something.

This^^^^ So much this!
Old 08-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #59
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well first off we don't even really know how many new Limited's were sold vs Premiums. The OP has made an assumption based on a look at used car sales. Maybe there were actually far more Premiums sold but the owners are hanging onto them longer so they just don't show up in the used car market. This whole thread could be invalid since it is based on assumptions instead of real data. We don't have that data..
I'm with @Tcoat on this one, it could mean that it's the least popular model and everyone is dumping them because they hate them so much or feel the need to upgrade....

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:44 PM   #60
Skyehigh55

Drives: 2017 Pure Red BRZ w/ Perf Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Premium vs Limited argument is just convenience and comfort features... People like convenience and comfort, hence why fast food, Uber, delivery services and the likes are more prominent in our lives than ever. Comfort? People will easily pay more for better features and making them feel more upscale even if the car they're purchasing is a sports car.

Didn't even have to negotiate with my dealership. Just asked for an OTD price and I paid $25k in May 2018 on my 17' PP because the 18's were just coming out and they couldn't move it.

When I saw the blue tS in the showroom, it was tempting but after seeing that $33k price tag? Not so much. Told myself if I'm getting my own first car, it's gotta be the way I want it and red with PP was exactly it. Sadly the tS didn't come in Pure Red.... If anything, it's all in the timing. Some people got shafted by dealerships and some got good deals. My condolences for the people who paid MSRP for this car. Maybe on a tS because of it's exclusivity and loaded options but even dealerships are offering deals on those too now...
Skyehigh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skyehigh55 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #61
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Why do birds suddenly appear
Every time you are near?
Just like me, they long to be
Close to you
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~el~jefe~ For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-06-2019), thomasmryan (08-12-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #62
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
A local dealer here got a Series.Yellow and didn't sell it for several months, but that was in part because it was an automatic. They had manual BRZs come in and go out within days, while that one sat on the lot looking pretty. It didn't help matters that they seemed to think it was a collector car and didn't want to deal on the price.
After the series.blue came out Subaru basically told dealers they had to sell the special editions at MSRP. Apparently there were dealers willing to do almost anything to sell the series.blue that didn't sell, and Subaru didn't want their special editions selling for less than the limited prices, which happened in a few cases. I talked to a couple dealers about the series.hyperblue and they told me they weren't allowed to make a deal. Of course that probably changed after they sat for 3 or 4 months. Not sure if the dealers told them to change that rule, but I know tS sold for well less than msrp in a few cases.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #63
S3pt1c

Drives: Supercharged 2015 GTS86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
I got my Limited because of the heated alacantra seats, fog lights and better climate system. I thought the dual zone was dumb in a small car but it’s a nicer control unit. Puddle lights were nice too.

Fog lights turned out to be useless.

My model is an Australian GTS86. The GTS appears to be, partially, the equivalent of what you guys are terming ‘Limited’. I brought it back with me to the U.K. I haven’t used the fig lights here, however, where I lived in Aus there were no street lights for miles, and in their winter it would get very dark early. Roads there weren’t great, potholes could appear quite literally overnight, and I found that using the fog lights, alongside full beams, to be vital and also thought they were very good. Mind you, I’ve never had a car with fog lights before, so can’t compare it with anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
S3pt1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #64
Larphraulen

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ 6m; 2012 VW GLI 6m
I would choose my base model 2018 again -- even in a hypothetical scenario where they are priced the same.

You still get Android Auto. I'll take the cloth seats over alcantara any day. Prefer the manual climate controls.

Key-less entry is nice (had it on previous car) but I also like the foolproofness of an old school key. On my last car, I accidentally went swimming with my key in pocket. Had to get a new battery before I could get it working properly again. Totally my fault though lol.

The only thing I wish I had from the Limited is being able to see oil temperatures.

For all the talk about price difference, I ended up getting $3k (CAD) below MSRP. Though, it was new old stock, bought in the following winter (Feb 2019). Really happy with the value.
Larphraulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #65
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I love not having to take my keys out of my pocket to lock/unlock my car. That alone makes it worth the price.
Unless you are try to sneak out of the house with the Ascent key in your pocket and your dumb ass is already in the car parked in the garage. Doh! Back into the house and the dog intercepts you thinking he’s going for a ride. And then the wife, “Could you stop at the grocery?” The keys are identical, so I got out the label maker: Ascent. BReeZe.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #66
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarpswitch View Post
Unless you are try to sneak out of the house with the Ascent key in your pocket and your dumb ass is already in the car parked in the garage. Doh! Back into the house and the dog intercepts you thinking he’s going for a ride. And then the wife, “Could you stop at the grocery?” The keys are identical, so I got out the label maker: Ascent. BReeZe.
Flarpswitch (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #67
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
Why do birds suddenly appear
Every time you are near?
Just like me, they long to be
Close to you
Sitting in a parking lot ready to take off, turn on the radio and that song comes on... kill me now... change the station and then it happens; a flock of geese. I just washed my B R Zed two hours earlier. Geese, freaking rats with wings. And I hate that milk toast song all the more.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flarpswitch For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-14-2019), ~el~jefe~ (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #68
Tcoat

Quote:
Sitting in a parking lot ready to take off, turn on the radio and that song comes on... kill me now... change the station and then it happens; a flock of geese. I just washed my B R Zed two hours earlier. Geese, freaking rats with wings. And I hate that milk toast song all the more.
Could be worse

Or REALLY worse

~el~jefe~ (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #69
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
That’s some down on your luck existence right there. You need a sad clown with a floppy flower to visit you.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote