follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
ShadowTS

Drives: Toyota GT86 SWP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Reliability of engine with short block replaced

Hello,

I'm a new member of FT86club and a long date fan of the FT86 project from Europe. Since the first concept car I knew I want this car, but with a limited budget I'm finally approaching used ones.
Unfortunately, there aren't many GT86 in Europe, so it's hard to find one not too far from me, with a good price, and even if you find one the price will be much higher than the magazine price suggested for a used one (because the offer is much lower than the request).

However, I have the possibility to buy one at the "right" price, but this had some issues in the past. This GT86 had a failure (i don't know the english term, I suppose you call it a "broken bushing").
Under warranty, the dealer replaced only the short block assembly (+ oil filter and gasket).

This engine failure happened almost 1 year and 10k kms ago.

Now, I want a GT86, which should be my daily driver car and should attend also 5-6 track session a year. Moreover, this car should last 6-10 years, and for sure won't stay stock (tune, exhaust for sure, maybe also ESC).

What do you think about the reliability of such half-replaced engine? I would not have that big problems if they had also replaced the cylinder head, but they didn't.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Sorry for my bad English
ShadowTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
HapaHaole

Drives: Grocery cart
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
IT should still carry the warranty, if in the USA. also test drive it and makes sure there are no odd noises.

I have rebuild many bottom ends on vehicles, and didnt replace the cylinder head and never had an issue.. Most problems occur a few Kilometers after being on the road.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
zkv476

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It shouldn't really be a problem if it was done properly and the cylinder head wasn't damaged prior to the short block replacement. There have been people with repeated short block replacements but they tend to have head issues or problems in other places that were never addressed leading to short block failures again.
zkv476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
ShadowTS

Drives: Toyota GT86 SWP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If I take the car to a Toyota Dealer/mechanic, is there any test they can do to tell me something about the reliability or the status of the engine? Cylinder compression test?
ShadowTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Walk no run. Its odd to replace a short block and not the heads. Are you sure it didn't say short block bushing (aka motor mount.) ??

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
block, engine, failure, replacement, short