follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2017 86 fog lights option

Has anyone who bought the new 2017 86 purchased the optional dealer installed fog lights? Any reviews? For example, are they worth it? Do they do an adequate job of lighting up the road? (I'm guessing the new LEDs should be better than the 2016 and earlier models, which from my reading get mixed reviews.) Is the control on the stalk or a button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel? I'm also wondering how capable their dealer was at installing them. Did they need to take off the front bumper? I've read about how their can be a small sag for those who remove and reinstall their bumper, requiring extra clips and such, so I'm kind of reluctant to remove it.

I feel that those black faux vents are just asking to have fog lights, so if they provide useful light and the dealer can install them without removing the bumper, I'm going to negotiate for their addition when I buy a new 86.

Thanks for shedding any light on this subject (snare drum, cymbal crash),
Myriad
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
I wanted to add them to my 86 last month when I bought them but I was afraid the dealer's mechanics would have messed up something. I am content to wait and see if I can get some later and install myself or see if something aftermarket comes out that is cheaper and near same quality. Keep me posted on what you do. My 86 is just a weekender ride now but the lighting seems fine to me,,,,way better than my 2014 GMC Sierra with the fogs on.

22R
22R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 22R For This Useful Post:
Myriad (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22R View Post
I wanted to add them to my 86 last month when I bought them but I was afraid the dealer's mechanics would have messed up something.
22R
Exactly! It's not like this is a high selling model, and this option is even more rare, so I'm sure it will be one of the first times the mechanics do it. I might do as good a job as they could, but having it covered under warranty and not screwing up a brand new car myself would be nice. I'm not even sure how it comes installed (stalk vs button).

Myriad
Old 06-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I thought about it but on my last car I never used the fog lights, so I don't care much. I despise the matte black bits though, so I'm planning to wrap them in gloss black.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
Darkrune

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would love to get the fog light holes and add vents to the front brakes. Edit: for phone autocorrect.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darkrune; 06-15-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Darkrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
Myriad

After some research I've only found oem parts that add the fog light switch to the left of the steering wheel by the trunk release button. It appears that if it's direct from the factory with fog lights (BRZ limited and Toyota 860), it's on the stalk. But if you upgrade from lower trim levels, it's on the dash. ft86speedfactory.com has a good video about installing it yourself and the bumper does not need to be removed. Doesn't look too hard. Getting your arm past the wheel well guards looks awkward, and you have to be comfortable with popping interior trim off, but it looks like a plug and play. No splicing or running wires beyond attaching the lights to an existing dongle in the bumper and a switch cable to the other end by the dash. I might do it myself unless I get a good deal from the dealer.

Still wondering how useful the new LED fog lights are. Any reviews out there? Are they worth it?

Myriad
Old 06-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Parts number for fog lights conversion:

Fog plastic trim
SU-00306842 - RH
SU-00306843 - LH

Fog light:
SU-00306982 - RH
SU-00306983 - LH

I think there is also a bracket that comes with it. I will update this post when I get it.
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
22R (06-17-2017), Myriad (06-15-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
Myriad

For an update, I did get fog lights installed by the dealer as an extra option when buying the car. I have a mixed experience. It took a week to order them and the salesman said to call the service department to schedule an appointment. I got a "Who's on First" comedy routine:

"I need foglights installed on my 86."
"An 86 what?"
"A Toyota 86."
"But an 86 what?"
"That's the model."
"No, what kind of car is it?"
"A Toyota"
"A Toyota what?"
"86."
"On a used car?"
"No, it's brand new. I just bought it and have the installation of fog lights included."
"On an 86."
"Yes."
"An 86 what?"

I swear it went on like that for a while till I explained that it was not the year but indeed a model of car that Toyota actually sells. He never heard of them. I was doubtful of their ability to service my car properly and was proven right. Upon pulling into my parking garage and seeing them shine on the wall I saw that one shined up and one shined down. They were either not level or one was installed upside down. When I later pointed out that the writing on the bulb was inverted he said, no no it's supposed to be like that. The bracket is reversed on the opposite side of the car. A left/right thing. I told him he needed to do something to make the bulbs level and to take another look. In the waiting room he sheepishly confessed later that, yeah, the bracket was upside down and fixed it.

To their credit they owned up to it and fixed it. The interior trim was handled with care and looks great, so everything turned out OK. Still a funny story. I'll post pictures once I can figure out how to make them small enough.

Myriad
Old 08-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #9
ZX88

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have them on my 2017. They do a good job lighting up the road. They are also pretty bright. There are two ways to turn them on from the stock and the dash i believe.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
Myriad

It's taken me awhile to get around to this, but here is a picture of my dealer installed foglights for my base 2017 86. What I find interesting is that the lenses are different than the ones that come in the Special Edition 860. The base model lens is smoother, smokier, and less noticeable. The 860 is bright white in comparison, with a crystal or diamond looking lens. I'm pretty happy with the darker look myself. They don't pop like the 860, but the muted look has its own appeal.

Myriad
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Myriad For This Useful Post:
Qc86 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
Myriad

And here are the pics of my foglights against a parking garage wall. The first depicts the upside-down bracket installation on the left side, while the second shows the final result after the dealer correctly reinstalled it. Much better, don't you think? Still can't believe I had to deal with that. It's all good now, though.

Myriad
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #12
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Those are pretty nice oem foglights. The ones that came on my 2016 BRZ were garbage and merely decorative. Made no difference if they were on or off. They were way warmer than the oem HID headlights too. I've upgraded to Morimoto xb LED foglights and they are pretty neat. They only flood light right in front of the vehicle and I think that if you have projector headlights then there is no need for foglights. They look pretty cool at night though.

In some of the pics I have the Intec headlights installed. Getting the wiring right was a nightmare because the dealer wired up mu foglights wrong. Somehow they hooked them up to the headlights ground. They also wired the switch so that it connected the foglights to ground instead of toggling power. For the headlights we had to wire the audi style drl bar to the car side wire that illuminated the C-lights because we were popping fuses. Install was not plug and play like Subispeed said, but whatever. Fortunately the shop I went to fixed everything.

The Intec lights don't have as wide a beam pattern as OEM and they might not be as bright, but that might be because they are a "hotter" color than OEM. Subaru's OEM HIDs were really good. The Intec's beam pattern has a bump on the right to illuminate road signs whereas the OEM's pattern was flat. Of course, I got the Intecs for the LED sequential indicators. They are also blacked out which looks pretty good. If I had a 2017 I don't think I would have upgraded as they are full LED as well.

I'm considering smoking my DRLs to match the dark housings of the foglights and headlights.
Attached Images

NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #13
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
And some more because file size limit
Attached Images

NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote