follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #29
Kendallkab

Drives: Black MT LMT BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
+1 for filing an insurance claim. Might raise your premium, but that might just be the price to pay to get a new engine (or new car, if this one is totaled)
I kind of fucked myself then.. I just changed to liability insurance temporarily to help a friend with there rent for a month.. I don’t think that’s enough to cover it... I’m just going to have to be without the car for a while until I can pay for the motor and install.. when I called the dealership they told me it would be around 5300 for the short block and the labor for the installation.. does that sound correct? There’s a shop offering me less but I want to know it’s done correctly.. I’m not knowledgeable enough to do it myself so the dealership seems to be my only option.
Kendallkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
That isn't a bad price. I would check some reviews on the independent shop as well though.

Never, EVER go to liability only on a car. I think the reasons are apparent.
Dadhawk (12-05-2018), DarkPira7e (12-05-2018), kch (12-05-2018), Kendallkab (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #31
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendallkab View Post
I kind of fucked myself then.. I just changed to liability insurance temporarily to help a friend with there rent for a month.. I don’t think that’s enough to cover it... I’m just going to have to be without the car for a while until I can pay for the motor and install..
Thats really rough man, sorry to hear it.

Quote:
when I called the dealership they told me it would be around 5300 for the short block and the labor for the installation.. does that sound correct? There’s a shop offering me less but I want to know it’s done correctly.. I’m not knowledgeable enough to do it myself so the dealership seems to be my only option.
Unfortunately, I don't have really any point of reference for what a new engine install should cost (I've only had my FR-S since the summer) but I'm sure you can find posts on here detailing what others have paid and get a decent idea of what the service normally would cost.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #32
Kendallkab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That isn't a bad price. I would check some reviews on the independent shop as well though.

Never, EVER go to liability only on a car. I think the reasons are apparent.
Yes they are.. I love the car tho so I’ll just have to pay it when I can.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #33
Kendallkab

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
Thats really rough man, sorry to hear it.

Unfortunately, I don't have really any point of reference for what a new engine install should cost (I've only had my FR-S since the summer) but I'm sure you can find posts on here detailing what others have paid and get a decent idea of what the service normally would cost.
Yea I’ll have to do some research.. don’t ever go 133 on a backroad days after bottoming out really bad smh.. I normally drive the car like a baby but every once in a while if I find a curvy area that’s in the backroads I like to drive a bit crazy.. I definitely did this to myself
Old 12-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #34
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
For reference a short block is about $1800 and the gasket kit (which includes everything you need) is $240. You also need about 2 tubes of ThreeBond which is another $50. Don't forget oil and coolant. So basically they are charging you ~3000 in labor. It's an extremely time consuming job though. It took me 2 months to replace my short block but actual time working was about 50 hours I would say. I don't do this everyday so I'm slow. I've seen builders quote 24 hours to rebuild an FA20. So at 24 hours they are charging $125/hour.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Kendallkab (12-05-2018), qcbaker (12-05-2018), Sportsguy83 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #35
Kendallkab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
For reference a short block is about $1800 and the gasket kit (which includes everything you need) is $240. You also need about 2 tubes of ThreeBond which is another $50. Don't forget oil and coolant. So basically they are charging you ~3000 in labor. It's an extremely time consuming job though. It took me 2 months to replace my short block but actual time working was about 50 hours I would say. I don't do this everyday so I'm slow. I've seen builders quote 24 hours to rebuild an FA20. So at 24 hours they are charging $125/hour.
Thanks for the info! Depending on how much money I come up with i might look into a swap. I understand that’s like double the price but it all depends on the money I can come up with and the time I’m willing to be without the car. Plus I’d have to do tons of research and find a shop that would be willing to do the swap. I don’t know yet
Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #36
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendallkab View Post
Thanks for the info! Depending on how much money I come up with i might look into a swap. I understand that’s like double the price but it all depends on the money I can come up with and the time I’m willing to be without the car. Plus I’d have to do tons of research and find a shop that would be willing to do the swap. I don’t know yet
If you have the tools, knowledge (or ability to research), and some friends, you can swap in a used FA20 from a junkyard and have it running in a couple days. Junkyard motors are a crapshoot, so I probably wouldn't hold onto the car for long after swapping, but it's a less expensive option.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #37
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
If you have the tools, knowledge (or ability to research), and some friends, you can swap in a used FA20 from a junkyard and have it running in a couple days. Junkyard motors are a crapshoot, so I probably wouldn't hold onto the car for long after swapping, but it's a less expensive option.
LOL And then we get a new guy starting a thread that says "Just bought a used one and the engine blew up two days later. Did I get ripped off?"
kch (12-05-2018), Kendallkab (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #38
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL And then we get a new guy starting a thread that says "Just bought a used one and the engine blew up two days later. Did I get ripped off?"
caveat emptor
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #39
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just because it's being done at the dealership doesn't mean it will be done correctly. Especially at the Toyota dealership working on a Subaru engine.

IMO, a full engine swap from a shop would be a better choice than an engine rebuild from the dealership. As long as the used engine was sourced from a good donor (Ex, a car that was rear ended and written off) I don't see the problem, since most shops will give you a warranty period anyways. An engine rebuild means more can go wrong.
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to highway7 For This Useful Post:
Kendallkab (12-06-2018), NCtoBRZ (12-05-2018), Sportsguy83 (12-06-2018), Summerwolf (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #40
LunarStorm86

Drives: 2016 FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
it also doesn't mean that it wont get done right. Request a master or mdt to only be the one to touch your car. At least then, your dealing with someone whos been with Toyota since the FRS came out (takes 5 years to be master) and who gives a shit enough about what hes doing. Ask to talk to the tech doing the job, and hell, if it makes you feel better, ask for his credential's. Im a master tech at a Toyota dealer, I can tell you most techs run from the FR-S. I've built a few FA20 engines and if you get someone who cares, it will be done right.----Hell, if you're close enough to Louisiana (Baton Rouge) to tow it to me, i'll build it for you for a much cheaper cost than $3k just in labor.
LunarStorm86 is offline   Reply With Quote