follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 10-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #3571
rlybigBOB
well.. medium-sizedBOB

Drives: '14 Asphalt FRS MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Detailing, Paint Repair, Wheel repair

For those of us in the Austin Area:

These are the folks we use at Porsche for the following:

minor paint and scratch repair: Call Jerry @ 714.803.1193: he does mobile paint and scratch repair... at Porsche we call him "Rembrandt" - best work I've seen from a mobile unit ANYWHERE -- we trust him implicitly with $100k+ cars every day. (he is way too humble for his own good and will tell you that he wont do a good job... this is bullshit - he performs at a top tier level at incredibly reasonable prices. A true example of "undersell, over-perform"

Wheel rash and damage repair: Todd @ "Wheel Recon" 512.587.9892: like Jerry he is mobile, extremely humble, very reasonably priced, and performs at a top tier level. His most recent job for me was repairing a 991 GT3 wheel. Looks like brand new.

Mobile Auto Detailing: Cosmin Chira @ "ProReflection" 972.834.9150: Cosmin and his team are fast, reliable, and offer the most extensive and professional services of any mobile detail unit. Services: wash/wax, clay-bar, compund/polish, headlight restoration, leather treatment, swirl/scratch/oxidation,hologram removal!

Nothing but professional level service from the above-mentioned individuals.
rlybigBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rlybigBOB For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (10-24-2014), frsvr4 (10-27-2014), Jyn (10-26-2014), Odd (10-26-2014), Scottemad123 (10-24-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #3572
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Hi all, I'm planning to move from New York to Austin by next summer. Looking forward to it! One question about modding cars and dealing with inspections - how strict are the emissions tests? If I don't throw any CEL's will I basically pass or do they perform a visual/sniffer?

Non-car related: I'm in IT Management (Development/Applications) - is the job market still decent or is the competition tough? I know I'll be getting a salary decrease but I'm hoping the cost of living more than makes up for it.

Finally, location - I've got a 10 year old so education is an important factor. Leaning towards Eanes ISD but open to any other suggestions. Would like to stay close to downtown.

Thanks, and hope to meet up at some local events when I finally make the move!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #3573
Scottemad123

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Hi all, I'm planning to move from New York to Austin by next summer. Looking forward to it! One question about modding cars and dealing with inspections - how strict are the emissions tests? If I don't throw any CEL's will I basically pass or do they perform a visual/sniffer?

Non-car related: I'm in IT Management (Development/Applications) - is the job market still decent or is the competition tough? I know I'll be getting a salary decrease but I'm hoping the cost of living more than makes up for it.

Finally, location - I've got a 10 year old so education is an important factor. Leaning towards Eanes ISD but open to any other suggestions. Would like to stay close to downtown.

Thanks, and hope to meet up at some local events when I finally make the move!

I'm in Healthcare Software, so if you need a referral . As far as housing, it isn't cheap in the decent neighborhoods within city limits. We came from Chicago and the actual housing is more or less the same for what we were looking for. Everything else, gas, groceries, etc seems cheaper though.
Scottemad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scottemad123 For This Useful Post:
Foobar (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #3574
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottemad123 View Post
I'm in Healthcare Software, so if you need a referral . As far as housing, it isn't cheap in the decent neighborhoods within city limits. We came from Chicago and the actual housing is more or less the same for what we were looking for. Everything else, gas, groceries, etc seems cheaper though.
Healthcare systems is an unexplored frontier for me - worked in Pharmaceuticals, Marketing, Telecom, Hospitality, Food, Higher Ed, and Engineering - usually Oracle-based DBMS and some kind of Windows or Web-based front-end development, or commercial off-the-shelf systems.

Currently own a house on Long Island, NY - so I'm no stranger to ridiculous housing prices. Came here from Chicago 10 years ago where I was used to paying half for the same house. If I can get back to those kinds of housing prices in Austin, I'll consider myself ahead of the game Basically, if I can get a decent 2500sqft 4BR house on at least a quarter acre in a good school district for under 500K, that'd be great. Since I've only been to Austin once before and not really familiar with all of the neighborhoods, I'll be looking to rent a house for a year or two to get acclimated first.

By the way, since you're from Chicago, maybe you can give me a bit of a perspective - I grew up on the North Side of Chicago, eventually moved out to the Northwest (Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, Algonquin) and Near West burbs (Villa Park, Oakbrook Terrace) - is there a particular part of Austin that would give me a similar vibe?
Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Foobar; 10-27-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #3575
Supercharged
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Quote:
Healthcare systems is an unexplored frontier for me - worked in Pharmaceuticals, Marketing, Telecom, Hospitality, Food, Higher Ed, and Engineering - usually Oracle-based DBMS and some kind of Windows or Web-based front-end development, or commercial off-the-shelf systems.

Currently own a house on Long Island, NY - so I'm no stranger to ridiculous housing prices. Came here from Chicago 10 years ago where I was used to paying half for the same house. If I can get back to those kinds of housing prices in Austin, I'll consider myself ahead of the game Basically, if I can get a decent 2500sqft 4BR house on at least a quarter acre in a good school district for under 500K, that'd be great. Since I've only been to Austin once before and not really familiar with all of the neighborhoods, I'll be looking to rent a house for a year or two to get acclimated first.

Thanks for the input!
North Austin is a lot cheaper. I live in Round Rock and enjoy north side Austin. Leander ISD is pretty good for kids, but its a drive getting to downtown Austin.

Inspection? All you gotta do is pass the OBDII test, and standard equipment test. No sniffer in Williamson county. Travis I don't think there is either, yet.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Supercharged For This Useful Post:
Foobar (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #3576
Scottemad123

Quote:

By the way, since you're from Chicago, maybe you can give me a bit of a perspective - I grew up on the North Side of Chicago, eventually moved out to the Northwest and Near West burbs - is there a particular part of Austin that would give me a similar vibe?
Thanks for the input!
I'm actually from the NW burbs in Chicago / and Northside when I lived in the city... You may know some of the same people if you did car stuff back then
Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #3577
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Eanes ISD is a very good district and is also fairly small so parents have a lot of influence on what happens there. Other good districts in the area are Round Rock ISD, Leander ISD, but they are nowhere near downtown. The commute from those areas is usually 45 minutes or longer, depending on traffic.

I would not recommend Austin ISD at this point, as they have many issues and they are really stretched financially at present.

Now back to cars and racing: The U.S. Grand Prix is this weekend at Circuit of the Americas. The density of sports cars goes up on the highways around here. I suspect that the rich European jet-setters are renting exotic cars for the event. Anyway the town gets a little crazier than usual and Monday next week will be the highest air traffic day of the year at ABI, as everyone tries to leave all at once.
Foobar (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #3578
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Actually from the NW burbs in Chicago / and Northside when I lived in the city... You may know some of the same people if you did car stuff back then
I was into Honda and DSM back in the late 80s to mid 90s, but I wasn't really active in any local car buff communities. I went conservative after that and the BRZ is my opportunity to get back into messing with cars. Moving to Austin will help out in that regard, since I won't have to deal with Midwest or Northeast winters anymore
Old 10-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #3579
Scottemad123

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
Eanes ISD is a very good district and is also fairly small so parents have a lot of influence on what happens there. Other good districts in the area are Round Rock ISD, Leander ISD, but they are nowhere near downtown. The commute from those areas is usually 45 minutes or longer, depending on traffic.

I would not recommend Austin ISD at this point, as they have many issues and they are really stretched financially at present.

Now back to cars and racing: The U.S. Grand Prix is this weekend at Circuit of the Americas. The density of sports cars goes up on the highways around here. I suspect that the rich European jet-setters are renting exotic cars for the event. Anyway the town gets a little crazier than usual and Monday next week will be the highest air traffic day of the year at ABI, as everyone tries to leave all at once.
I'd be at the race if it wasn't for our dog needing to be taken care of. (old can't hold it more than 4 hours). So I'll be chilling watching with beer on the couch.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #3580
Scottemad123

Quote:
I was into Honda and DSM back in the late 80s to mid 90s, but I wasn't really active in any local car buff communities. I went conservative after that and the BRZ is my opportunity to get back into messing with cars. Moving to Austin will help out in that regard, since I won't have to deal with Midwest or Northeast winters anymore
I wasn't super active there either, mainly keep it conservative and out of trouble. I'm trying to be more active here, but just being a cheap bastard when it comes to buying stuff. List is ready to go just hesitating to pull the trigger because I need a house before I get priced out of the neighborhoods the fiance likes.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #3581
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
I wasn't super active there either, mainly keep it conservative and out of trouble. I'm trying to be more active here, but just being a cheap bastard when it comes to buying stuff. List is ready to go just hesitating to pull the trigger because I need a house before I get priced out of the neighborhoods the fiance likes.
If I had known I was going to be making a move, I probably wouldn't have dumped cash into the BRZ like I did! Only thing left for me to do at this point is suspension and maybe brakes. I stayed away from lowering the car because I drive my car as a daily even during winter snow (snow tires) and I didn't want to have to keep swapping back to give myself proper clearance in snow. Again, I'm looking forward to not having to deal with that anymore in Austin!
Old 10-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #3582
Supercharged
Banned

I'll be at F1 this weekend. 8th row back in the Grand Stand. My soon to be father in law bought us tickets. It will be my first race in my life, ever.... I can't wait.
The Following User Says Thank You to Supercharged For This Useful Post:
Jyn (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #3583
Scottemad123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged View Post
I'll be at F1 this weekend. 8th row back in the Grand Stand. My soon to be father in law bought us tickets. It will be my first race in my life, ever.... I can't wait.
Should be awesome, I would say bring ear protection...but with the v6's not so sure you'll need it.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #3584
Supercharged
Banned

Quote:
Should be awesome, I would say bring ear protection...but with the v6's not so sure you'll need it.
I'll have it just in case.

Definitely won't be taking the FR-S down for parking. Some of the lots are dirt parking lots as well.