follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Daedex
That One Guy

Drives: White 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New to the scene, some info on intakes/exhausts needed

Hey guys!

So I will be buying my very first *new* car, and it will be a BRZ (2015) early next year. w00t w00t! I am excited, and have been doing research ever since these first came out.

I do have some questions since after I buy the car I will want to upgrade the exhaust system and intake. These forums have been great with giving info on exhaust systems, but I am extremely new to intakes.

So here is my question: What brands are extremely good or very well known for amazing intakes? Or what do you guys suggest? (pretend price isn't an issue). How it sounds isn't a priority more-so than weight (more like how little it weighs), and power gain (I know power gain will be very minimal), then sound.

Second question about exhausts: I know the weight of the stock exhaust (~42lbs) but every aftermarket exhaust system I find online doesn't specify the weight of it. What gives? Is there a good website I can go to that gives specs of the lightest exhaust system out there?

Anyways, thanks in advance for any future help.
Daedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
your first question: as far as bang/buck. The majority would probably agree with just a drop in air filter.

as for your second question: The Tomei exhausts are probably the lightest of them all.

Most people are more concerened with the sound of their cat-back exhaust system than with the weight of the system. I think all of the aftermarket exhausts are lighter than the stock exhaust.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
rb6freak (06-30-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
+1 on above post

Intakes = very little power increase on a non-boosted car over just a drop in filter

Changing intakes can upset MAF (mass air flow) sensor scaling resulting in poor performance ( hesitation roughness) unless you re-tune for the aftermarket intake. Any performance increase with intakes is generally high rpm, these cars need midrange.

Exhausts.

Catbacks for sound only -little or no power increase
If you do get a catback get a quiet one as if you change headers or install high flow main cat later on it going to get loud
Change headers preferably catless for power increase
For maximum benefit from headers you need to tune for them

Rough power increase over stock

Headers alone no tune maybe 5hp - with tune maybe 10-15 but you get more midrange power/torque which is what you need

Intake with maybe 4 or 5hp max
You would probably get 2 or 3 hp with drop in filter without problems of rescaling MAF

Tune on completely stock car maybe 10hp - but you get more midrange power/torque

Tune for E85 fuel + headers + tune+ drop in filter maybe 25-30hp that about it on an NA car with bolt-on mods and tune (talking wheel HP)

If you want more HP than that plan on boost from start

Remember if you change stuff especially headers and intakes you will likely run into warantee issues should you develop and engine issues.

With just a tune that you can flash back to stock may be a better option if you want to minimize chance of warantee issues

Last edited by steve99; 06-27-2014 at 01:49 PM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
akahenry (06-30-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
904FRSlow

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
+1 on above post

Intakes = very little power increase on a non-boosted car over just a drop in filter

Changing intakes can upset MAF (mass air flow) sensor scaling resulting in poor performance ( hesitation roughness) unless you re-tune for the aftermarket intake. Any performance increase with intakes is generally high rpm, these cars need midrange.

Exhausts.

Catbacks for sound only -little or no power increase
If you do get a catback get a quiet one as if you change headers or install high flow main cat later on it going to get loud
Change headers preferably catless for power increase
For maximum benefit from headers you need to tune for them

Rough power increase over stock

Headers alone no tune maybe 5hp - with tune maybe 10-15 but you get more midrange power/torque which is what you need

Intake with maybe 4 or 5hp max
You would probably get 2 or 3 hp with drop in filter without problems of rescaling MAF

Tune on completely stock car maybe 10hp - but you get more midrange power/torque

Tune for E85 fuel + headers + tune+ drop in filter maybe 25-30hp that about it on an NA car with bolt-on mods and tune (talking wheel HP)

If you want more HP than that plan on boost from start

Remember if you change stuff especially headers and intakes you will likely run into warantee issues should you develop and engine issues.

With just a tune that you can flash back to stock may be a better option if you want to minimize chance of warantee issues
I don't want to void my warranty. Which catback would you recommend that is quiet at low rpms and roars at high rpms while maintaining the boxer rumble?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
904FRSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:30 AM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904FRSlow View Post
I don't want to void my warranty. Which catback would you recommend that is quiet at low rpms and roars at high rpms while maintaining the boxer rumble?

Unfortunatly you wont get boxer rumble unless you change your header to a unequal length header UEL, the stock header is equal length EL so you dont get that dropped cylinder beat. It the uel header that give the trademark rumble.

Just beware of Agency Power and Invidia N1 catbacks as they can be verry loud,
a Invidia Q300 , perrin or nameless or hks should be fine. Nothing wrong with the fist two if you like very loud.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Unfortunatly you wont get boxer rumble unless you change your header to a unequal length header UEL, the stock header is equal length EL so you dont get that dropped cylinder beat. It the uel header that give the trademark rumble.

Just beware of Agency Power and Invidia N1 catbacks as they can be verry loud,
a Invidia Q300 , perrin or nameless or hks should be fine. Nothing wrong with the fist two if you like very loud.
Agency Power should be ignored at all costs. Almost everything they design has been copied from other vendors. They do very little R&D if any at all... They have been known in the Subaru community to copy designs and have very piss poor quality control. Lots of owners have reported horrible fitment and cracking issues with their exhausts. They are basically like Megan but charging you what other vendors who actually do R&D charge, but without the gains.

For example, their cat back exhaust claimed 10-13 WHP through out the whole dyno, and when a customer had his car dyno'd it showed only 4-5 whp at the top end. Also dont buy Air Raid, they were here to make a quick buck by being the first company to release an intake and since they got exposed by Drift-Office and many other independent dyno';s showing a loss of power they disappeared.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-Sizzle For This Useful Post:
8R6 (06-28-2014), Kuri (07-06-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 04:04 AM   #7
daibunjau

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Nameless axleback for sound. Just listen to this video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XPzeO5ODiE"]Subaru BRZ Nameless Exhaust Before and After - YouTube[/ame]
daibunjau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Firestorm_86

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Dsport mag did a review of exhausts, their gains and the weights. I went with the Legamax for that reason. Also, I don't like the cavity that canister exhausts leave under the trunk.
Firestorm_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
executivekoala

Drives: fr-s
Why dont you search it on google or use the search tab?
executivekoala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to executivekoala For This Useful Post:
NLSP (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
G-Man

Drives: 1980 corvette, 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
there is an old thread on here, not sure how much new stuff came out since then.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42555
Old 06-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedex View Post
Hey guys!

So I will be buying my very first *new* car, and it will be a BRZ (2015) early next year. w00t w00t! I am excited, and have been doing research ever since these first came out.

I do have some questions since after I buy the car I will want to upgrade the exhaust system and intake. These forums have been great with giving info on exhaust systems, but I am extremely new to intakes.

So here is my question: What brands are extremely good or very well known for amazing intakes? Or what do you guys suggest? (pretend price isn't an issue). How it sounds isn't a priority more-so than weight (more like how little it weighs), and power gain (I know power gain will be very minimal), then sound.

Second question about exhausts: I know the weight of the stock exhaust (~42lbs) but every aftermarket exhaust system I find online doesn't specify the weight of it. What gives? Is there a good website I can go to that gives specs of the lightest exhaust system out there?

Anyways, thanks in advance for any future help.
Don't be lazy and search. I will not do the work for you. Learn how to use this forum.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. BRZ For This Useful Post:
MagicBobert (07-06-2014), NLSP (06-30-2014), sshole (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
904FRSlow

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by daibunjau View Post
Nameless axleback for sound. Just listen to this video

Is this nameless louder than a q300 with everything else stock? This has got me thinking especially after looking at their price

904FRSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
sshole
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
The best intake? Turbo inlet.

The best exhaust? Turbo exhaust.

Oh, you want to keep your warranty? Keep the car stock.
sshole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sshole For This Useful Post:
ck-GT86 (07-06-2014), wparsons (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
daibunjau

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904FRSlow View Post
Is this nameless louder than a q300 with everything else stock? This has got me thinking especially after looking at their price

I haven't heard the q300 in person, but based on the videos it should be just a little louder. No drone at all, just a deep low tone. When deceleration around 2.5k to 2k rpm you really hear the boxer uel tone, even with stock header and it's awesome.
daibunjau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, intake