follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
RKirklin

Drives: Scion Frs Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AVO Breather Tank for Turbo

Hello all,

New to the forum, but I have already done a search for info on this and all I can find is other people complaining about the instructions. My issue is i'm trying to install the single breather tank on my turbo frs but the instructions are awful and the pictures look like they might have been taken in a closet with the lights off. has anyone installed this and can help me with pipe routing.
RKirklin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RKirklin For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-26-2016)
Old 04-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Skorov

Drives: 86 GTS White
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
At work right now so can't take photos, but here is a brief explaination:

Let's start with the PCV system: Behind the intake manifold there is the stock PCV valve that routes into the port at the back of your manifold. Take that off. Insert the block fitting into the block. Take the PCV hose and cut the part shown in the instructions and insert the new PCV valve provided in the kit (make sure the direction is correct). Take the 3 way fitting and fit it to the block fitting using the provided hose. One side goes to the back of the manifold using the same hose you took off. The other side goes to one of the top ports in your breather tank.

Now the breather hose: This one is much easier. Disconnect the hose from the intake tube and route it to the top of the breather tank. You may need to extend it using a provided hose.

Finally, route the side port of the breather tank to the intake.

Here is a crude diagram of the routing:
Name:  AVO Breather Tank.jpg
Views: 2754
Size:  16.8 KB

Last edited by Skorov; 04-20-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Skorov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skorov For This Useful Post:
ChrisD (01-28-2016)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
RKirklin

Ok do I take the oil reservoir hose to the new oil cap direct?
Also the directions are perfect I had the top 2 installed but the 1 on the side the instructions said to take to the intake manifold which was a contradiction cause it said to take the first 1 after the pcv valve to the manifold. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Skorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKirklin View Post
Ok do I take the oil reservoir hose to the new oil cap direct?
Also the directions are perfect I had the top 2 installed but the 1 on the side the instructions said to take to the intake manifold which was a contradiction cause it said to take the first 1 after the pcv valve to the manifold. Thanks.
Yup! Hose goes from the new oil cap to the nipple on top of the resevoir.

No problem.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:36 AM   #5
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorov View Post
At work right now so can't take photos, but here is a brief explaination:

Let's start with the PCV system: Behind the intake manifold there is the stock PCV valve that routes into the port at the back of your manifold. Take that off. Insert the block fitting into the block. Take the PCV hose and cut the part shown in the instructions and insert the new PCV valve provided in the kit (make sure the direction is correct). Take the 3 way fitting and fit it to the block fitting using the provided hose. One side goes to the back of the manifold using the same hose you took off. The other side goes to one of the top ports in your breather tank.

Now the breather hose: This one is much easier. Disconnect the hose from the intake tube and route it to the top of the breather tank. You may need to extend it using a provided hose.

Finally, route the side port of the breather tank to the intake.

Here is a crude diagram of the routing:
Attachment 107544
Sorry to revive this but could anyone clarify the last part: "route the side port of the breather tank to the intake". Where exactly on the intake? Do you mean the inlet manifold or the intake piping? On your diagram it doesn't seem to go to the intake, it just goes to the crank case (unless I'm misunderstanding which pipe is which in the diagram).

As far as I can tell all of the existing ports on the inlet manifold already have hoses on them and the AVO instructions simply say "this hose off the side will feed back into your intake manifold" which doesn't help either.

Also, does anyone know exactly what happens if any of these hoses are the wrong way round? Will it just not work? Will it cause any problems? I'm pretty sure 2 of mine are not in the place the instructions say they should be, as I have the one on the side going to the intake piping before the turbo (with blue connector) and the instructions say that this one should be going to the middle port on the top of the can, not the side.
Its been like that for about 9 months since a shop installed it for me at the same time they installed the turbo. Haven't noticed any problems but it also doesn't seem to have collected anything in the catch can.
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
RKirklin

I'll take pictures for this when I get some free time today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to RKirklin For This Useful Post:
ChrisD (01-28-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #7
ChrisD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKirklin View Post
I'll take pictures for this when I get some free time today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Cheers. I asked the place that installed it and they said its definitely the right way at the moment, but it still doesn't seem to match up with what the instructions say (though they are pretty rubbish instructions, so maybe I'm just misunderstanding them)
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
Old 01-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
ChrisD

Just to clarify the bit I'm not understanding - here in the instructions AVO have a picture of one of the top hoses going to the air intake pipe before the throttle body and they say it should be using the blue connector:

But here's what mine is like. Intake pipe taken off as we were putting the engine back in still when I took this pic, but you can see that blue connector would go into the intake pipe before the throttle body (well as I've got a turbo it goes to the inlet before the turbo instead) and yet the other end of the hose goes to the side of the catch can, not the top like in their picture.

The wording in the AVO instructions is very confusing though, because for the one on the top that they've got a picture of it going to the intake pipe, it says "fits to the breather line on the right side of the engine"... and the one on the side it says "this feeds back into your inlet manifold" which would make sense if it does indeed connect the way I've got it (to the inlet pipe before the throttle body, as obviously that does then feed into the inlet manifold). But then why do they have a clear picture of it going to the inlet before throttle body and say use the blue connector, which only seems to fit there.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #9
tonytduc

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
watching thanks
Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 PM   #10
Skorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Just to clarify the bit I'm not understanding - here in the instructions AVO have a picture of one of the top hoses going to the air intake pipe before the throttle body and they say it should be using the blue connector:

But here's what mine is like. Intake pipe taken off as we were putting the engine back in still when I took this pic, but you can see that blue connector would go into the intake pipe before the throttle body (well as I've got a turbo it goes to the inlet before the turbo instead) and yet the other end of the hose goes to the side of the catch can, not the top like in their picture.

The wording in the AVO instructions is very confusing though, because for the one on the top that they've got a picture of it going to the intake pipe, it says "fits to the breather line on the right side of the engine"... and the one on the side it says "this feeds back into your inlet manifold" which would make sense if it does indeed connect the way I've got it (to the inlet pipe before the throttle body, as obviously that does then feed into the inlet manifold). But then why do they have a clear picture of it going to the inlet before throttle body and say use the blue connector, which only seems to fit there.
I don't think the orientation of the hoses matters that much for this particular catch can. I'm using a different catch can setup now so I can't take a photo. But I had side port (that runs to your blue connector in the photo) connected to the intake piping. There should be a nipple on the side of the silicone pipe.

If you're worried about blow-by issues, invest in a different catch can system.

Hope that helps. :-)
Old 02-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
ChrisD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorov View Post
If you're worried about blow-by issues, invest in a different catch can system.
What is different about other catch can systems that makes them better?
Old 02-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #12
ChrisD

Following up on this... we recently found oil was pooling up inside the cylinders on my motor, so started trying to figure out where it was coming from.

We took the inlet manifold off and found that had quite a bit of oil in it (not puddles, but if you wiped your finger round the inside of it your finger was soaked in oil so it was not just a light film). The inlet pipe leading up to the throttle body was bone dry, so the only other place we could see oil potentially coming from was the breather pipe that goes into the back/top of the inlet manifold (which is one of the places the catch can is meant to be extracting the oil from as far as I understand).

Anyway long story short, we took all of the breather pipes off and it looks like the catch can is doing absolutely nothing. AVO supply a T piece that comes from the PCV port on the engine and one goes to the catch can and one goes to the top of the inlet manifold:

but we found that the hose coming off there going to the catch can was bone dry (and so was the catch can - in fact its never caught any oil whatsoever in over 1 year of being on there and several track days etc). But the line that goes back to the top of the inlet manifold was covered in oil inside. This is where it goes back into the inlet manifold:

Now considering this is just a simple 2 way split, I'm not quite understanding what is meant to make the gas and oil go to the catch can. What's meant to stop it all just going into the inlet manifold? Especially under vacuum when the throttle is closed, surely it will just suck all of the gases and oil straight into the inlet manifold and the catch can doesn't get any of it.

Not sure if this is just bad design of the AVO breather system, or if mine just isn't plumbed in correctly.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
I got one installed on my NA car (yes I got the turbo one just plug the extra ports, long story lol) and I found the instructions were painfully bad. I just got on the phone with them and 10 minutes later I had it all figured out. When in doubt give them a call they have great customer service.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #14
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Following up on this... we recently found oil was pooling up inside the cylinders on my motor, so started trying to figure out where it was coming from.

We took the inlet manifold off and found that had quite a bit of oil in it (not puddles, but if you wiped your finger round the inside of it your finger was soaked in oil so it was not just a light film). The inlet pipe leading up to the throttle body was bone dry, so the only other place we could see oil potentially coming from was the breather pipe that goes into the back/top of the inlet manifold (which is one of the places the catch can is meant to be extracting the oil from as far as I understand).

Anyway long story short, we took all of the breather pipes off and it looks like the catch can is doing absolutely nothing. AVO supply a T piece that comes from the PCV port on the engine and one goes to the catch can and one goes to the top of the inlet manifold:

but we found that the hose coming off there going to the catch can was bone dry (and so was the catch can - in fact its never caught any oil whatsoever in over 1 year of being on there and several track days etc). But the line that goes back to the top of the inlet manifold was covered in oil inside. This is where it goes back into the inlet manifold:

Now considering this is just a simple 2 way split, I'm not quite understanding what is meant to make the gas and oil go to the catch can. What's meant to stop it all just going into the inlet manifold? Especially under vacuum when the throttle is closed, surely it will just suck all of the gases and oil straight into the inlet manifold and the catch can doesn't get any of it.

Not sure if this is just bad design of the AVO breather system, or if mine just isn't plumbed in correctly.
honestly I dont think mine is catching anything either, but my car is still NA so I am not worried about it. The inside of the box is a diamond pattern grill mesh material but I think the mesh is way to big to really catch much of anything.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avo, breather tank