follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #1
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprintex Survey/Feedback Re Heat Soak

Ok so I have read all the stuff about heat soak with the Sprintex kit and have put a fair bit of effort into fixing this problem which I did quite successfully to stop this happening but due
to an issue had to remove the unit I had made.

Needed to pull the SC to fix the prob before I could refit unit and never got round to it due to lots of things mainly every day life.

Anyway our car is in the shed after it's first day at the track (which was great fun) with a very sick motor and a not happy SC but it
was a stinking hot day.

Sprintex say they ran their car car around a track for 4 hrs plus and it didn't suffer any heat soak issue on a pretty hot day but acknowledge that a number of people say that
heat soak is an issue but they have not experienced it .

What I would like to know is how many people (or people they know directly) have sold their Sprintex setups due to this heat soak issue and have you/they gone the turbo path or
another brand of SC or reverted to NA ?

Apparently the guy who runs Sprintex company now is an accountant and I believe drives a Lexus hybrid or similar so I not sure how much passion their is to
develop the product further .
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What did you have made that went some way into fixing this?

By heat soak, what do you mean? Has it physically damaged the compressor or the engine or just running poorly due to the heat?

I think most people equate heat soak to just high charge air temps, unless you monitor the actual post compression temperature then you don't get to see that. I would imagine you really need to get compensations built in for that as well to help fuel and ignition timing.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
The heat soak is real. Go with a harrop or edlebrock kit.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
depends on what you determine heat soak I suppose

sprintex owners I've spoken to say they've seen intake temps of 60+ C after a few laps and that can reach 80C in hot climates

thats excessive in my view
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
sam69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
What did you have made that went some way into fixing this?

By heat soak, what do you mean? Has it physically damaged the compressor or the engine or just running poorly due to the heat?

I think most people equate heat soak to just high charge air temps, unless you monitor the actual post compression temperature then you don't get to see that. I would imagine you really need to get compensations built in for that as well to help fuel and ignition timing.

Blower is definitely noisier than it was but is still making boost so I think it could be the gears starting to degrade with excessive heat which can be a problem apparently.

Matt I have seen over 80+ c on the intake side post SC but thought some of this might have been from heat soak due to the temp sensor location in the manifold
which is only a short sensor and has a fair bit of aluminum surrounding it but maybe not.

Have been talking with Sprintex and they do not think or believe there is a heat issue with their system as they have done all the
testing/monitoring on track and dyno and say there is no problem .

Would really like them to have a look / evaluate my cooling idea but not looking hopefull atm as they can't see there's an issue .

sw20kosh I assume you have had first hand experience with the Sprintex kit and if so what was your findings.
Motor is nearly ready to come out so as soon as I can find time it'll be coming out for a closer look.

cheers sam
Old 01-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam69 View Post
Blower is definitely noisier than it was but is still making boost so I think it could be the gears starting to degrade with excessive heat which can be a problem apparently.

Matt I have seen over 80+ c on the intake side post SC but thought some of this might have been from heat soak due to the temp sensor location in the manifold
which is only a short sensor and has a fair bit of aluminum surrounding it but maybe not.

Have been talking with Sprintex and they do not think or believe there is a heat issue with their system as they have done all the
testing/monitoring on track and dyno and say there is no problem .

Would really like them to have a look / evaluate my cooling idea but not looking hopefull atm as they can't see there's an issue .

sw20kosh I assume you have had first hand experience with the Sprintex kit and if so what was your findings.
Motor is nearly ready to come out so as soon as I can find time it'll be coming out for a closer look.

cheers sam
Yeah I had it for a bit back in 2013. Didn't have it for long as it only made ~230whp on pump gas (Edlebrock and Harrop make 270-280whp on pump with the same tuner I used for the sprintex) and it heat soak pretty bad on track. For serious track driving the intercooler system is inadequate. The unit is too small. My temps with the Harrop TVS are much lower and it makes a ton more power because it can flow much more air. It is a much bigger blower, has to work less, and generates less heat.

15psi E80

Last edited by sw20kosh; 01-04-2018 at 02:40 PM.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sw20kosh For This Useful Post:
Teseo (01-04-2018), TofuJoe (02-28-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
It's that restrictive CAC. I was shocked the first time I opened one up.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
arthur93

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@sam69. What is your solution if you don't mind me asking?

I am currently evaluating this supercharger as a potential option. Mainly will be for the street so I don't think I will be experiencing heat soaking issues but I do track occasionally. Looking at the kit, they say it is water cooled. Is this referring to the cooler that sits between the supercharger and the intake? For intercooled versions, is the core out the front air-to-air?

Instagram: artym93
arthur93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:01 AM   #9
sam69

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur93 View Post
@sam69. What is your solution if you don't mind me asking?

I am currently evaluating this supercharger as a potential option. Mainly will be for the street so I don't think I will be experiencing heat soaking issues but I do track occasionally. Looking at the kit, they say it is water cooled. Is this referring to the cooler that sits between the supercharger and the intake? For intercooled versions, is the core out the front air-to-air?
Not willing to say what solution is as I would still like to try and commercialize the idea .

If you are purely using it for street I think it's a great option for putting the fun factor into the car that I felt it was lacking but if you are going to the track at all especially on hot days I would look elsewhere maybe the Harrop Kit unless I can get something happening with my idea.

The cooler core out the front is water to air to cool the laminova between the SC and intake manifold.
The Following User Says Thank You to sam69 For This Useful Post:
arthur93 (01-08-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
sam69

Bit of an update have pulled the motor out but have not pulled it down as yet.

I did strip the SC and must say was pleasantly surprised that it still looks to be in good order with no scuffing of the rotors or apparent
gear damage even though it has been over revved a lot .

Must admit I was surprised at how restrictive the laminova appears to be.

There is some positive stuff happening re the cooling solution so hopefully will know where that is going in the next few weeks .
Old 02-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I have one of the first 210s in the USA. It is NOT the most hp you can get but is a nice bump. It is a DD that also goes to the track several times a year. No inter cooler and no oil cooler. 90+ F days at Mid Ohio and did have "heat soak". To me that meant I had a slow loss of power from increased charge temps. Oil temps also went up to 260. Probably not the best thing to do to an engine, But five years of doing it and still going strong. These are tough little engines that can take a beating. We use this car as a driving improvement platform, it teaches you a lot of what you can do better and what not to do. (I am looking at a water exchange oil cooler)
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #12
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
I have one of the first 210s in the USA. It is NOT the most hp you can get but is a nice bump. It is a DD that also goes to the track several times a year. No inter cooler and no oil cooler. 90+ F days at Mid Ohio and did have "heat soak". To me that meant I had a slow loss of power from increased charge temps. Oil temps also went up to 260. Probably not the best thing to do to an engine, But five years of doing it and still going strong. These are tough little engines that can take a beating. We use this car as a driving improvement platform, it teaches you a lot of what you can do better and what not to do. (I am looking at a water exchange oil cooler)

The ned oil cooler would probably be your best bet if you want the OEM style:
https://www.nedautoparts.com/product...oem-subaru-brz

Literally taps into what the forester and wrx uses on its fa20 variations in other parts of the world.

I've been looking into the non-intercooled kit for awhile now, especially with e85 it can output great numbers.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
ls1ac (02-17-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
sam69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It's that restrictive CAC. I was shocked the first time I opened one up.
You were shocked well you're not the only one I couldn't believe what I was looking at .

Figured this by itself would cause things to heat up just through the restriction of air flow so pulled the laminova tubes out of the frame and measured the openings / ports.
Exhaust side has an area of approx 9100 sq mm and intake side 10150 plus the design is not good for airflow at all imo .

Decided to modify the ports and open them up at the same time as improving the airflow by smoothing things out so now have 12950 sq mm intake and 12600 exhaust so with my extra cooling idea I should hopefully be on a winner.

Even without it I think the extra approx 30 to 40% air flow would be beneficial as you might get less heat build up due to less restriction even though it's no longer being forced around the laminova tube as far for cooling time if that makes sense.

Tried to put pics up buk being an old fart and having a new computer has got me stuffed as to how to do it so will try and post some later when the boss gets back .
The Following User Says Thank You to sam69 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 12:32 AM   #14
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam69 View Post
You were shocked well you're not the only one I couldn't believe what I was looking at.
I figured you were up to something along those lines. The Sprintex guys painted themselves into a corner when they committed to mounting the blower above the manifold. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much that can be done to improve airflow without sacrificing CAC effectiveness. It's just a lousy compromise.