follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
shu5892001
Ontario's FT86

Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
my gf told me the camaro/challenger looks like 2 door van
shu5892001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
Too bad about those crappy brakes... and a bit surprising considering all the other efforts made to ensure the BRZ was a true sports car. What would it have cost to have equipped better pads - $50 per vehicle?
The thought is that they're great for everyday driving, performance pads (the ones you would upgrade to use on the track anyway) aren't so great for daily driving, you're going to upgrade them anyway so why make you pay more for something you'd likely swap out anyway?

Lots of little things like that going on in the car like the interior plastics or radio, good enough for everyday use, if you're going to make it a racecar or pimpmobile you'll throw it all out anyway no matter how good it is.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
By that metric, a Veyron isn't a sports car either...
I wholeheartedly agree. The Veyron is a gimmicky muscle car for oil barons. Its natural environment is doing burnouts in Chelsea and posing outside hip LA restaurants, not buzzing canyons, autocrossing, or lapping a track. It's not a sportscar.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
shawnperolis (05-24-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. The Veyron is a gimmicky muscle car for oil barons. Its natural environment is doing burnouts in Chelsea and posing outside hip LA restaurants, not buzzing canyons, autocrossing, or lapping a track. It's not a sportscar.
how is it gimmicky? the car quite literally is among the fastest production cars ever.

the hate for the camaro is no more childish than all the the talk about how 200hp is a joke.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
Ganthrithor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
how is it gimmicky? the car quite literally is among the fastest production cars ever.

the hate for the camaro is no more childish than all the the talk about how 200hp is a joke.
How is a ~*road*~ car that's entire selling point is that it can do mach 3 not a gimmick?

I'm not hating on the Camaro (although it's certainly not my kind of car), just arguing that classifying it as a "sports car" is a bit odd.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
a2cpc

Drives: WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Veyron and others of its ilk...Supercars
Camaro, Mustang and the like...Big ass Sports cars
BRZ, Miata, Lotus...Sports cars.
a2cpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
A tank on the street ? With the power to rival sport car frs ? Wouldnt you feel safer in the Camaro ?
My old Sensei had a saying:

"The best defense is not being there."
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
How is a ~*road*~ car that's entire selling point is that it can do mach 3 not a gimmick?

I'm not hating on the Camaro (although it's certainly not my kind of car), just arguing that classifying it as a "sports car" is a bit odd.
well that top speed is a little gimmicky but no more gimmicky than how hardcore the center of gravity or coeffecient of drag of the frs was marketed. at the end of the day the veyron is still something that is crazy fast.

that last comment wasnt really directed at any one in particular but regarding the overall tone of this post. i think the zl1 deserves to be in the conversation especially considering the current climate of the sports car industry. if you make the sports car class so exclusive, any of these awards become meaningless. its not that cool being sports car of the year when its the only sports car that came out this year.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #23
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
You are absolutely right. I remember there was an article on the Camaro being a Dead coffin on wheel around the internet. I didn't believe it, and yes, I did ride in them. They have the worst Visibility from all the cars I have driven up to date!
*shrugs* I can't see shit out of my frs. Every new car is like that now.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
well that top speed is a little gimmicky but no more gimmicky than how hardcore the center of gravity or coeffecient of drag of the frs was marketed. at the end of the day the veyron is still something that is crazy fast.

that last comment wasnt really directed at any one in particular but regarding the overall tone of this post. i think the zl1 deserves to be in the conversation especially considering the current climate of the sports car industry. if you make the sports car class so exclusive, any of these awards become meaningless. its not that cool being sports car of the year when its the only sports car that came out this year.
I agree with you. We tend to be a bit elitest here regarding the 86 with some of us thinking the twins are the greatest thing since sliced cheese (but it is, right? ) I personally wouldn't buy a ZL1 since I still think American cars are generally POSs, but who is anyone to say it isn't a Sports Car? Sports Car has evolved to be such an ambiguous term, but you can't argue that a car that is capable of 12 sec 1/4 mile times isn't a sports car.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #25
cslntuee

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The thought is that they're great for everyday driving, performance pads (the ones you would upgrade to use on the track anyway) aren't so great for daily driving, you're going to upgrade them anyway so why make you pay more for something you'd likely swap out anyway?

Lots of little things like that going on in the car like the interior plastics or radio, good enough for everyday use, if you're going to make it a racecar or pimpmobile you'll throw it all out anyway no matter how good it is.

Will upgrade to stainless steel brakeline be useful for daily driving(BRZ)?

Thanks.

Last edited by cslntuee; 05-22-2013 at 07:37 PM.
cslntuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #26
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslntuee View Post
Will the brake line the useful upgrade for daily driving(BRZ)?
Thanks.
I have no idea what you're asking but I'll take a guess:

"Will upgrading the brake lines be useful for daily driving?"

The answer is probably not, you won't feel very much difference and if performance is an issue (your brakes are overheating, which is the only reason to "upgrade" because they have more than enough "stopping power" in stock configuration) then you're probably driving much too aggressively for public roads.

Even for track use I don't think the brake lines need to be upgraded, many people use a high temp brake fluid and pads for track use and swap between the OEM pads and track pads before hitting the track or heading home.

Unless you're in a high competition arena and you're running the car hard enough to need the upgrade, in which case you probably wouldn't be asking here.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
cslntuee (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #27
Ganthrithor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
I agree with you. We tend to be a bit elitest here regarding the 86 with some of us thinking the twins are the greatest thing since sliced cheese (but it is, right? ) I personally wouldn't buy a ZL1 since I still think American cars are generally POSs, but who is anyone to say it isn't a Sports Car? Sports Car has evolved to be such an ambiguous term, but you can't argue that a car that is capable of 12 sec 1/4 mile times isn't a sports car.
I don't think you can call a car a sports car based on absolute performance stats. Personally I think the term "sports car" should refer to a car that prioritizes involving the driver in the act of performance driving. I don't think they have to be high-performance cars-- although they certainly can be-- but I do not think that big cars which abstract the driving experience through layers of computerization should be considered sports cars.

That's just me though-- I'm that guy who doesn't "get" GT-Rs, etc. When I think sports car I think Miata, Elise (and other small British roadsters), pre-GT car 911s, 914s, RX-7/8s, S2ks, the twins, etc: all cars that were reasonably small, sporty, and provided a pretty pure driving experience. Some of these were fast cars and some were slow cars, but they all focused primarily on driving as an activity as opposed to pure performance.

I don't really know what to call the Camaro. The obvious category is "muscle car" but from what I've seen / read they apparently handle quite well (albeit through the use of tons of clever electronics). I'd say its too big, heavy, and computerized to be a sports car, too unrefined to make a good GT car, and too refined to be a classical muscle car. Idk, it's a mystery.

Just my 0.02 filthy American dollars.

Last edited by Ganthrithor; 05-23-2013 at 03:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (05-23-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I'm not a Camaro fan at all (it simply doesn't do it for me) but...

Quote:

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laika For This Useful Post:
Giccin (05-24-2013)

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums