follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2014, 02:25 AM   #29
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The only thing refraining me from running a tablet is how welcoming they make your car to thieves. Would suck to come back to your car only to be greeted with a smashed window and tablet gone. It's actually the window I would be more pissed about than the stolen tablet.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #30
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
The only thing refraining me from running a tablet is how welcoming they make your car to thieves. Would suck to come back to your car only to be greeted with a smashed window and tablet gone. It's actually the window I would be more pissed about than the stolen tablet.
Whenever I get out of the car, I take my phablet out of its cradle and slip it into the bottle holder in the door. You can't really see it in there unless you already know where to look. To most thieves my car would just look like it had a couple of empty phone cradles.

Can't do that with a Nexus. Another score for the Note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Obd2 over bt would be a very flakey way to do it even with torque. There are plenty of bugs enough where it would be a fussy dash solution and I have spent years with it in dash.
Meh. I haven't noticed any significant bugs with mine. If I were tracking the car I would go with a full gauge panel, but this works just fine for NA street applications.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #31
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Somebody needs to ignore Osiris and put this in:

Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #32
Tromatic
Banned

Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Obd2 over bt would be a very flakey way to do it even with torque. There are plenty of bugs enough where it would be a fussy dash solution and I have spent years with it in dash.

You'd need something like this and piggy back ecu to really do what you wanted. But its so over kill for a street car.

http://www.cosworth.com/products/rac...hes/omega-icd/
No bugs here. I'm quite happy with the way this looks and works. I can imagine somebody might be thinking of an LCD dash kit for the FR-S, but it would not be cheap, and I suspect it would be ugly and hard to read because racecar.

Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:16 AM   #33
Dezoris

Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
No bugs here. I'm quite happy with the way this looks and works. I can imagine somebody might be thinking of an LCD dash kit for the FR-S, but it would not be cheap, and I suspect it would be ugly and hard to read because racecar.

I am talking about a gauge cluster replacement. Its just not fast or accurate enough for some functions. Like RPM for example, even with OBD2 MX with fast com there is la it can be 500RPM off compared to real data logging at higher rpm. Tested vs. Ecutek logs as well.

Then you have the BT sleep state and check engine lights if the adapter is not off sometimes.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:21 AM   #34
illicitstylz

Drives: 2014 FRS - Whiteout - 6spd MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
what would you guys think about cutting an opening in the dash panel and mounting a phone/tablet within that opening.

it could be hardwired into the car with all the wiring tucked behind the dash panel as well.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #35
FRS-86

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S (AT)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Seems a tablet running Torque has far more flexibility as far as what you can display and how.

ETA: And you can also use Carista and access the things you can change regarding lights, sounds and the rest. DRL's off is worth the price of Carista just by itself.

How did you turned DRL off using Carista? I just instaled the app on my Nexus 7 and I cannot find that feature on customisation menu.
FRS-86 is offline   Reply With Quote