follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #225
quasi86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S m/t Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm just glad they did collaborate. The car would not be what it is without the expertise of both companies. The chassis and the boxer engine (Subaru) lay the ground work for the balance the car has and its handling ability. The direct injection and transmission (Toyota) is what put the smile on your face as you exit the corner!

I absolutely thank the car gods everyday I get to sick the key in the ignition. And I thank Toyota's money and new direction of passionate design, and Subaru's obsession and never wavering passion for sports cars (wrx, sti) for making it possible. And above all else affordable!

Perfect example new Porsche Boxter costs twice as much and only has 65 more HP!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #226
boead

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi86 View Post
I'm just glad they did collaborate. The car would not be what it is without the expertise of both companies. The chassis and the boxer engine (Subaru) lay the ground work for the balance the car has and its handling ability. The direct injection and transmission (Toyota) is what put the smile on your face as you exit the corner!

I absolutely thank the car gods everyday I get to sick the key in the ignition. And I thank Toyota's money and new direction of passionate design, and Subaru's obsession and never wavering passion for sports cars (wrx, sti) for making it possible. And above all else affordable!

Perfect example new Porsche Boxter costs twice as much and only has 65 more HP!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

What makes you think Suburu designed the chassis? From what Ive been reading that is NOT true at all!

Im not knocking Suburu. I could give a rats ass about them or any other, im NOT a fan boi for anyone!!! BUT I don't see Suburu having all that much to do with design. I keep reading how Toyota had to keep steering them away and into the direction THEY wanted which included and resulted in TOYOTA designing this car with Suburu commissioned to manufacture it.

The Toyota people don't have a lot of nice things to say about working with Suburu overall.

"...Originally, Subaru had rejected the plans of a rear wheel drive sports coupe, due to the rear wheel drive set up, and did not want to be part of the project, predominantly selling all wheel drive vehicles. However, Subaru did plan to provide the engine. Eventually the project came to a 6 month halt and was suspended before being revived again. Toyota eventually invited journalist and Subaru engineers to a vehicle test of its first 2008 prototype to show what it was capable of, which is believed to be one reason that Subaru changed their minds, being impressed with what they saw. This prototype led to the development of the FT-86 which was revealed in 2009..."
boead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #227
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Everytime someone argues toyota vs subaru, god throws a cel on a 86twin.

Seriously tho, and correct me if im wrong (im sure u will) i seem to recall hearing the chassis is a modified impreza chassis (which explains why the tranny bushings i have are labeled as impreza part numbers)

Tho im sure toyota could have made a balanced car w out a boxer engine (lotus DOES use a toyota 1.8 afterall)

Unless there is a 100% statement from toyota and subaru that agree w each other, the rest of these quotes and arguments are just hear say and mixed facts. Both companies did some portion of the work involved. Either way, we got great cars at a great price. Lets spend less time wondering and more time just enjoying the car! Damn lol, im going for a drive..
Old 04-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #228
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I catch alot of crap for saying nothing currently sold by Toyota or Subaru besides the FR-S/BRZ is worth my money. And I really believe that for the money of an STI I would get another used Maserati and have way more fun. In my honest opinion this car is a huge step up from both companies current line up and I'm glad they came together to get customers excited once again to own their cars.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #229
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
I catch alot of crap for saying nothing currently sold by Toyota or Subaru besides the FR-S/BRZ is worth my money. And I really believe that for the money of an STI I would get another used Maserati and have way more fun. In my honest opinion this car is a huge step up from both companies current line up and I'm glad they came together to get customers excited once again to own their cars.

I get crap just for praising the twins and then get accused of being a fanboy.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brzetto For This Useful Post:
Skye (04-22-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #230
xbreed

Drives: 2013 CBS BRZ Limited
Even so, life isn't easy for Subaru or its corporate parent, Japan's Fuji Heavy Industries. They are minnows in an industry where size counts. Don't look in Subaru's lineup for any minicars the size of the Honda Fit or for full-size ones like the Toyota Avalon either. All Subaru cars and crossovers are based on just two platforms (General Motors (GM) has 30!), and the vehicles range in size only from subcompact to midsize. Subaru needed to form a partnership with Toyota (TM) to make the BRZ economical. Subaru did most of the engineering and provided the engine, but Toyota created the design and markets an almost identical version called the Scion FR-S

Read this. http://management.fortune.cnn.com/20...aru-best-cars/

What makes the BRZ/FRS so special? The Handling due to the low center of gravity provided by Subaru Engineering. Other wise you would just have another although better looking Scion tC.
xbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #231
boead

Drives: FR-S
Garage
Have you read this?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...hief-engineer/
boead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boead For This Useful Post:
BIGCUMBOY (04-24-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #232
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruBRZLimited View Post
I get crap just for praising the twins and then get accused of being a fanboy.
Yeah I get accused of being a fan boy when I talk about them as well. Then I remind them I hate Toyota and Subaru this is the only car from either company I like.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #233
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
^Fanboys.
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #234
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
^Fanboys.
The worse part is when it comes to Ferrari and Maserati I really am. I have only owned a 308 and a Gran Turismo both I got used and dramatically lower than the original sale price but the Ferrari was awesome (but a money pit) and the Maserati I still have and love. For the price of an STI a used Maserati Spyder is way better choice for a fun fast car in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #235
Ryeong86

Drives: 2015 Sti Launch Edition
Garage
I just tell them, I don't give a shit. i just like my car because it handles well and allows me to get 1st place in C-Stock and 9th fastest time of the day.
Ryeong86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryeong86 For This Useful Post:
Accurate Race Shop (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #236
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
oh my god this thread!
F**K SUBARU AND F**K SCION/TOYOTA! I love my BRZ.

*Signed by BRZ ♥'er*

ps
Not a fanboy, just a BRZ fan. :p
Old 04-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #237
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
Yeah I get accused of being a fan boy when I talk about them as well. Then I remind them I hate Toyota and Subaru this is the only car from either company I like.

I used to hate Toyota with a passion but now they pulled their head out of their butt and started designing nicer cars with power and rwd drivetrains, I never hated Subaru but a permanent awd drivetrain isn't something I really want even though I liked the WRX I'd probably never buy one. The BRZ broke the mold, it's a Subaru with rwd. It kind of reminds me of the Type RS RX-7, except the boxer isn't unreliable like the the Type RS' rotary was.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #238
Jinzen

Drives: Argento FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
oh my god this thread!
F**K SUBARU AND F**K SCION/TOYOTA! I love my BRZ.

*Signed by BRZ ♥'er*

ps
Not a fanboy, just a BRZ fan. :p
The car is a Toyota in spirit, absolutely. The model is called FT86...

It was Akio Toyoda's project, with a borrowed powerplant and suspension from Subaru. The other aspects are not Subaru at all (RWD, Transmission, Design and Chassis).

If this car had Subaru design, people wouldn't buy it. It would have been a hideous monstrosity.

I mean, otherwise, we'd all be buying WRX STIs.

/If I buy a BRZ, I'm putting Toyota badges on it.
Jinzen is offline   Reply With Quote