follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #29
M.I.A

Drives: N/a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
seems like they only extended the rear to make it practical, and minor changes to the rest of the concept car to production but I think it still looks good. I wonder how big it is compared to the juke
M.I.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #30
GhostRai
Rice Monkey

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
It looks quite large in the photos, but it is supposed to compete with cars like the Juke, so I'd like to see photos of it in person for a better perspective of the proportions, but so far I do like it, it looks more styled than I was expected.

"Why must everything that is broken be fixed?"
GhostRai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #31
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Need to see it in person but I like the no overhangs at either end look. If it's any fun to drive it has serious potential and will be on my list for next DD. If the business I'm trying to get started actually happens an awd hybrid with a bit of space in the back will be just what I need, if it's fun to be in it might just win.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #32
super-86

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Love the rear end. I'm glad it looks kind of like the concept, which looks great. Can't wait to see it in person, might be my next little suv.
super-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:05 AM   #33
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
New Toyota C-HR Gets 1.2L Turbo, 2.0L And 1.8L Hybrid Powertrains

Quote:
Toyota is entering the highly competitive yet lucrative subcompact SUV segment with the C-HR that was officially revealed today at the Geneva Motor Show.

The brand’s rival to the Honda HR-V, Nissan Juke and Mazda CX-3, remains fairly true to last year’s C-HR Concept with a distinctive, albeit overly busy design with cuts and creases, featuring a sloping, coupe-like roofline and hidden rear door handles.

Underpinning the C-HR is the flexible Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) shared with the Prius, which allowed the use of the latter’s gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain, making it the first of its kind in its class.

The 1.8-liter hybrid unit from the Prius delivers 122 horsepower with CO2 emissions of less than 90g/km, which Toyota says, is “unrivalled within its segment”.

Alternatively, the C-HR will be offered in Europe with the new 115PS (114hp) 1.2-liter turbocharged gasoline engine first used in the Auris, connected to a 6-speed manual gearbox or a Continuously Variable automatic Transmission system. It will also get a 2.0-liter CVT-only model, which the company said will be available for certain markets –not the UK, without naming them.

Toyota will launch the C-HR in North America early next year.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/new...o-20l-and.html

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #34
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
New Toyota C-HR Gets 1.2L Turbo, 2.0L And 1.8L Hybrid Powertrains [New Pics]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiogF2WA7C0[/ame]

Quote:
Toyota is entering the highly competitive yet lucrative subcompact SUV segment with the C-HR that was officially revealed today at the Geneva Motor Show.

The brand’s rival to the Honda HR-V, Nissan Juke and Mazda CX-3, remains fairly true to last year’s C-HR Concept with a distinctive, albeit overly busy design with cuts and creases, featuring a sloping, coupe-like roofline and hidden rear door handles.

Underpinning the C-HR is the flexible Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) shared with the Prius, which allowed the use of the latter’s gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain, making it the first of its kind in its class.

The 1.8-liter hybrid unit from the Prius delivers 122 horsepower with CO2 emissions of less than 90g/km, which Toyota says, is “unrivalled within its segment”.

Alternatively, the C-HR will be offered in Europe with the new 115PS (114hp) 1.2-liter turbocharged gasoline engine first used in the Auris, connected to a 6-speed manual gearbox or a Continuously Variable automatic Transmission system. It will also get a 2.0-liter CVT-only model, which the company said will be available for certain markets –not the UK, without naming them.

Toyota will launch the C-HR in North America early next year.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/new...o-20l-and.html

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-01-2016), gymratter (03-02-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #35
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Wondering what powertrains will end up in the U.S... Undoubtedly the North American 2016 Prius V's 1.8L i4 w/ 2 electric motors (134BHP/153 lbft TQ - 44/40 MPG) with a CVT will show up.

The article notes both a 1.2L i4 with MT and a 2.0L i4 with CVT as well, but those specs look to be more suited to Europe/Asia. Maaaybe the 2.0L if could work as the Honda HR-V, does with just a 1.8L i4, and little power itself. The Juke and Fiat 500x bring quite a bit more power to the table. In all, none of these compact CUVs are rockets, but they still need to be able to get out of their own way.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #36
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I think it looks pretty good in live photos. This car could have saved the Scion brand IMO. I could see them selling around 50k+ units a year.
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #37
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm a bit less disappointed the more I look at it.
Evaluated on its own, this is a nice design - aggressive and unique.
It's just that the concept looked so good (I'd say it could give the Range Rover Evoque a run for its money in the looks department) that the production version probably couldn't have lived up to it.

Looks like this would be a great family/stuff hauler for young families.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #38
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
I think it looks pretty good in live photos. This car could have saved the Scion brand IMO. I could see them selling around 50k+ units a year.
Politically, I'm suspicious about Scion's shutdown also being motivated by the benefits Toyota USA Executives and Dealers might expect when Scion's lineup is absorbed into Toyota USA's sales. This might have just as much to do with Scion's shutdown as the picture that Scion was a failed brand. Toyota USA just inherited 4 good to great cars that fill gaps in their product lineup and inject excitement into their overall portfolio.
The iA (Mazda 2) - Is probably the best subcompact sedan in the U.S.
The iM - Replaces the Matrix that was a hit for Toyota who now desperately needs a 5 door hatch in its' lineup.
The FR-S - Is the ONLY lightweight 2+2 sports car on the market outside of the Lotus Evora, and is a hit with critics that goes well beyond what the Celica ever was.
Now the CH-R - Is the CUV that replaces the RAV-4 as it has moved upmarket in cost/size while becoming more boring and mainstream.
If I'm a U.S. Toyota exec or Dealer without Scion in-house , I'm drooling at the prospect of getting 4 excellent cars in one year. It wouldn't surprise me if the same Toyota people were pushing hard to kill Scion as a brand just to get their hands on these models.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-02-2016), GhostRai (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #39
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Politically, I'm suspicious about Scion's shutdown also being motivated by the benefits Toyota USA Executives and Dealers might expect when Scion's lineup is absorbed into Toyota USA's sales. This might have just as much to do with Scion's shutdown as the picture that Scion was a failed brand. Toyota USA just inherited 4 good to great cars that fill gaps in their product lineup and inject excitement into their overall portfolio.
The iA (Mazda 2) - Is probably the best subcompact sedan in the U.S.
The iM - Replaces the Matrix that was a hit for Toyota who now desperately needs a 5 door hatch in its' lineup.
The FR-S - Is the ONLY lightweight 2+2 sports car on the market outside of the Lotus Evora, and is a hit with critics that goes well beyond what the Celica ever was.
Now the CH-R - Is the CUV that replaces the RAV-4 as it has moved upmarket in cost/size while becoming more boring and mainstream.
If I'm a U.S. Toyota exec or Dealer without Scion in-house , I'm drooling at the prospect of getting 4 excellent cars in one year. It wouldn't surprise me if the same Toyota people were pushing hard to kill Scion as a brand just to get their hands on these models.
You may be right. Scion was conceived to bring younger buyers into the Toyota fold at a time when the Toyota line up was a good cure for insomnia.
However, with the direction that Toyota has been taking in the last 5 years or so (towards sportier, or at least more interesting vehicles), the value of Scion has become questionable - especially when you have to maintain the logistics of a separate brand (even if it is sold in the same building as Toyota's line up).

And lay off the Celica - it had history and pedigree that go beyond the 6th and 7th gen as a WRC champ
I think if Toyota hadn't left it(and the MR2 Spyder) to die by limiting aftermarket support, making the ECU un-hackable, etc., it could've put up a better fight against the RSX.
I still think the 7th gen Celica looked great for its time, and stacks up pretty well against today's cars.
Again, that was emblematic of the late-90s/early-aughts Toyota, which was basically novocaine-on-wheels.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #40
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I can dig it. The only thing I don't like is the high rear door handle.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:38 PM   #41
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Yeah that rear door handle is stupid. Those tiny windows on the rear door are stupid too. I get that it makes the car look great but that car is making camaro sacrifices for looks.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #42
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I can dig it. The only thing I don't like is the high rear door handle.
You know why the read door handle is positioned there? Because hipsters and vegans. There is no reason why they want it, they just want it.