follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Kenji

Drives: RX8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Any cars debuting at Detroit NAIAS a competitor for FT-86?

So I see the Detroit NAIAS just started. Anyone know of any cars being introduced at the show this week that could be a competitor to the FT-86?

Its too bad the FT86 won't itself be at the show.
Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
FormulaJDM

Drives: 98 ITR
I guess the FT will be shown at either the Chicago or New York show?
FormulaJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Hopefully NY. It will probably be at the TAS hence why it isn't in the motor city.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
MtnDrvr86

Drives: 2002 honda civic ex
as far as ive seen so far the closest competitors are the 2012 focus and jetta coupe concept...maybe that pugeot convertible
MtnDrvr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDrvr86 View Post
as far as ive seen so far the closest competitors are the 2012 focus and jetta coupe concept...maybe that pugeot convertible
Isn't Ford Fiesta wasn't there?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
So I see the Detroit NAIAS just started. Anyone know of any cars being introduced at the show this week that could be a competitor to the FT-86?

Its too bad the FT86 won't itself be at the show.
I know how you feel I was hoping FT86 will be in the LA autoshow also

I'll predict geneva auto show will see something more about maybe the production, don't hold me on this I just have a feeling+its a toyota europe design development is the concept creator so maybe.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
TRDMAN

Drives: 08 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD
Coyote Mustang. omg i want that car. 400 hp & 25 MPG
TRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
Ground N Pound

Drives: S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
I know how you feel I was hoping FT86 will be in the LA autoshow also

I'll predict geneva auto show will see something more about maybe the production, don't hold me on this I just have a feeling+its a toyota europe design development is the concept creator so maybe.
Hope so! Geneva is only a couple of months away.

To answer the OP's question, I haven't seen any new cars at Detroit that really compete with the FT-86. The CR-Z might be the closest thing? But that car is a porker for its low powered engine (122hp / 128tq) and doesn't even get good gas mileage for a hybrid. What a disappointment that car was for the enthusiast Wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing all the direct FT-86 competitors rumored to be in the works (Nissan 240sx / Silvia)
Ground N Pound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
http://www.insideline.com/audi/audi-...-are-hazy.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/12/d...production-r4/

While not exactly a competitior to the FT-86 due to the price, weight, and mid-engine layout for some reason I like the Audi e-tron detroit concept. It's 2976lbs with a wheelbase of 95.6 inches. The production version will be called the R4 and will probably come with a turbo 4 or the turbo inline 5 from the ttr-s mounted mid ship. No mention of whether it will be RWD or AWD, but knowing Audi, quattro awd will definately be an option at some point. Think of it like a baby R8. There are a lot of wild rumors about it possibly slotting in under the Audi TT and being priced in the low 30k usd. It's still heavy though.

Last edited by zigzagz94; 01-12-2010 at 11:08 PM.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
http://www.insideline.com/audi/audi-...-are-hazy.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/12/d...production-r4/

While not exactly a competitior to the FT-86 due to the price, weight, and mid-engine layout for some reason I like the Audi e-tron detroit concept. It's 2976lbs with a wheelbase of 95.6 inches. The production version will be called the R4 and will probably come with a turbo 4 or the turbo inline 5 from the ttr-s mounted mid ship. No mention of whether it will be RWD or AWD, but knowing Audi, quattro awd will definately be an option at some point. Think of it like a baby R8. There are a lot of wild rumors about it possibly slotting in under the Audi TT and being priced in the low 30k usd. It's still heavy though.
No way it's gonna be cheaper than a TT. In fact, it's hard to figure out why this exists when the TT is already in the lineup.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
imo, the closest competitor to the FT86 for the first few years will probably only be the Miata.

Sure there's a couple of fronter's coming out, but I don't consider different drivetrains as 'direct' competitors.

I almost guarantee that Nissan will not allow Toyota to soak up all the glory in this market segment. They'll do something about it sooner than later.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
No way it's gonna be cheaper than a TT. In fact, it's hard to figure out why this exists when the TT is already in the lineup.
TT is $40,000+ fwd/AWD 2+2 "secretary coupe" that is more about style over performance (except for the TTS and TT-RS) where as this would be a RWD/AWD pure 2 seater sports car for low 30k. Two differnet demographics.

http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen...bluesport.html

Also I think this is being mandated by the VW overlords who are intent on building their Bluesport concept car which along with the rumored "entry level" sub boxster/cayman neo 914 porsche will be built on the same platform. Basically VW wanted a small mid-engined sportscar and in order to justify the R&D costs they have forced versions on both Audi and Porsche. At least that is what I was told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys
Sure there's a couple of fronter's coming out, but I don't consider different drivetrains as 'direct' competitors.

I almost guarantee that Nissan will not allow Toyota to soak up all the glory in this market segment. They'll do something about it sooner than later.
This Audi R4 may not be a direct competitor to the RWD Toyota FT-86 but if the turbocharged awd subaru 216a rumors are true then this car would be a direct competitor to the subie.

Notice the vw bluesport concept was RWD, around 2600lbs, and had similar dimensions to the FT-86. Of course that was a convertible and this Audi version would be a coupe which may or may not get a quattro awd version. All too early to tell. But the OP was asking for any competitors from the Detroit show and this is probably the closest thing.

I do agree that Nissan will not let this afront stand for too long:
apparently the nissan urge concept from 2006 has been spotted again recently...
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/13/2...ed-on-trailer/

And just to be clear I'm still buying an FT-86.

Last edited by zigzagz94; 01-13-2010 at 10:51 PM.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:22 AM   #13
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
TT is $40,000+ fwd/AWD 2+2 "secretary coupe" that is more about style over performance (except for the TTS and TT-RS) where as this would be a RWD/AWD pure 2 seater sports car for low 30k. Two differnet demographics.

http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen...bluesport.html

Also I think this is being mandated by the VW overlords who are intent on building their Bluesport concept car which along with the rumored "entry level" sub boxster/cayman neo 914 porsche will be built on the same platform. Basically VW wanted a small mid-engined sportscar and in order to justify the R&D costs they have forced versions on both Audi and Porsche. At least that is what I was told.
It's an Audi. You know it's gonna be AWD. Furthermore, the last mid engine sports car to cost less than $30k was the MR2.

Pure 2 seater sports car...
Old 01-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
alex2364

Drives: '07 S2000
I believe the closest car competing with the FT-86 will be the BMW Z2 coming out in 2012.
alex2364 is offline   Reply With Quote