follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Have you had an issue with your Direct Injection System?
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 10 12.35%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 2 2.47%
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 31 38.27%
I have had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 3 3.70%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Subaru) 7 8.64%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Toyota) 14 17.28%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Subaru) 8 9.88%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Toyota) 6 7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #155
rx3

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jamesm, you should be able to guess that number, since you know the number of members on this forum.

Let's say 10% of all members have seen this thread, then less than 1% of all cars are affected by it (assuming all members who are affect by it have participated in this poll).
rx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #156
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I want to know if a single automatic has been affected. The shift points are different the stock tunes ran more rich up top compared to the stock mt tunes.
neutron256 (08-28-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #157
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Just got back from my euro trip, and got a full day at the nurburgring and a chance to talk to the Bjorn from http://www.rentracecar.de. Rentaracecar uses the toyobaru platform for some of their rentals. I asked Bjorn if they had had any trouble with the cars and he said two of the cars were at the shop for direct injection issues. He mentioned that all of the GT-86 rent cars had suffered this issue as well as spark plug related problems, he said they are anxious to get rid of them. Being this the case they only had two GT86's available and they were both rented, cant complain though i got to drive the Sirocco cup car and even though its FWD it was quite fast and fun. This confirmed my fear that even cars in cold weather are going to start to see this issue.

Bristecom (07-07-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #158
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
Just got back from my euro trip, and got a full day at the nurburgring and a chance to talk to the Bjorn from http://www.rentracecar.de. Rentaracecar uses the toyobaru platform for some of their rentals. I asked Bjorn if they had had any trouble with the cars and he said two of the cars were at the shop for direct injection issues. He mentioned that all of the GT-86 rent cars had suffered this issue as well as spark plug related problems, he said they are anxious to get rid of them. Being this the case they only had two GT86's available and they were both rented, cant complain though i got to drive the Sirocco cup car and even though its FWD it was quite fast and fun. This confirmed my fear that even cars in cold weather are going to start to see this issue.

Well, that sucks. I wonder what the members, *cough Toyota employees, defending the denial of warranty for the guys having seal and detonation issues are going to say now...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #159
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post

This post should be at the front page of this forum. It is a direct indicator of what all of us will be facing as we pass warranty.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #160
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Super news, what were the issues with spark plugs, obviously just melting down?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #161
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I wonder when Toyota and Subaru are going to address this problem. Can someone take note of this and get this issue published on a major website such as Autoblog and Jalopnik?
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #162
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
sub'd....interesting to see how this turns out. Judging by the poll, it doesn't sound very common and there are A LOT of people tracking these cars.

Last edited by suaveflooder; 07-07-2013 at 05:08 AM.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #163
OnkelC

Drives: 2017 Fiesta ST
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Well, Rent a Racecar cars suffer from a lot of abuse in the first place:
[ame]http://youtu.be/BMzTpsKua-I[/ame]
OnkelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #164
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellslinger View Post
I wonder when Toyota and Subaru are going to address this problem. Can someone take note of this and get this issue published on a major website such as Autoblog and Jalopnik?
Its time to take the issue public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
sub'd....interesting to see how this turns out. Judging by the poll, it doesn't sound very common and there are A LOT of people tracking these cars.
Not as many people are tracking these as you think and they are short sessions. The track/autocross forum here is pretty stagnant compared to a Miata forum. The power users like cgsmike are the ones falling victim first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnkelC View Post

Every car failed. Its an ideal accelerated wear test. All this means is if you drive spirited it will affect you eventually, how many miles is the only question.

With engines seizing from this I don't blame that rental company from dropping the twins, that is a serious safety hazard not only on the track but on the street.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #165
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
so, in summary

should i add mechanical break down coverage from insurance company for <$10 a month, stop worrying and beat the car silly?
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #166
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnkelC View Post
I guess the driver was either terrible in that video or the car isn't as neutral around corners. Looked like understeer to me.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #167
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
so, in summary

should i add mechanical break down coverage from insurance company for <$10 a month, stop worrying and beat the car silly?
I would think if your car is stock and under warranty you shouldn't worry but after the warranty time expires you should jump on that coverage. I need to check if my insurance has the same thing.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #168
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I would think if your car is stock and under warranty you shouldn't worry but after the warranty time expires you should jump on that coverage. I need to check if my insurance has the same thing.

Isn't that sort of coverage only good if your engine completely breaks down? If you are astute to your engine making odd noises and bring it in they will probably just call this normal wear and tear?

One scenario is enough people complain and they fix this issue by the 2015 MY and those of us who drive "aggressively" will throw a rod and get a good engine before the 5 years is up. Definitely document oil changes and pay for the 30k mile service racket

Better would be to find a tuner to develop a conservative 99.999% detonation free tune, not just modify the transient retard table but really dive deep into preventing detonation to the point that the knock correction index is not a factor.

I think Toyotas hands are tied with emission promises, I'm looking at investing in BRZ-edit and fix the transient ignition, make closed loop as minimal as possible, find the right spots to pull timing and add fuel. But need fresh O-rings first. Shouldn't be that difficult. If someone figures it out hopefully it will be shared with the community.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights

Tags
direct injector, engine, failure, meet regal's paranoia, poll, regal's witch hunt, regalnoia, seal, sealions, silly sausage