follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-31-2013, 12:59 AM   #43
72widebody

Drives: 2015 Subraru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2cpc View Post
The only yanking I saw was to correct the two cars' innate handling traits and they both have there problems. The two cars demand different driving styles to be driven fast and I am not sure we was good at both.

He was a bit quick to use the old Scandinavian flick, probably in an effort to make look more dramatic for the camera. With no camera on and more attention to smooth driving and less drifting, he could have gotten more out of both cars.
72widebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #44
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
LOL that you guys think a different suspension and other stuff makes the Fiesta any less of a economy car. It's still an economy car just with a better suspension setup.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:56 AM   #45
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzetto View Post
LOL that you guys think a different suspension and other stuff makes the Fiesta any less of a economy car. It's still an economy car just with a better suspension setup.
just out of curiosity, what do you think the fundamental difference is between a sports car and an economy car?
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:15 AM   #46
Brzetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
just out of curiosity, what do you think the fundamental difference is between a sports car and an economy car?
Economy car: FWD, hatchback and or 4 doors, horsepower varies
Sports car: RWD(some had FWD), coupe, 2 doors, horsepower varies.

Last edited by Brzetto; 12-31-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #47
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Economy car: FWD, hatchback and or 4 doors, horsepower varies
Sports car: RWD(some have had FWD), coupe, 2 doors, horsepower varies.
i dont really know why you edited that wall of text but what you are contradicting all the shit talk you posted about the mustang while mentioning how the m4 is going to clean house.

i dont really mind that your viewpoints are crazy. what gets my attention is drawn by your inconsistency. i mean, by your definition above, the yaris hatch is more a sports car than the m4, evo, panamera s etc. is that really what you think?
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:54 AM   #48
Brzetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i dont really know why you edited that wall of text but what you are contradicting all the shit talk you posted about the mustang while mentioning how the m4 is going to clean house.

i dont really mind that your viewpoints are in my opinion crazy. what gets my attention is drawn by your inconsistency. i mean, by your definition above, the yaris hatch is more a sports car than the m4, evo, panamera s etc. is that really what you think?

I edited it because it was too much, the simpler post was better. The yaris is a fwd economy car, very few economy cars have 2 doors but that one does. For the record the only person that thinks any of what I've said is contradicting is you. I know what I said before and none of it said anything about the yaris being a sports car. Stop sniffing kitty litter, your interpretations are way off. Btw the Panamera isn't a sports car, it's a luxury four door saloon, just like the Lancer Evolution is a rally car not a sports car.

I don't like batshit crazy people, stalk someone else.

Last edited by Brzetto; 12-31-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #49
acg2010

Drives: 4 wheels/engine/seats
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As the fellas at top gear would point out - it's a hot hatch, not a sports car. Fast /= sports car. But, fast is still fast.
acg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #50
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
The yaris is a fwd economy car, very few economy cars have 2 doors but that one does.
A lot of the smaller economy cars have 2 doors. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of 2 door cars sold are economy cars or sporty versions of economy cars, rather than dedicated sports cars.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #51
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Economy car = FWD(civic)/AWD(impreza)/RWD(Ae86) car with main purpose of being economical in price/maintenance/mpg.

Sports Car = Rarely FWD(ITR)/RWD(FRS) car with main purpose of having sporting characteristics over things that isolates the driving experience, mainly is a 2 door sometimes lightweight low slung coupe with 2 seats or sometimes 2+2 seating. A low CoG design is also beneficial.

GT-Sports Coupes= RWD(G35coupe)/AWD(GT-R) car with main purpose of being somewhat sporting and quick and a large emphasis on grand touring amenities. They typically look like bigger sports cars with weight and size being one of its compromises.

Hot-hatches= typically FWD(GTI) car that is based on a economy car platform with modifications that gives it some fun characteristics over its basic sibling. Handling/exterior-interior bits and acceleration is typically its biggest upgrades.

The FRS strikes me as a economy sports car.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #52
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi86 View Post
The ford fiesta is an economy car that they slapped a turbo in it and called it a sports car.

The FR-S/BRZ is a sports car. Built from the ground up for handling and rear drive fun.

These cars are from different planets. The only thing in common is the price.

Which one are you going to get excited about driving every time you walk up to it?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I have to agree with this perspective and I actually have no disrepect for the Fiesta. Ford has added significant engineering improvements to the base car resulting in a really decent performance / $ ratio.

But my gut reaction to each of these cars is still exactly what Quasi stated above mostly because the twin's design mimics the appearance of several world renown sports coupes (just smaller) and the Fiesta looks more ordinary. It's not just a "hot hatch" issue either because I have seen a few European examples that just scream performance even while sitting still.

As far as decision though, others have said many times already, Purpose should dictate choice.....for me I never planned to track a tricycle.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #53
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
I have to agree with this perspective and I actually have no disrepect for the Fiesta. Ford has added significant engineering improvements to the base car resulting in a really decent performance / $ ratio.

But my gut reaction to each of these cars is still exactly what Quasi stated above mostly because the twin's design mimics the appearance of several world renown sports coupes (just smaller) and the Fiesta looks more ordinary. It's not just a "hot hatch" issue either because I have seen a few European examples that just scream performance even while sitting still.

As far as decision though, others have said many times already, Purpose should dictate choice.....for me I never planned to track a tricycle.
Nicely put.

There is a lot of Ford hate on this forum - not sure if it directed to Ford or just the "JDM preference" since the twins are imports.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #54
R.S-HawK
Banned

Drives: '13 Gen Coupe 3.8 R
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
RWD. Sports Car.

/thread
R.S-HawK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #55
Jvalich

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ Limited
I test drove the FRS and the Focus ST. I sold my Corvette C6 just before as my son was going on my insurance and $ just too high. I purchased the BRZ over the FRS because Scion wanted a "market adjustment". The Focus ST dropped of the list after the FRS test drive because the FRS connects with the driver a whole lot ,IMHO, over the "performance" enhanced Focus. Thought about another Corvette but the interior quality of the Chevy was just lacking. That was my only gripe about my previous C6... plastic crap that always seemed to rattle.

On last months trip to Chicago almost came home in a new C7 vette, but the square ass-end tail lights just don't do it...too camaro. My BRZ makes me happy.

Oh, ya, the comments from people about the looks and style of the BRZ makes me feel good and I don't think you would get that from a Focus/Fiesta ST. Just a nice added perk to the fun factor of the BRZ
K&N filter, Meagan Racing Strut Bar, P&L Motorsports SS Brake lines
Jvalich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jvalich For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-01-2014)
Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #56
fourvalleys
Howdy!

Drives: Party ST, Classic Mini
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A lot of the reason I didn't pick up a Focus ST had to do with the features for the price. I've put some good miles on friends' cars, and the Focus ST is one of the most fun newer cars I've driven. The BRZ is also fun in a different way. However, to get a Focus ST with navigation and all the goodies would have been a few thousand more, easily - even with incentives.

I would have had to think a lot harder if the Fiesta ST was available when I needed a car. Loaded they're optioned and priced similarly to the BRZ. The optional Recaros look GREAT and are comfortable unless you're bigger. The seating position is VERY upright and causes a very different driving feel. That made an even bigger difference to me than the RWD/FWD debate. If you don't feel comfortable sitting still, good luck feeling comfortable while you're on the move.
fourvalleys is offline   Reply With Quote