follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #29
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Cuz these old lights probably had much better contrast than LEDs can ever hope for.
Oh, yes, I DO remember upgrading lighting systems -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #30
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
….And if you leave the stock high beams in, you will also retain your DRL.
Swapping a LED bulb in high beams will not dim down for DRL use so, you have to disable the DRL .
Hmmm, thanks for this. I have a set of LEDs (both low and high) I bought when they were on sale recently on Amazon. Was planning on swapping them out to try them, but didn't think about the high beams not dimming for DRL (duh).

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #31
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
If only they had such fancy lighting...

Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #32
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Hmmm, thanks for this. I have a set of LEDs (both low and high) I bought when they were on sale recently on Amazon. Was planning on swapping them out to try them, but didn't think about the high beams not dimming for DRL (duh).
Super easy fix to disable them if you go for the highs too. At the drivers side in front you pop out 3-4 plastic snap rivets and 1 hex heads screw and pull that cover down.
Right above it is what looks like a heat sink connected to a plug. You just pull out the plug and no DRL.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #33
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
An LED bulb lights up an entire diode, which is much bigger than either the halogen or xenon light source.
I've seen a trend starting with LEDs to specify how thin they are. Seems they are realizing the light needs to be as tight as possible. I have some LEDs in mine and for sure they aren't as bright as the halogens. I think people confuse color temp with brightness. Mine aren't so dim that it's really a problem and I like the color so I suck it up. I am tempted to try some newer bulbs that are smaller and brighter to see if it's any closer to the halogens.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #34
ermax

Quote:
I have a massive amount of more light on the sides and it pushes out much further too. It cuts off exactly like it's supposed to and I don't blind anybody.
I have LEDs in mine but I don't have massive amounts of light. It does seem to cover the sides a little better. My cut off is crystal clear but I don't have the heavy hotspots that I did with the halogens which is why it isn't casting down the road as well as the halogens. This has to do with the light not being as close to the center as a halogen.

I put mine in the road and walked 10 houses down to be sure I wasn't blinding people and it looks perfect. I didn't want to be like a Jeep owner you know. Hahaha
Old 01-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #35
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLSSUU View Post
In no way am I an expert however in my recent experience I'll take LED over the HID aftermarket systems. Specific to my kids FRS we installed the Moriomoto Two-Stroke 2.0 LED bulbs and are very happy with the light output. Conversely, I also installed a HID setup in my daughters car along with all accouterments (anti-flicker, relays etc) to make the system full-proof. The HID setup has been such a pain in the ass that I uninstalled and am ordering the Morimoto Two-Strokes.
The Two-Stroke is noted for being really thin so your results will probably be better than the average LED on Amazon.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #36
ermax

Quote:
Super easy fix to disable them if you go for the highs too. At the drivers side in front you pop out 3-4 plastic snap rivets and 1 hex heads screw and pull that cover down.
Right above it is what looks like a heat sink connected to a plug. You just pull out the plug and no DRL.
You can do it with software over the OBD2 port along with many other settings, passenger seat belt warning being the most significant.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-13-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #37
ermax

LED Headlights Vs HID?

So I replaced my current LEDs with these ultra cheap LEDs:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bjYYevT2

$23 for the pair. They are basically a knock of off these $89 LEDs:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6Z..._HMZDCbPX5Q78F

I figured at this price I might as well get them for the low beams and high beams. I was super skeptical of putting LEDs in the high beam but these things are bright as hell. The low beams are also much brighter than my previous LEDs. LEDs have certainly improved in the past year or so. The claim to fame on these is the LEDs are super thin and the mounting surface is also very thin which focuses the light closer to the center like a halogen does. Obviously they will never get the light dead center but it’s much closer than my previous LEDs.

I also parked at a wall and used tape to aim them based on the ISO standard and the cut off is perfect with no random stuff up high. I also parked the car on the road and went down several houses and on the other side to simulate an oncoming car and they weren’t blinding at all.

Long story short, if someone wants to give LEDs a shot these are a cheap option. Only thing that sucks is they ship direct from China so it takes a while (around 15 days). In my case I ordered right before the Chinese New Year so they took over 30 days to show up. I rarely order form ALI Express but it never fails that when I do it’s Chinese New Year.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #38
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
What is a ricer again? Is it an anti-Asian thing or just a term for people who buy and modify Asian cars?
Bingo.

I'm pretty sure it stems from the "I only buy American" crowd referring to japanese cars as "rice burners". Then, people put gaudy racing-inspired parts on those "rice burners" and instead of racers, they're "ricers".

Personally, I wish people would stop saying it. Even if it isn't really meant in a racist way nowadays, the term is still pretty racist in origin.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #39
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
Bingo.

I'm pretty sure it stems from the "I only buy American" crowd referring to japanese cars as "rice burners". Then, people put gaudy racing-inspired parts on those "rice burners" and instead of racers, they're "ricers".

Personally, I wish people would stop saying it. Even if it isn't really meant in a racist way nowadays, the term is still pretty racist in origin.
The term "rice burner" started in the mid 70s but was mainly aimed at the new influx of Japanese motorcycles and was usually the Harley crowd throwing it around. Then when the Japanese cars started to make the big push here in the late 70s and early 80s it sort of got applied to them as well. Important to note that it applied to all Japanese cars not just modified ones. By the late 80s and early 90s it had evolved again and was applied modified cars and the people that modified them became "ricers".
Dadhawk (03-12-2019), ermax (03-12-2019), humfrz (03-13-2019), qcbaker (03-12-2019), x808drifter (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #40
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The term "rice burner" started in the mid 70s but was mainly aimed at the new influx of Japanese motorcycles and was usually the Harley crowd throwing it around. Then when the Japanese cars started to make the big push here in the late 70s and early 80s it sort of got applied to them as well. Important to note that it applied to all Japanese cars not just modified ones. By the late 80s and early 90s it had evolved again and was applied modified cars and the people that modified them became "ricers".
Perfect history lesson!
Old 03-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #41
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Perfect history lesson!
I sneered at the rice burners for about a decade!
Old 03-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #42
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I love my LED upgrade but I did plenty of searching on what to buy and how to install to keep from being "that guy". Unfortunately the way these things are sold to the public - not everyone is as research oriented as myself which creates a lot of "that guys".

When done right, they're great!

Good video on the good and bad: EDIT: These are "Sales" videos however they do relay a lot of great advice and examples. Worth watching for us NON-HID having plebs.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeaDrH0gXZk[/ame]

And this video is great because illustrates how different LEDs can be great or terrible with the OEM headlight housing and beam pattern.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZSNrvB_gEE[/ame]

Tags
hid, led