follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2014, 03:44 AM   #57
ichangeDoil

Drives: sion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Your example is a little extreme. With manufacturer warranties, the way it works is that they diagnose the problem, then call in a "warranty rep" from the region to inspect the car and review with the techs what the cause of problem was. If they can't show a direct link, as in literally a physical link between the mod and the damage, they will likely accept your claim.

Maybe I am taking things too literally, but In the case of an aftermarket intake affecting the transmission, there would have had to be something that showed, directly, that the intake had damaged the transmission. Without a dyno in the shop (which, last I checked, most shops don't have), they can't prove that the intake is creating enough HP/torque to damage the transmission.

There has to be solid data that shows the causality, or they are opening themselves up to lawsuits.
That's insane my cold air intake gives me like a grand total of 10 horsepower I doubtthat could hurt it I work at a dealership people bring they're frs in all the time complaining that the transmission is bad a few have gone out the main shift broke at 17 thousands miles he got a brand new trany but it's very true about different dealerships react to mods differently
ichangeDoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #58
ichangeDoil

Drives: sion FRS
Quote:
Your example is a little extreme. With manufacturer warranties, the way it works is that they diagnose the problem, then call in a "warranty rep" from the region to inspect the car and review with the techs what the cause of problem was. If they can't show a direct link, as in literally a physical link between the mod and the damage, they will likely accept your claim.

Maybe I am taking things too literally, but In the case of an aftermarket intake affecting the transmission, there would have had to be something that showed, directly, that the intake had damaged the transmission. Without a dyno in the shop (which, last I checked, most shops don't have), they can't prove that the intake is creating enough HP/torque to damage the transmission.

There has to be solid data that shows the causality, or they are opening themselves up to lawsuits.
If the stock transmission can't handle 10 extra horsepower from an intake than there is a factory problem and I hope the fix it for the TRD version comes out it comes stock with a turbo that's way more than 10 horsepower
ichangeDoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #59
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,768 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Whatever void the warranty, they want youre money end story.
Even if you accidentally use regular gas and the engine screw up, doesnt matter the miles/year warranty
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #60
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichangeDoil View Post
If the stock transmission can't handle 10 extra horsepower from an intake than there is a factory problem and I hope the fix it for the TRD version comes out it comes stock with a turbo that's way more than 10 horsepower
The stock components are designed to be used with the stock components.
Should they be able to take limited mods, increases or changes? Sure!
Should the manufacturer be responsible if you change something from stock specs and something else fails? No.
If they built every aspect of the car to a spec that could accept any and all possible mods (as some people seem to think they should) they would be so far out of the price range they are now that nobody would want them.
I am in no way anti mod but am realistic enough to understand that they are a company out to make a profit not a charity so if you mod your car and something breaks it is your responsibility to pay for it.
Ya gotta pay to play!
Old 10-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #61
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
So lemme get this straight.

I am looking to get a catless header (Borla UEL...V2 calm down). UNLESS I have engine issues to be positively blamed on the header. Warranty is good?

I went to service my vehicle at Subaru today. I asked a salesman not a serviceman, so answer isn't quite there, he said that just if they see it it will void warranty..

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #62
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowReaper View Post
So lemme get this straight.

I am looking to get a catless header (Borla UEL...V2 calm down). UNLESS I have engine issues to be positively blamed on the header. Warranty is good?

I went to service my vehicle at Subaru today. I asked a salesman not a serviceman, so answer isn't quite there, he said that just if they see it it will void warranty..
Nothing "voids" the warranty but that term gets used a lot. They can deny you warranty if the part fails and cause an issue or can be blamed for something else failing. Headers can be touchy since they could be blamed for a few different failures. I am not saying they cause them but could be BLAMED if they stretched it far enough. The bigger issue there though is that if you get a header then you need to get a tune to go with it. Tunes can be blamed for many, many things that can go wrong with an engine and are almost a given for denial.
Now, some dealers are more mod friendly than others but modding is always a gamble when it comes to warranty.
86geek (10-13-2016), humfrz (10-12-2016), Sapphireho (10-12-2016)
Old 05-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #63
afn704

Drives: Red 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
People often use the Mag/Moss warranty act as ammunition, but it really depends on what you modified and what the issue is, and whether or not you would be willing to hire a lawyer if the dealer denies a claim.

I have done a lot of research on modifying cars under warranty, and what I have determined is that you should probably call your service manager at the dealer(s) where you would have your warranty work done and ask them directly.

Personally I would be very reluctant to mod the ECU on a car under warranty unless I was willing to take the risk of not having my engine covered for any type of failure.

Exhaust, intake, should be straight forward. But again, dealerships are all different. Some may see a younger guy with a car that has been modified and try to deny warranty work because they think you abused the car.

It would be nice if Toyota and Subaru offered manufacturer backed custom performance parts.

I have seen VW dealers that actually offer the ECU mod at their dealership and you retain your warranty.
Apparently my local VW dealership does the APR tune and you can have them done on your car and still retain the warranty. Now that is cool imo.
afn704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #64
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Nothing voids a warranty. It is illegal to have your warranty voided.
Claims may be denied. Nothing more. Anyone who tries to scare you at dealer level can be directed to speak with your lawyer.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #65
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Dam Goddit......read

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
Old 05-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #66
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
I'm just surprised that people feel the need to comment on a thread that is 1) old and 2) already has all this "new" information in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-06-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #67
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm just surprised that people feel the need to comment on a thread that is 1) old and 2) already has all this "new" information in it.
Even better is the people all posting here about voiding this or that never bothered to read the warranty booklet.

https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicl...ties-2016.html

Quote:
Cars Ineligible for Warranty Coverage

The vehicle is not eligible for warranty coverage if the vehicle identification number is altered or cannot be read; if the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage purposes; if the vehicle has been dismantled, destroyed or changed in such a manner that constitutes a material alteration of its original construction; if the odometer mileage has been changed so that mileage cannot be readily determined.
In every other situation the warranty is intact and the determination of whether it can be used to cover repairs is at the discretion of the dealer/manufacturer. Obviously consumers have a say in it but it's a long legal process should it go down that route...

Nothing is void until you destroy the car. Furthermore, the only way the warranty clause can be voided is if both parties agree to void it in writing.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 02:18 AM   #68
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
NOTHING voids the whole warranty in the US.

The only thing that I could see that would do it would be having the car declared "totaled".

Otherwise, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents a dealership from voiding your warranty due to a modification. The dealership has to show that the modification is the cause of the issue in order to deny a warranty claim. So they can't say no to fixing taillight condensation because you got aftermarket wheels. But they can deny your claim on a blown motor if you've had your ECU tuned.

So consider what you want to do with the car and what parts of the car are effected by your mods.
Exactly! Service writer at dealership told me about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. He said they have to prove the mod caused the engine issue or whatever the issue is. Aftermarket catback exhaust would be fine because it's bolted on. He did warn me changing out the header they will not honor warranty.

OP decide what you mods you want and go from there. Just my 2 cents!

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #69
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Exactly! Aftermarket catback exhaust would be fine because it's bolted on. He did warn me changing out the header they will not honor warranty.
Great, I knew gluing on my header would come back to haunt me! You're saying all I had to do was use the provided bolts in the box and
instead just bolt it on instead and the warranty would have remained intact? Should have used duct tape instead of the glue so it was easily removed.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #70
eddwvrd

Drives: Frs
So what if i change my headers to uel is that going to void my warranty? Or is it depeneds what causes the engine to fail? Anyways what uel would yall recommend the best that my cel wont show up?
eddwvrd is offline   Reply With Quote