follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
tanner

Drives: '10 S4/'13 BRZ/'16 GT4/E30 M3
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pressing/releasing clutch pedal - audible click sound (not the clutchs switch

Anybody notice this?

There's a click sound that comes and go that started to appear about week four with the car. Can't describe how loud it is but it's definitely a lot lot louder than that other faint click which most likely is the clutch switch (which I believe is used to detect if the clutch is depressed so the car can be started or to turn off the cruise control if it's in use).

This louder click seems to occur around the midpoint of the clutch pedal travel, either being depressed or released. It comes and go.

I'll bring it up when the car goes in for it's first oil change but that won't be anytime in the near future.
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Stierzy34
:unamused:

Drives: 2005 WRB STi "Edna"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Would be interesting to see what the dealership says about this with the BRZ.

My 2011 WRX did this same thing. Went on and off but would make a tiny click sound when pushing in or letting out.
Stierzy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have this noise too, but have not discussed it with the dealer yet. I test-drove a FRS and a BRZ before I purchased and both did this. I figured its normal.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
AlanLGuy

Drives: Raven 6 speed Manual FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
Anybody notice this?

There's a click sound that comes and go that started to appear about week four with the car. Can't describe how loud it is but it's definitely a lot lot louder than that other faint click which most likely is the clutch switch (which I believe is used to detect if the clutch is depressed so the car can be started or to turn off the cruise control if it's in use).

This louder click seems to occur around the midpoint of the clutch pedal travel, either being depressed or released. It comes and go.

I'll bring it up when the car goes in for it's first oil change but that won't be anytime in the near future.
Does this occur only when the clutch is pushed in or released or do you also hear this when letting off and on the throttle quickly? This almost sounds like the CV joint

2000 Celica GT-S - "Frankenstein" CAI, Boosted2.0 Ported Header, TRD Exhaust, ES Motor Mount Inserts, ES Suspension Bushings, Southbend TZ clutch, Fidanza Flywheel.
AlanLGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm having the same issue. I'm asking the dealer on my next service.
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
tanner

Drives: '10 S4/'13 BRZ/'16 GT4/E30 M3
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLGuy View Post
Does this occur only when the clutch is pushed in or released or do you also hear this when letting off and on the throttle quickly? This almost sounds like the CV joint
This happens regardless of what I'm doing. Actually shifting into another gear. At a stop light and in neutral. Car's off and I'm just pushing/depressing the clutch pedal.

Again, the sound comes and go, it's not consistent but it's occurring around the midpoint of the clutch pedal travel regardless if I'm depressing or releasing the clutch.

Problem is, like any dealer, for them to diagnose the issue the issue needs to be duplicated easily and since this comes and goes, it'll be a difficult one to point out. I guess you could try and record a video with the sound happening and show it to them which may help them to look into it.

Did look at an exploded view of the clutch pedal mechanism, could be anything right now on what's causing that click.
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
AlanLGuy

Drives: Raven 6 speed Manual FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
This happens regardless of what I'm doing. Actually shifting into another gear. At a stop light and in neutral. Car's off and I'm just pushing/depressing the clutch pedal.

Again, the sound comes and go, it's not consistent but it's occurring around the midpoint of the clutch pedal travel regardless if I'm depressing or releasing the clutch.

Well if its happening when the car is stationary and you are pressing and releasing the clutch pedal then it's definitely not the CV joint.

2000 Celica GT-S - "Frankenstein" CAI, Boosted2.0 Ported Header, TRD Exhaust, ES Motor Mount Inserts, ES Suspension Bushings, Southbend TZ clutch, Fidanza Flywheel.
AlanLGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have this but I don't care. Turn on the radio and

Just sounds like some kind of switch doesn't seem at all like something to be worried about so I don't...
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZionsWrath For This Useful Post:
Marchy (09-19-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Stierzy34
:unamused:

Drives: 2005 WRB STi "Edna"
Hmmm, after reading this thread I made sure I listened closely last night while driving the BRZ. It does the same thing that the WRX did. Maybe I just tuned it out so much I didn't even notice it!
Stierzy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
gatorbushmen
Amateur Drifter

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yea I just noticed the sound..... Has anything been figured out?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
dehydratedH2O

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited DGM
I signed up for these forums just because I've had this problem before (and my BRZ comes in next month ). On my 8th gen Civic, I got these exact noises from the clutch pedal. Apparently, cheaper cars these days use plastic clutch master cylinders that are prone to cracking/breaking. When that happens, the grease in the internal springs/bearings seeps out and causes it to start making noises. The Civic community fixed it by replacing the CMC with a metal one, or filled up the broken ones with white lithium grease as a temporary fix. For those of you with this noise, I'd bet asking your dealer to inspect the CMC will turn up a broken/cracked one and get you a replacement under warranty.
dehydratedH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Mine makes a "Zzzzt!" sound when I let out the clutch and get on the gas quickly...
Hope it's normal...
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Neekowahhhh
Enthusiast

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Pretty sure this is normal.. My rsx did the same thing.. So did my xb(yea.. Manual toaster)..
Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
I have this too, it sounds like it's coming from the clutch pedal, it's sounds more harsher than a click though. Like a few clicks simultaneously. I was wondering if it was an issue that should be brought up since I'm going to bring it to the dealer soon, I also have crickets.. I don't know if they'll do anything about them though but sounds like I have bad belts.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote