follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #281
fmsida

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
So are all these aftermarket systems the kind of thing a fairly inexperienced person could install themselves?
YES. All you need is basic sockets and a socket wrench. Maybe some ramps and/or jack stands. AND a "victory 6-pack of beer".

Honestly a noob should be able to do this. Just follow the simple instructions that GRIMMSPEED has posted in the "DIY" section.

Also a good a rule of thumb is to install a new part in the reverse order that you UN-installed the stock part.

BOOM! Enjoy!
fmsida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fmsida For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #282
Smudgeous

Drives: 2013 WRB 6MT BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Edit: Just rewatched the STI exhaust with tips similar to type B. I really don't like seeing the condensation on the slanted area where the inner tubing flares out while idling, so Type A for me

Last edited by Smudgeous; 07-14-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Smudgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #283
fmsida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudgeous View Post
Edit: Just rewatched the STI exhaust with tips similar to type B. I really don't like seeing the condensation on the slanted area where the inner tubing flares out while idling, so Type A for me
You're going to be driving the car, not watching. The condensation, if any, will be for a short amount of time, and this going to happen regardless if it's slanted or not.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #284
Smudgeous

Drives: 2013 WRB 6MT BRZ Ltd.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsida View Post
You're going to be driving the car, not watching. The condensation, if any, will be for a short amount of time, and this going to happen regardless if it's slanted or not.
Both styles are pretty much a wash aesthetically to me. The condensation will happen either way, but it's a lot more noticeable when it curls out of the smaller diameter pipe at the last inch or so of Type B. I also prefer the less-common option to start (my post originally request I get the loser of the poll's preferred tip).

When everything else is otherwise tied, it's the minutiae that decides the victor.
Smudgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #285
fmsida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudgeous View Post
Both styles are pretty much a wash aesthetically to me. The condensation will happen either way, but it's a lot more noticeable when it curls out of the smaller diameter pipe at the last inch or so of Type B. I also prefer the less-common option to start (my post originally request I get the loser of the poll's preferred tip).

When everything else is otherwise tied, it's the minutiae that decides the victor.
Agreed. Hopefully SRT will have both options available and even better if it's at the same price. I doubt the sound will change with either tip.

Mo - Tip A for him... and Tip B for me please

:happy0180:

Last edited by fmsida; 07-15-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #286
fsevofq400

Drives: Coming - ZC6 MT, SWP Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
YES. All you need is basic sockets and a socket wrench. Maybe some ramps and/or jack stands. AND a "victory 6-pack of beer".

Honestly a noob should be able to do this. Just follow the simple instructions that GRIMMSPEED has posted in the "DIY" section.

Also a good a rule of thumb is to install a new part in the reverse order that you UN-installed the stock part.

BOOM! Enjoy!
unless you are claustrophobic and then you can take it to your local muffler shop to have it installed. (tip: if you're paying more than $100, you've paid too much)

Man this thread was not really active for a couple of days and now new info came out, it's the hottest thread in this section. Shows how much interested everyone has with this awesome exhaust system.

I vote Tip B.
fsevofq400 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fsevofq400 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #287
lopro25

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tip B for my order please. Thank you.
lopro25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #288
Swift Racing Technologies

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furtive View Post
i think from previous post, first 30 can choose whatever. mainly after 30 is when i think they'll go with one... but dont quote me exactly on that.
You are absolutely correct, the first 30 preorders will have the choice as to which tip style they would like at NO ADDITIONAL COST

Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
So are all these aftermarket systems the kind of thing a fairly inexperienced person could install themselves?
Yes you can, we will have a do it yourself video up shortly for our header back exhaust system.

Quote:
That is correct, condensation will occur for either tip style when the exhaust system is cold, as the car reaches normal temperature the condensation disappears.

ALL: After the initial run for the intro pricing orders, the tip that is chosen to be popular will become the standard tip, and the other will become the optional tip. I will call or email everyone that has ordered and get the style of tip that they want, this definitely makes it more difficult for us but we are here to please all our customers and make it happen for everyone
Swift Racing Technologies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swift Racing Technologies For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-15-2012), mdf4uk (07-15-2012), white devil (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #289
fmsida

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsevofq400 View Post
unless you are claustrophobic and then you can take it to your local muffler shop to have it installed. (tip: if you're paying more than $100, you've paid too much)

Man this thread was not really active for a couple of days and now new info came out, it's the hottest thread in this section. Shows how much interested everyone has with this awesome exhaust system.

I vote Tip B.
I agree with this guy, but in my opinion I believe everyone should at least at one point in their life work on their car. I promise the feeling and satisfaction that you get from installing your own parts is far greater than paying someone else to install "bolt-on" parts.

If you have the extra money but not the time, then a muffler shop will be just fine. However, if you do have time then take a crack at it. People here will be more than glad to provide guidance /advertising assistance /advertising tips.:happy0180:
mdf4uk (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #290
fmsida

Quote:
I agree with this guy, but in my opinion I believe everyone should at least at one point in their life work on their car. I promise the feeling and satisfaction that you get from installing your own parts is far greater than paying someone else to install "bolt-on" parts.

If you have the extra money but not the time, then a muffler shop will be just fine. However, if you do have time then take a crack at it. People here will be more than glad to provide guidance /advertising assistance /advertising tips.:happy0180:
I meant advise not advertising. Damn auto text from my phone.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #291
mdf4uk

Drives: 13 Firestorm FRS MT & 09 DGM WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Tip B for my order.........Thanks!
mdf4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #292
Fly Guy

Drives: '91 MR2
Tip B is so nice!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #293
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Hey, are you guys going to be free tomorrow? Im heading up to NY tomorrow and thought about stopping by on my way up.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #294
scioneric

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tip B please
scioneric is offline   Reply With Quote