follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #57
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
One hiccup and your ready to jump ship? Cars are machines. Sh*t happens. Every new car I've ever owned has needed some type of warranty work. Maybe you're just not happy with the car in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalbiCool88 View Post
If the problem can be resolved without much to your expense, you still plan on selling? If that's the case, how are you ever going to hold onto a car for more than a year??
I have a faster car that takes priority really. I'm potentially stuck between having a broken race car and a working, sporty DD or having a working race car and a cheap, boring DD.

The FR-S just has some little things that bug the hell out of me. Torque in the mid range RPMs feels hampered, the seat belt height being un-adjustable is extremely annoying for a DD (it sits against my neck), my God the bass on the stock sound system is horrendous, and if it's going to throw engine codes as well (no matter how trivial) then it's probably best to just walk away. I'll be making a final decision on it next month.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #58
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Nothing that I've seen/felt. Happened while driving 15mph on a flat street.

I have a way to pull codes just can't do it at work. Will be doing it the second I get home. If it isn't trivial this might turn into the shortest owned RS 1.0.

Ya they'd better fix it. Warranties exist for a reason.

No.

270 miles into a tank? Doubtful.

This isn't my first rodeo guys. I posted it here to see if anyone would chime in with common issues and, mostly, because I'm frustrated as hell. I'll have the code(s) pulled and posted by 6:00PM PST. This thing is completely stock, has never been red lined, and mostly sees city driving. I would think 3-4 years into this platform this crap wouldn't be happening no matter how trivial it may/may not end up being.
Quote:
I have a faster car that takes priority really. I'm potentially stuck between having a broken race car and a working, sporty DD or having a working race car and a cheap, boring DD.

The FR-S just has some little things that bug the hell out of me. Torque in the mid range RPMs feels hampered, the seat belt height being un-adjustable is extremely annoying for a DD (it sits against my neck), my God the bass on the stock sound system is horrendous, and if it's going to throw engine codes as well (no matter how trivial) then it's probably best to just walk away. I'll be making a final decision on it next month.
did you even test drive the car before buying it?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #59
UtahSleeper

Drives: 80 Corolla 88 Celica Alltrac 13 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

Buckle the seatbelt to the corner of the seat. That worked for my GF.

And the bass, I hear, is fixed with a deck that actually lets you control your settings.
UtahSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #60
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Make sure your radio is set on FR-S rather than tC. Mine was delivered with the radio in the wrong preset.

Use the ties on the seat to guide the shoulder strap.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:32 AM   #61
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
*Knocks on wood* 41k miles and the only CEL i've ever gotten was a fuel pressure low/hi fault from the car sitting all winter. Reset and has never came back.

Hoping it's something simple like a bad sensor. Dealer may just reset it and see if it returns.

8900 miles since 8/13 and no CEL.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:35 AM   #62
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Quote:
Dealership replaced the sensor last week, code hasn't come back yet, probably still selling it anyways though.

Wow, one strike and you're out and you owned a Mitsubishi?! I swore off Mitsubishi years ago, they can't built a car or a tv that doesn't crap out within six months.

dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dnieves For This Useful Post:
Koa (02-27-2015), Lonewolf (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #63
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSleeper View Post
Buckle the seatbelt to the corner of the seat. That worked for my GF.

And the bass, I hear, is fixed with a deck that actually lets you control your settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Make sure your radio is set on FR-S rather than tC. Mine was delivered with the radio in the wrong preset.

Use the ties on the seat to guide the shoulder strap.
Those things don't fix the shoulder strap I tried that the day I first got the thing.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #64
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Pretty ironic that the car is yellow and that the car is a lemon. Should've picked a better color, bro.
Koa (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #65
Caspeed

Drives: FRS-RS1, Triumph Speed Triple, Lola
Garage
Quote:
Those things don't fix the shoulder strap I tried that the day I first got the thing.
Didn't you road test the car before buying it. All of those issues would have been there at that time.

As far as rubbing your neck that can also be addressed by altering you seating position. raise the seat bottom, adjust the seatback more upright it might help.

Next time be more critical when you test drive the car. That's why you drive the car. It's not for fun but rather part of a business decision.
Caspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #66
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspeed View Post
Didn't you road test the car before buying it. All of those issues would have been there at that time.

As far as rubbing your neck that can also be addressed by altering you seating position. raise the seat bottom, adjust the seatback more upright it might help.

Next time be more critical when you test drive the car. That's why you drive the car. It's not for fun but rather part of a business decision.
Please don't assume I'm an idiot. I know how to raise a seat and move it forward/backward. A seat belt sitting in an odd position may not bug you on a 10 or 20 minute test drive but after an hour or two hours you really start to notice it.

Some of you act like I'm the first person in the world to buy a car and change their mind on it a couple months later. I realize this is an 86 forum and many of you will be naturally inclined to be a little defensive about your rides but I haven't stated my full reasons for wanting to sell it and I don't really want to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
Darryljr11 (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #67
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Please don't assume I'm an idiot. I know how to raise a seat and move it forward/backward. A seat belt sitting in an odd position may not bug you on a 10 or 20 minute test drive but after an hour or two hours you really start to notice it.

Some of you act like I'm the first person in the world to buy a car and change their mind on it a couple months later. I realize this is an 86 forum and many of you will be naturally inclined to be a little defensive about your rides but I haven't stated my full reasons for wanting to sell it and I don't really want to.
I actually agree with you brother. I can't find a good position for the belt and for everything else. 6"3 and long legs make for a pretty fixed seating position. Thankfully (or not, depending on perspective) I wear collared shirts every work day, and just slide the seatbelt underneath the collar, works for me
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #68
Darryljr11
Sideways and Smiling!

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
The problem youre having should be an easy fix as I had it on my car. If replacing camshaft position sensors dont work the sensors will have to be shimmed. I had to shim three of my camshaft position sensors for the problem to go away and it may take multiple dealership visits. I was as discouraged as you seem and wanted to get rid of the car but with the problem fixed all is right with the world. I have an early 2013 BTW.
Darryljr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #69
Caspeed

Drives: FRS-RS1, Triumph Speed Triple, Lola
Garage
Quote:

I'm not assuming anything....neither positive or negative... that's why I suggested trying the seat adjustment.

You appear to be so unhappy with the car maybe you should try to get out of it. I hope you have better luck on your next choice.
Caspeed is offline   Reply With Quote