follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Shop that can repair bilstein coilovers?

Does anyone know if there is a place in the bay area that can repair bilstein coilovers? The allen key/hex hole for my front strut stripped when I was trying to remove the top nut from my camber plate.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
imo switch to using an impact driver, mine did the same, $50 corded impact driver from harbor freight is perfect for automotive jobs if you don't go HAM with it.

If you must have them fixed your best bet is to just send them down to Bilstein in Poway, the only other shop I know that might fix it is PSI in Sonoma but they may be distracted at the moment and likely charge more than Bilstein US to do the exact same job. Which will likely be to just replace the damper body, if not the whole damper, and charge you accordingly.

I'm trying to find a link to Bilstein US service but they've "upgraded" their website and it's damn near impossible now...

A machine shop may be able to do something for you, but I don't know what they would attempt or how well it would work. jmho switch to using an impact.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #3
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
imo switch to using an impact driver, mine did the same, $50 corded impact driver from harbor freight is perfect for automotive jobs if you don't go HAM with it.

If you must have them fixed your best bet is to just send them down to Bilstein in Poway, the only other shop I know that might fix it is PSI in Sonoma but they may be distracted at the moment and likely charge more than Bilstein US to do the exact same job. Which will likely be to just replace the damper body, if not the whole damper, and charge you accordingly.

I'm trying to find a link to Bilstein US service but they've "upgraded" their website and it's damn near impossible now...

A machine shop may be able to do something for you, but I don't know what they would attempt or how well it would work. jmho switch to using an impact.
For some reason it's only the driver side top nut that been giving me issues. The threads are fine on both the strut and the nut and I only had it slightly over hand tighten, but it seems like its impossible to unscrew. Didn't want to also spin the strut.

I contacted both PSI and Bilstein already. PSI quoted me half the cost of a brand new set of B14's. Bilstein has a $50 evaluation fee and depending on what they need to do, will add up. Bilstein also has a 8 week turn around time atm.

Just looking at options that are in the bay area so I can avoid shipping it as well as possibly having it done on the same day. Or else I would have to slap on the stock suspension if it gets shipped out and re-do my alignment as it's my DD.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@Bach415 I reached precisely the same conclusions and could not find any further info or options. Like I said, I just use an impact now with no issues. The seal you care about is inside the strut housing and is very safe from contamination and the impact driver if used properly and gently like in Vorshlag's video will only spin the damper a minimal amount in the housing.

Best of luck.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (10-17-2017)