follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
more like 250 lb., 2500+/- vs. 2750+/-
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
My bad cuz I kept hearing the NC is 2400lbs from all those Tom Matano and Bob Hall interviews on YouTube.

2458lbs is the lightest curb weight possible with the base model.

http://www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPa...modelYear=2013
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
Erci

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reni View Post
Yeah, I've never understood why Mazda always refused to make a coupe version... basically doubling their market for minimal engineering effort....
+1! There was this concept, but it never went to production (I'd hit it!)

Erci is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erci For This Useful Post:
Marchy (07-18-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I've never understood why Mazda always refused to make a coupe version... basically doubling their market for minimal engineering effort....
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28xb64AP6BU"]RARE, Factory-built: 2004 Mazda Roadster Coupe, Type S - Sports Model (MX-5 / Miata - NB8C) - YouTube[/ame]
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #18
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How could you see that silver coupe sitting on a car lot and not figure out a way to buy it? There is no way I could walk away from that.
FRSpappa (07-09-2014), michael_king (07-10-2014), van_fc3s (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
FRSpappa

Drives: 2014 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hopefully it's more impressive than that weak intro video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FRSpappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #20
noobcake

Drives: EVO X
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erci View Post
+1! There was this concept, but it never went to production (I'd hit it!)
hopefully it gets a style makeover. Current mazda lineup looks very similar to each other. Although the mazda 6 looks very similar to the the infiniti q50
noobcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #21
Erci

These are just artist renderings, but if it ended up looking close to that.. oh my!

Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #22
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erci View Post
These are just artist renderings, but if it ended up looking close to that.. oh my!
To each his own I guess...

This concept reminds me of how two good looking people can mate and spawn something with all the wrong parts (e.g. Demi Moore+Bruce Willis = Rumer Willis). Like an A5 or Camaro bent over a Boxster and the baby got every bad angle. There's something art deco about all that chrome. Somehow this manages to look even more feminine than the current Miata from the rear. Like a big flabby behind or like a shape that might be wearing a Chrysler badge. The front air dam and stance are nice, but as for the rest of it... :Barf:
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Erci (07-09-2014), Timmy_Jones (07-18-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #23
Erci

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
To each his own I guess...

This concept reminds me of how two good looking people can mate and spawn something with all the wrong parts (e.g. Demi Moore+Bruce Willis = Rumer Willis). Like an A5 or Camaro bent over a Boxster and the baby got every bad angle. There's something art deco about all that chrome. Somehow this manages to look even more feminine than the current Miata from the rear. Like a big flabby behind or like a shape that might be wearing a Chrysler badge. The front air dam and stance are nice, but as for the rest of it... :Barf:
Come on.. chrome can easily be *deleted*. You don't think the lines are nice on this one, otherwise?

But really.. of course to each his own AND chances are it won't look anything whatsoever like these renderings!
Old 07-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #24
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'll admit the turbo noises caught me off guard, I figured they'd stick NA and go with a less efficient 2.0L skyactiv in exchange for the horsepower, the current offering in the 3 is 155 horses and gets ~40 mpg freeway. Rework it for performance and I bet they could top the current miata motor easily.

Given the collaboration with Fiat I wouldn't be too surprised to see some form of MultiAir in here now that evidence points to turbo. The current Abarth unit is a decent contender as is but MOPAR had a concept that put 200 horses out from the 1.6L.

In any case it's like comparing the Toyobaru to a WRX, they're so different in terms of how they serve the owner that the numbers (hp, weight, cg, skidpad) are unlikely to enter the equation for most buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
I just bought a NA Miata and would certainly consider replacing my BRZ with a ND Miata if it weighs around 2200lbs and makes 200+HP which is what it sounds like is happening.
No way in hell will they hit those targets, that would be the fastest new sports car under $30k on the market. You're talking of a power to weight equivalent or better than newer Mustang/Challenger/Camaro V6/I4s, RX8, BMW 1 series, WRX STI, Gen Coupe 2.0 and I'm sure many others I'm forgetting.

Most safe bets are on a modest weight drop (~100 lbs), an engine equivalent or slightly better than what they are using currently (it'd be nice to deliver fuel economy befitting of a 4-banger in one of the lightest packages available), and an interior for this decade, if they can deliver all that while maintaining a price advantage (or at least competitive) on the Toyobaru they've nailed it.

Quote:
I was always under the impression that the Miata shared chassis with the RX-7 and RX-8 but I can't find anything to back it up.

Point being, Mazda built coupes and nobody bought them the last 20 years, why would a less practical coupe sell better than the ones that already failed? Blame the engine all you want, even if it had a turbo 4 with the same characteristics and reliability all the other criticisms would remain (speed vs. muscle cars, either too sharp or too wallowy, practicality etc.) and it would lack a bit of personality. If RX-7's and 8's were flying off the dealer lots they'd still be making a coupe, how would a less expensive, slower, less practical version seriously fair?

If all the comments on the internet truly added up to a profitable MX-5 Coupe I'd be able to buy the Mazda 6 diesel wagon I want today.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Rampage (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #25
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I'll admit the turbo noises caught me off guard, I figured they'd stick NA and go with a less efficient 2.0L skyactiv in exchange for the horsepower...
They say the car is not going to be evolutionary but instead revolutionary. If they really want that to be the case then they will use the Skyactive turbo diesel engine.

Quote:
No way in hell will they hit those targets, that would be the fastest new sports car under $30k on the market.
They will not make it down to 2200lbs as some pundits and posters are suggesting. I would be impressed if they manage 2350lbs. 200HP is not much of a stretch and seems to be the minimum that marketing will accept for a sports car these days. It would certainly be easier to reach if they go with 2.0L instead of a smaller turbo motor. I am still not convinced that the car will necessarily be turbocharged. Time will tell.

Quote:
If RX-7's and 8's were flying off the dealer lots they'd still be making a coupe, how would a less expensive, slower, less practical version seriously fair?
The RX7 was obscenely expensive for what it was (at least the FD35). It was also terribly unreliable. The early model RX7 sold well and was a coupe. The later Gen (excluding the FD35) was ugly and the RX8 is also ugly. If Mazda had made or would make a MX-5 coupe priced the same as the roadster then I believe it would sell just as well as the roadster. Many people who hate on the Miata do so because it is a convertible and therefore a "girl" or hairdresser's" car. I believe most track enthusiast would prefer a coupe also.

Of course, all this is speculation and my opinion and means absolutely nothing in the long run but it will be fun to see what the little Japanese zoom-zoom car company comes up with to counter the twins.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #26
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
It better have a turbo, if it does they will not b able to keep these in stock if the price is right!! A 2.0 liter turbo with 235 HP...or a 1.6 liter turbo with 220 hp...2400 pound curb weight....a boxster killer....
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #27
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@Rampage Totally agree on your engine speculations, I would love to see a diesel sports car, I'd be more inclined to believe it's possible if the current SkyActiv-D was already available here, maybe they're tuning it for the Miata which is why it hasn't hit here yet, idk as much as I'd like it, seems far fetched. If my car got wrecked and this thing is a diesel it would certainly make the short list.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...-diesel-delay/

~50 mpg freeway out of a sports car that also happens to have 310 ft-lbs of torque, 173 hp, that's a compelling case if it nails the fun factor.

As for the coupe, I already know the rotary engine pratfalls, I specifically mentioned them. Sure, I'll bite that the coupe can sell as many as the 'vert, but where will those sales come from? Certainly not out of Mustang or Camaros, probably not out of 370Z's or Gen coupes, sure it'll take the people who think the Toyobaru is bloated and don't need the seats or trunk space but who else? Is it going to coax out people who wouldn't otherwise buy a new sports car still driving their older RX-7s, 8's, 240sx's? Doubtful as the Toyobaru has been out for two years now if they wanted a new coupe they'd be driving it. I'd guess it would take a bite out of the 'vert sales, a bunch of extra R&D and tooling cost for a marginal increase in sales imo, it's not all of a sudden going to change the market, it doesn't offer anything the 'vert wouldn't except a roof and maybe an extra 3-4 cubic feet of trunk space (yes structural rigidity weight savings blah blah blah, that doesn't drive sales).

I just really don't see the point of a fixed roof Miata, I'd rather Mazda put the money into an RX-7 successor (the first generation, which sold insanely well) and a true Toyobaru fighter, whether it's got a rotary or not. (Please be a rotary)

To everyone else: seriously guys, you're all dreaming, go back and look at the initial speculation for the Toyobaru, they were all quoting <2,600 lbs and >200 horses, and as much as 250. That's next to impossible at the <$30k price point while meeting regulations.
~2400 lbs
~175 horses
~$25k
~RWD
I'll eat my hat if it's anything too far off of this.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Atropine (07-10-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #28
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The rear haunches of the new MX-5s renderings are kind of reminiscent of F-type/Eagle speedster I like it, it actually is like a roadster.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Erci (07-09-2014)